Champion 734 vs Sierra 734

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Champion 734 vs Sierra 734

Post by russ57 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:41 pm

Do you guys think the champ is worth the upgrade? TW has a killer deal at $120 for sierras right now, but i have been eyeing a champ 734 for a while. Will be an all purpose rod.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Champion 734 vs Sierra 734

Post by Heddonfrog » Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:41 pm

You know your buying habits and fixations better than anyone. It’s not a matter of hearing what everyone thinks about their experiences with a Champ Vs Sierra, it’s are you going to buy the Sierra basing the decision on financial practicality when it’s been emotion driving your “want” for a Champion and then a month or two thinking “damn, I should have bought the XP” you then sell and buy your dream rod. Did you really save any money? Nope. Not many of us on this board will save money when we know we can eek out an infinitesimal amount of extra performance by spending a little more. Personally I’d buy a excellent used or pre-owned unused HP for about the price of an XP and then you don’t have to worry that you left some performance on the table.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:00 pm

I went in with the hopes of purchasing a champion xp 734 last year and couldn’t find one but they had a sale on the Sierra’s and went with it. Am I curious as to what the champion offers over it, sure. Do I regret getting the rod, heck no! For the money I payed it has been an unbelievable rod! I do wish I had the champion but have been super pleased with my seirra’s! It also gave me the extra money for a reel and lures so I was very pleased. If you have the money get the champion but if money is an issue the Sierra is an excellent rod

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:12 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:I went in with the hopes of purchasing a champion xp 734 last year and couldn’t find one but they had a sale on the Sierra’s and went with it. Am I curious as to what the champion offers over it, sure. Do I regret getting the rod, heck no! For the money I payed it has been an unbelievable rod! I do wish I had the champion but have been super pleased with my seirra’s! It also gave me the extra money for a reel and lures so I was very pleased. If you have the money get the champion but if money is an issue the Sierra is an excellent rod
When you were in the market did you check the Dobyns site in the trade-ins and refurbs? I’ve seen up to 6 pages (currently only 2) with lots of options available.

http://dobynsrods.com/store/#!/Refurbis ... ort=normal

You can always call and talk to Gary or his son about what trades are inbound and even bounce thoughts & questions off them. One of the things I like about Dobyns, Kistler and G-Rods is that open line of communication with the owners. Btw, who you crappin’ brother? you still would have bought that new reel and those new baits if you’d have bought the XP, haha it’s just what we do

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
Matt_3479 wrote:I went in with the hopes of purchasing a champion xp 734 last year and couldn’t find one but they had a sale on the Sierra’s and went with it. Am I curious as to what the champion offers over it, sure. Do I regret getting the rod, heck no! For the money I payed it has been an unbelievable rod! I do wish I had the champion but have been super pleased with my seirra’s! It also gave me the extra money for a reel and lures so I was very pleased. If you have the money get the champion but if money is an issue the Sierra is an excellent rod
When you were in the market did you check the Dobyns site in the trade-ins and refurbs? I’ve seen up to 6 pages (currently only 2) with lots of options available.

http://dobynsrods.com/store/#!/Refurbis ... ort=normal

You can always call and talk to Gary or his son about what trades are inbound and even bounce thoughts & questions off them. One of the things I like about Dobyns, Kistler and G-Rods is that open line of communication with the owners. Btw, who you crappin’ brother? you still would have bought that new reel and those new baits if you’d have bought the XP, haha it’s just what we do
Living in Canada it’s a bit more of a pain purchasing from the states so I was looking for a dobyns in Canada as I had never fished one or barely handled one prior. But the only store I found local dropped dobyns and was blowing out the remaining stock.

Your totally right about that hahaha, it was just nice to walk out with a smaller bill then usual! Never bought a rod without buying s new reel lol or lures for that matter.

OhioChamp183
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by OhioChamp183 » Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:42 am

you can get Sierra's for $103.50, when using their 10% off gift cards.
Bought a $115 gift card for $103.50, and bought the Sierra 703C with the $115 gift card! 8-)

Reservoir
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reservoir » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:48 am

I have both, and I use the Sierra more than the champ. For a cheap rod, I love the feel of it when you’re hooked into a lmb or a striped bass. But if you want something a tad bit lighter and more sensitivity, champion is the way to go.

Dam0007
Angler
Angler

Post by Dam0007 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 7:33 am

Not the same rod. I just had this decision myself. I already own, use and love the DC 734 XP just wanted another rod for Spinnerbaits as my dc is my go to Chatterbait rod and back up Jig rod. Idk how to explain it any better but if you stand the rod up and pull on the tip it loads to the second guide from the tip then begins to transition into the upper mid section of the blank. The Sierra is more of a parabolic bend from the tip to the upper mid section. IMO opinion the XP is superior in action and sensitivity. But doesn’t mean the Sierra is bad by any means, definitely a great moving bait rod. But if your looking for bottom contact but can do everything rod, Go champion. I legit wish I owned 5 of them at times.
CT BASS Nation