Has anyone used this Legend before?...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Has anyone used this Legend before?...

Post by wirinhar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:30 am

Hi Everyone,

I know nothing about spinning rod/gear and I might wanna buy this from my friend since he has let this rod sit inside his cabinet for many years.
LX1.jpg
LX1.jpg (238.28 KiB) Viewed 8097 times
LX2.jpg
LX2.jpg (177.96 KiB) Viewed 8097 times
LX3.jpg
LX3.jpg (155.63 KiB) Viewed 8097 times
my questions are:
is that a good rod for small jigs and small plastic swimbaits?
what will be the best spinning reel from Daiwa to match this rod?

Thank you all in advance.

WW

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Has anyone used this Legend before?...

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:07 am

That rod would be excellent for your intended purposes. St. Croix underrates their rods, so that will be a strong medium-power rod. I would say the Tatula LT 2500 would be an excellent partner to it. If you need more line capacity, go with the 3000 size.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:25 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:That rod would be excellent for your intended purposes. St. Croix underrates their rods, so that will be a strong medium-power rod. I would say the Tatula LT 2500 would be an excellent partner to it. If you need more line capacity, go with the 3000 size.
Thank you so much for info, Sir!!!.

To be frank with you, seeing many friends fishing from the rocks along sea shore makes me drooling.... catching 3-4 pounder Mangrove jacks, groupers and 7-10 ponders barramundis.

Since I am an old lazy man who never like to do servicing each time after fishing so I guess spinning gear will be better than bait casting gear fishing in salt water, correct me if I am wrong, Sir.

Once again, thank you so much for the great info and I will look into the Tatula LT2500...., this willl be my first spinning gear set up... \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ ... Promise i will keep you all posted :)

Regards,
WW

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:37 am

Yes, spinning gear is easier in saltwater. Be sure to wash down with clean freshwater, after each trip and then wipe dry with a clean cloth.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:Yes, spinning gear is easier in saltwater. Be sure to wash down with clean freshwater, after each trip and then wipe dry with a clean cloth.

Will do that, Sir and thank you!!!

One more thing, Can i just dip the whole spinning reel's spool inside clean freshwater for a couple of minutes or do i need to unload the whole line from the spool each time and just dip the line in the fresh water?

WW

Johnbt
Angler
Angler

Post by Johnbt » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:34 pm

I either hose down the rods and reels in the driveway or stand them up in the shower for a quick rinse. You don't have to remove the line.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:31 pm

Johnbt wrote:I either hose down the rods and reels in the driveway or stand them up in the shower for a quick rinse. You don't have to remove the line.
This is correct- a good rinse is all it takes. But do not blast it with the hose wide open. This can force the sand and salt down into the cracks instead of washing it off. A light spray of a couple minutes and a thorough drying in the sun should work. Don't forget, a good wipedown after rinsing is always a good idea.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:58 pm

Thanks Johnbt and Hoohoorjoo for great infos!!!

Regards,
Wirinhar

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:13 pm

I would go for the Saltist Back Bay 3000. It is a BG with a forged aluminum gear and mag seal. It will be heavier than the Tatula LT but is supposedly a super smooth and powerful spinning reel.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Only thing that bothers me, not sure your preference, is the length. Anymore I wish ALL of my spinning rods were +7', except for the 6'Light I creek fish with. A 6'6" isn't terrible, but pretty short, always like longer casts and taking up more line on a hookset...

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 am

LowRange wrote:I would go for the Saltist Back Bay 3000. It is a BG with a forged aluminum gear and mag seal. It will be heavier than the Tatula LT but is supposedly a super smooth and powerful spinning reel.
Great info and will look it up on the saltist Back Bay 3000.

WW

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:15 am

DirtyD64 wrote:Only thing that bothers me, not sure your preference, is the length. Anymore I wish ALL of my spinning rods were +7', except for the 6'Light I creek fish with. A 6'6" isn't terrible, but pretty short, always like longer casts and taking up more line on a hookset...
Thanks for the input, DirtyD64!!!

I agree with you on the length of the rod. I never like something below 7'. Most of the bc rods i have is +7'.

Well..... no choice at all cause it is what available now at the moment.

I am always interested in 7' with Extra Fast/Fast Action at least...... To be honest with you, I always love American Rods and they are pretty rare here and I was about to get the NRX Spinning Rods from TT (Gary) or the GRods International but at that time I was still not really sure if I needed it since I have had so many BC reels unused which can be used for light saltwater fishing here.
Now I regret and I always kept on telling myself that I should have had pulled the trigger ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) .

Let me just practise with this rod first for now and I am still looking for a reliable Daiwa spinning reel to match with it.
L1.jpg
L1.jpg (212.72 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
L2.jpg
L2.jpg (237.34 KiB) Viewed 7910 times
Once again, Thank you!

All information are welcome and much appreciated.

WW

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:21 am

I'm bothered by the fact that my +7' ML dropshot rod will be hard to replace. It is an Abu Villain 2.0, great feel, pretty sensitive, but non quality guides (still great so far though), good Fuji reel seat. If the guides go, I will try another brand. Probably have a time finding something to match its action. I like the St. Croix rods, but my price range ($200), the Avid X has micro guides which wouldn't work well with leader knots I assume.

Either way it will be an interesting search one day when my dropshot rod dies and gets buried in the backyard w/ other deceased tackle and pets.

Big-Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Big-Bass » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:57 pm

Either way it will be an interesting search one day when my dropshot rod dies and gets buried in the backyard w/ other deceased tackle and pets.[/quote]

That's a joke right? :D

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:54 am

DirtyD64 wrote:I'm bothered by the fact that my +7' ML dropshot rod will be hard to replace. It is an Abu Villain 2.0, great feel, pretty sensitive, but non quality guides (still great so far though), good Fuji reel seat. If the guides go, I will try another brand. Probably have a time finding something to match its action. I like the St. Croix rods, but my price range ($200), the Avid X has micro guides which wouldn't work well with leader knots I assume.

Either way it will be an interesting search one day when my dropshot rod dies and gets buried in the backyard w/ other deceased tackle and pets.
Now you make me wanting +7'ML rod ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ...

Thanks for info.

WW