Need a Pitching and Frog Rod...Help...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Need a Pitching and Frog Rod...Help...

Post by mthao105 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:38 pm

Hey TT,

I'm in need of a rod to fill out the heavy techniques in my arsenal. The main techniques I'm looking to cover are pitching/flipping 3/8 - 1/2 ounce plastics and throwing frogs in sparse to moderate cover. I've been looking at a couple rods, but the two that have intrigued me the most are the Shimano Expride 76H and the Megabass XX Perfect Pitch. I'm open to other suggestions as well, but I want to stay under that $300 price point. Those who have experience with the sticks above, please do share your thoughts on them as well.

Thank you!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need a Pitching and Frog Rod...Help...

Post by poisonokie » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:33 pm

You could get Ish Monroe's signature series AGS Tatula for that. Bet that's one hell of a rod!
This is the way.

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:54 pm

poisonokie wrote:You could get Ish Monroe's signature series AGS Tatula for that. Bet that's one hell of a rod!
I'm a big fan of Ish's 7'4 Frog rod, I got two mainly for frogging, but have used it from time to time for pitching as well. As a bonus, I really like it as a swim jig rod too. I haven't used the other two rods, though I've heard great things about both. I'd say your picking from some solid options!

bronzebacks
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bronzebacks » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 pm

Kistler h3 7'3" or 7'6" h

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:28 pm

MNBassin03 wrote:
poisonokie wrote:You could get Ish Monroe's signature series AGS Tatula for that. Bet that's one hell of a rod!
I'm a big fan of Ish's 7'4 Frog rod, I got two mainly for frogging, but have used it from time to time for pitching as well. As a bonus, I really like it as a swim jig rod too. I haven't used the other two rods, though I've heard great things about both. I'd say your picking from some solid options!
I really want one myself. I wanna try those AGS guides. It would look sweet with a 9.1 Zillion SV, too. I throw frogs with a Tat 7'6" flipping stick with a OG Tat 100 type r 8.1, and it works great (slings frogs forever and has a perfect taper for it) but if I see one for sale, I'll probably pull the trigger on it.
This is the way.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:41 pm

bronzebacks wrote:Kistler h3 7'3" or 7'6" h
Or the new zbone 7 6h. My first day pitching with it into sloppy cheese today. I can’t begin to praise it. Had a great bite as a warm front is moving in so really got a feel for it. Detected bites pitching and punching into thick mats. As sensitive of a rod as I’ve ever used for this application. Probably more sensitive than any rod I’ve pitched with. Plus it’s a beast. I can’t overstate beast. There were a couple times I thought about getting in the water to retrieve the fish today. Instead, I just took it really slow and worked half a lakes worth of grass in with the fish. You could pull out tree stumps with this rod if you took it slow.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:18 pm

I really like my Perfect Pitch and use it for the exact applications you described

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Thank you guys for the replies! Guess I have some more options to look at now.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:21 pm

evilcatfish wrote:I really like my Perfect Pitch and use it for the exact applications you described
Do you have the older generation or the gen 2? I've seen a few posts about how they're a bit different from each other.

evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by evilcatfish » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:27 pm

mthao105 wrote:
evilcatfish wrote:I really like my Perfect Pitch and use it for the exact applications you described
Do you have the older generation or the gen 2? I've seen a few posts about how they're a bit different from each other.
I have the gen 2 model, I think it would be a good pick for you

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:43 pm

Kister HE3 7'3H is good for your techniques

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:26 pm

I have the gen 1 XX PP and it is perfect for frogging and pitching. I hear the gen 2 rods are softer and more moderate than the gen 1 but the gen 2 stick should still be adequate.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:04 pm

I had a gen1 Orochi XX Tour Versatile. That would work well. Its 7ft long. I prefer a longer rod for flipping. The taper would be nice for it and also for frogging.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:18 pm

Day in and day out the Perfect Pitch is probably my most used rod. Followed very closely behind by the DSR. The PP is an amazing frog rod and personally I like the G2 model more than the G1 as well. Extremely versatile rod and I catch myself with 3 of them on deck almost all the time. Great jig rod as well. I usually like 3/8oz and up stuff on it. I have always said this rod is aptly named. As a frog rod it also shines. I caught my PB frog fish on it at Fork that went 10 1/2 lbs out of the pads and it handled it just fine. Have caught quite a few on it with a frog in the 6-8lb range as well.

mthao105
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mthao105 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:17 pm

Thank you all for the information. I think I'm going to go with the perfect pitch.