Kuying Teton arrival, unpacking, first impressions ...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Kuying Teton arrival, unpacking, first impressions ...

Post by uljersey » Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:50 pm

TTC662L ordered from Aliexpress on 10/13, got it today. 16 days, not unreasonable for free shipping (yeah, nothing's free 8-) )from the other side of the world. Paid $62.81 USD, look at the value given on the invoice sheet .... hmmmmmm :-k

Shipped in PVC pipe. I'm impressed, I've never had a rod delivered in it. I'm curious as to whether it was the particular seller's decision to ship this way or perhaps Kuying had too many damaged in transit rods in the past and decided to take preventive action. If anyone else here has got a rod from them, how was it shipped to you ?

Bubble wrap the entire length. Good to see.

Still not there yet - padded rod sock. Nice touch.

Tags

I inspected both sections under a magnifying lamp, couldn't find any defects or blemishes. Nice work on the guide wraps, no air bubbles in the epoxy, wraps were done well. I assembled it to check for straightness, proper spine and guide alignment. Blank is straight, guides (10 including tip) are dead nuts aligned and the seat/guides are in proper relation to the spine. The French cork is new to me, my taste runs more toward traditional cork, this is likely a way to minimize cost but it's not too over the top for me. Perhaps it will grow on me over time.

It got the ferrule lubed and a coat of U-40 on the handle, tomorrow the blank will get a coat of car wax (I do it to all of my rods annually) .... still waiting on the Tsurinoya XR-50 reel to arrive, then I will put the rod to the test. So far so good, I like what I see but it has to perform well. We'll see soon enough.
ImageImage

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Kuying Teton arrival, unpacking, first impressions ...

Post by montey » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:50 pm

Nice. I have two of the spinning version of that rod. I love them. They have an excellent crisp action and cast well.
Both have a totally straight backbone and the guides are straight. I have caught bass and pike up to 3.5lbs and it handled them great. For me it's a perfect 6lb test line rod. Enjoy!

swoffer
Angler
Angler

Post by swoffer » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:05 am

This was one of the few threads that went mostly unappreciated, but it was one which triggered me to do my own thread.

http://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=80292

so thank you! :D

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:39 pm

Bumping this quality thread to report that neither of my 3 Kuying rods came in a PVC tube. I have the Teton 662L, Leadership LSC762L and Topcaster TCC702ML. All of these were purchased before this review so it is possible that Kuying may have changed the packaging. The 3 Kuyings I have came in the same type of cardboard tube my non-Kuying Aliexpress rods came in. It is a tube that is similar to what you find in the states but not quite as rigid and the ends are cardboard with tape as opposed to the plastic end caps we see in the US from places like Tackle Warehouse.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:44 am

Seems to just depend on the shipper and even then it can be luck of the draw. Most of the huge rod companies ship exclusively in cardboard. For smaller volume or one-off sales PVC is pretty common now though. For that price shipped from the other side of the world I’m surprised it didn’t show up wrapped in newspaper.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:13 pm

I have two of those exact rods, the tip section broke on the first one (obvious defect), it’s replacement and rod #2 have been great. I have a Pixy Type R on one and an Alphas Type R on the other. It’s a blast to use catching the dink Bass we have so many of around here.

MBB Nate
Angler
Angler

Post by MBB Nate » Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 am

Looks nice. I just got my Ace Hawk 2 piece rod. Comes with a light and ultra light tip. The rod was like $37. It shipped in PVC and came with a rod holder as well. My initial after 1 trip on the water is this rod is UNBELIEVABLE for $37. It feels like a quality rod.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:26 am

MBB Nate wrote:
Fri Aug 30, 2019 11:17 am
Looks nice. I just got my Ace Hawk 2 piece rod. Comes with a light and ultra light tip. The rod was like $37. It shipped in PVC and came with a rod holder as well. My initial after 1 trip on the water is this rod is UNBELIEVABLE for $37. It feels like a quality rod.
Is Ace Hawk a Kuying rod?
I've never seen it before.

MBB Nate
Angler
Angler

Post by MBB Nate » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:20 pm

It's just another chinese bfs rod. Its a 2 piece and comes with a light and ultralight section.