Need some feedback on the Major Craft SpeedStyle

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Need some feedback on the Major Craft SpeedStyle

Post by SSS » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:34 pm

Thinking of grabbing one of these in a 2pc model. How are they compared to rods in the same'ish price range (Hyuga, Expride, Zodia, Volkey, etc)? If i do get one, its most likely gonna be in a Medium powered model.

Jkitchens
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Need some feedback on the Major Craft SpeedStyle

Post by Jkitchens » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:21 pm

Watching, I’m curious as well...
2018 Ranger RT 188 w / 115 PRO XS CT

beezy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by beezy » Sat Sep 22, 2018 1:03 pm

I've been praying that Major Craft brings some of these rods to the Fred Hall show in SoCal but they never do. I have a couple of their MS-1 and MS-X rods and I love them so I really want to get my hands on one of these.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Not many people with SpeedStyle's :-s I thought they'd be pretty popular here because the Volkey's sure were.

i_am_R2
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by i_am_R2 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:44 pm

I have the heavy and light casting models and think they are nice rods. Very versatile with more JDM tapers so they are a little lighter than specs would indicate. The heavy is more like a strong medium heavy. Very good sensitivity and components/build quality in my hands but they aren't necessarily the lightest rods. Well balanced though so they don't feel heavy. The only rods I can compare them to is the Zodias. I would say sensitivity is similar to the Zodias which in my hands is very good. The lure weighting seems about right to me also. They are fun rods to fish in my opinion. Hope this helps!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:53 pm

I have a 6’ 7” ML spinning model my wife bought me for Christmas 2016. I am an avid UL Angler so have not used it except to rip a scrounger head in a tailrace for big brown trout. It is super sensitive.....light in weight.....3.5 ounces. The fit and finish is great......compares with my high end Major Craft UL Rods. It serves its purpose I bought it for very well. I have it rigged with 10# mono and am able to horse 3-6 pound browns in against the current without pulling anchor. I mean I have this thing bent into a U. It’s a shame I don’t really have more use for it than that. IMHO...... is a superior rod to the Volkey.

Regards

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:55 pm

Good stuff.