St Croix Legend & Avid

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

St Croix Legend & Avid

Post by Reverendo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:36 pm

I'm looking for a 7 to 7'6" MH spinning rod with a split grip. Specifically I'm looking at the Legend X, Legend Tournament, and even the Avid X... but will consider other makes as well. While I do want rod that is light and sensitive, I'm afraid the top end graphite in the Legend X might be too brittle. If you were looking for sensitive rod with a good amount of lifting power, and one you're not afraid to snap, which of these would you lean towards? BTW most of my fishing is in the backcountry in South Florida for snook, reds, trout, etc... and no, I don't high stick-- much. lol. Nor do I break rods in this manner, it's just that after reading reviews on some high end rods, there's always seems to be someone complaining that their rod snapped. I don't want to dish out good money and have the rod break on a simple hook set.

falcon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: St Croix Legend & Avid

Post by falcon » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:43 pm

My vote is the 7’6 legend elite. Sorry wasn’t one of your options
Legend Alpha 211/Merc 250 Pro XS

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:31 pm

The legends are very nice in whatever outfit they're wearing. There's also an inshore range, which might suit you too. The blanks are pretty tough, but they're not Ugly Sticks. Unless you do something very daft or get very unlucky I wouldn't worry about breaking them, but if you do it might be an expensive enough lesson to stop you doing whatever you did again in the future! :lol:

dhottle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dhottle » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:24 am

The top end legend elites & legend extremes have never had a reputation for being brittle or experiencing any breakage issues. Neither have the avids or legend tournaments. I have owned several dozen over the years & have never worried about breakage. Their warranty would protect you anyway if you have any problems.

ss30378
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by ss30378 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:31 am

I've never had any issues with any st croix rod, and if I did they have a great warranty and customer service. The SC3, 4, and 5 blanks have held up to anything I've thrown at them. I see you go from the SC3 avid blank to the SC5 legend x but skip the SC4 legend tournament line. Those may be worth looking into.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:03 am

ss30378 wrote:I've never had any issues with any st croix rod, and if I did they have a great warranty and customer service. The SC3, 4, and 5 blanks have held up to anything I've thrown at them. I see you go from the SC3 avid blank to the SC5 legend x but skip the SC4 legend tournament line. Those may be worth looking into.
Agreed. The LT series may be a great compromise. They have one in the wheelhouse of your specs too, the Power Swim:

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the input. And no, I haven't ruled out the LT series. I like them a lot.
Can some of you in the know tell me the basic differences in materials from the Legend Elite to theLegend X, to the Legend Tournament series?

Someone mentioned the Extreme and Tournament Inshore series. I like that Extreme too but I wonder how that white split handle wrap will hold up?

slipperybob
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by slipperybob » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:29 pm

Reverendo wrote:Thanks for all the input. And no, I haven't ruled out the LT series. I like them a lot.
Can some of you in the know tell me the basic differences in materials from the Legend Elite to theLegend X, to the Legend Tournament series?

Someone mentioned the Extreme and Tournament Inshore series. I like that Extreme too but I wonder how that white split handle wrap will hold up?
If you're afraid of breaking a LE or LEX then just go with the LT's.

I have identical LE and LT and I fish with more power on the LT just because of the slight more weight of the rod.

The LT's mostly have a heavier line guide. More technique specifics. I will probably add more from the LT line up first.

LEX's are more of smaller lighter weight line guides. I don't own any of these. I'm content with the few LE's that I have.

I will pick a Legend series rod easily over that of an Avid series.
slip bobbing is the laziest way to fish

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:51 pm

Well I went with the Avid X, as the Legend's price scared me off a bit. I still haven't ruled out the Legends but decided on baby steps first.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:39 pm

Reverendo wrote:Well I went with the Avid X, as the Legend's price scared me off a bit. I still haven't ruled out the Legends but decided on baby steps first.
Very cool. Let us know how she fishes. 8-)

WannaGoFishing
Angler
Angler

Post by WannaGoFishing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:38 pm

I have a 7’ Avid X MF spinning rod. Very light (4.1 oz on my scale) and very sensitive. The first few times out, I was settting the hook way too early and lost a bunch of fish (and that was with 8lb mono). Now I’m using 15lb braid, and the sensitivity and power is even greater. The only downside is that it looks kind of boring. But it’s a great rod, the favorite one in my aresenal even though I’ve gravitated towards baitcasters

nolegsinmiami
Angler
Angler

Post by nolegsinmiami » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 am

has anyone fished either of the Legend Tournament 8'6" models and can render an opinion?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:54 pm

nolegsinmiami wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:37 am
has anyone fished either of the Legend Tournament 8'6" models and can render an opinion?
I have the 8'6 ML. It feels like they extended the butt section of the blank a foot to make it that length. Due to the length, it can really toss hair jigs. It's not the most sensitive rod in the world, but I didn't really buy it for that.