OROCHI vs Orochi

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

OROCHI vs Orochi

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 23, 2018 7:39 pm

In terms of the 2017 vs the 2018

Any improvements?
Most of the time I see companies try to build on something they actually take a step backwards so I thought I'd ask before I leaped.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: OROCHI vs Orochi

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 9:36 pm

Depends on who you talk to. I haven't fished the new model, but I'm going to stay tuned into this thread :big grin:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:39 pm

I’m interested too
I don’t understand the xx vs. the xxx
I hope someone clarifys what that means. I got a text message about a black Elseil about five minutes ago ( it’s 0233 now ) that said it was better than the current offerings. The other day a megabass Rep told me that the FMJ is about as close I’ll get to a longer super rekkai, which is sorta what I’m looking for. I heard a lot about the EMTF but I never pulled the trigger because I’m not sure how the current one compares to the old one. I like a cork megabass rod and after having two Faust I’d like to see what the Orochi life is like. But I won’t compromise even though I’m on a budget
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

MediumHeavy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MediumHeavy » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:44 pm

I can only compare the Perfect Pitch models, but with limited time on the gen 2 version at that.

The gen 2 PP has a slightly deeper flex and slightly less power than the gen 1 version. It seems more of a JDM power and taper than the original. That said, it’s going to be different for everybody whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing in terms of improvement over the previous generation. I like the newer Perfect Pitch but they are slightly different animals, to be sure.

I haven’t tried any of the XXX models, but I think because the new Orochi XX line share basically the same cosmetics and blank materials, some folks had predetermined ideas about what they were going to be like. I get it, but seems a little unfair considering the lengths and other specs are different.

Never tried a Super Rekkai, but the FMJ is an incredible stick.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:48 pm

Thanks
I appreciate the feedback

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:13 am

I assume you are referring to the XX series.

I have a couple of the original ones:. Stinger Shot and the DSR. I got the new XX Braillist for Xmas. Obviously no time with it yet, but it for a 7'5" rod is is nicely balanced. Ever so slightly tip heavy when compared to a 7'2" rod. One big improvement is SiC guides...old ones had Alconites. The new XX look nicer too IMO. I will spool it up and do some pitching in the next couple of days.

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:14 am

goldrod wrote:I’m interested too
I hope someone clarifys what that means. I got a text message about a black Elseil about five minutes ago ( it’s 0233 now ) that said it was better than the current offerings. The other day a megabass Rep told me that the FMJ is about as close I’ll get to a longer super rekkai, which is sorta what I’m looking for. I heard a lot about the EMTF but I never pulled the trigger because I’m not sure how the current one compares to the old one. I like a cork megabass rod and after having two Faust I’d like to see what the Orochi life is like. But I won’t compromise even though I’m on a budget
XX is USDM. XXX is JDM. But they are also different designs, tapers and lengths.

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:40 am

I was just thinking this.......
After a full summer and almost a year with the new XXs being released how are they comparing to the original XXs.

I got a ton of flak with comments or observations I made about the new XX vs the JDM XXX.....but that was all from either people who are associated with MB or sell MB, so you know......
Instagram @___bradb

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Dec 26, 2018 10:01 am

biggs wrote:I was just thinking this.......
After a full summer and almost a year with the new XXs being released how are they comparing to the original XXs.

I got a ton of flak with comments or observations I made about the new XX vs the JDM XXX.....but that was all from either people who are associated with MB or sell MB, so you know......

WHAT were your observation?

biggs
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by biggs » Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:41 pm

goldrod wrote:
biggs wrote:I was just thinking this.......

WHAT were your observation?
MY observations were that the new XX rods seemed like re-badged XXX rods which would not be an improvement over the original XX rods.

ANYWAY, interested in this topic because there is a model in the new XX lineup that interests me. Might wait for the new Levantes but we will see.
Instagram @___bradb

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:13 pm

This has been discussed ad nauseum here:

viewtopic.php?f=46&t=77055

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:58 pm

goldrod wrote:I’m interested too
The Black Elseil II is a fine rod as long as you have reasonable expectations. I was an early adopter of the BE2 from the xXx line and saw the claims of increased backbone due to the Kabt fibers. Unfortunately I found out that it is a pretty standard fare medium powered rod. It has way less power than my Zodias 172M which I was expecting it to be similar in power but just a little softer. I use it for jerkbaits but the handle is strangely long. Longer than even the 172M Zodias handle. The rod works for what I bought it for but the taper is nothing special and that is usually my most like attribute of MB rods.