Megabass Orochi Aklys OR Destroyer Warhammer

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
chadwickz71
Angler
Angler

Megabass Orochi Aklys OR Destroyer Warhammer

Post by chadwickz71 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:15 pm

Need a little help from you Megabass fans. I run loomis NRX exclusively and my brother has really come to like the Orochi series.

He has a Spec-R, Perfect Pitch, and Leviathan.

I was going to get him a new Megabass rod for Christmas as he has been talking about get the Aklys to fill a little space between the perfect pitch and leviathan. He loves the leviathan but as you guys know who have one its a pretty stout, large diameter no BS blank. Overkill most of the time if not throwing some heavy weight with it.

Before i go that rod the Destroyer series has the Warhammer in a 8.5 power same length and is marketed as a similar punching rod.

Aklys or Warhammer?

I hate to change lineups if the Destroyer series fishes or holds a bunch different than the Orochi, but heck it shouldn't.....

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Orochi Aklys OR Destroyer Warhammer

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:21 pm

I was in this predicament myself. I hope some people have had some time with both rods and can weigh in. I went the custom route after NFC had 65% off their blanks.

If it doesnt work out...may be back to square one.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by M Perry » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:14 pm

The Aklys is a true meat stick. As nice a rod as it is the Warhammer is just simply one of those models that I love. I use both of mine a ton. The balance and feel is amazing for the overall length. It is very comfortablke in hand and you have all the power you will ever need in wrenching fish out of the thick stuff. I even use mine a bit on some swimbait work also. The Warhammer will be more versatile in my opinion.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:54 pm

Saw this topic and had a question similar so I thought I’d ask it here—Between the Aklys and Leviathan, which one would offer the most versatility? Primary use would be flip/punch heavy cover, but would one be better suited to small glide bait/swim bait duties?
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:33 am

Have you read the Warhammer review?

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewmb17des ... ammer.html

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:34 am

i did. Was looking to stay in the Orochi lineup, but that one does look like a sweet stick!
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush