Rod Shipping

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rod Shipping

Post by smallies » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:45 pm

I have been shipping rods across the United States for the last 10 years, and have never paid more than about $40 to ship a rod. I went to my local UPS today, which I have probably shipped 15-20 rods from, and usually pay about 30-40$. They told me it would cost $251 to UPS ground ship a rod, cheap as possible. I walked out, and went to FexEx. They told me it would be $192 to ground ship the rod. I left there as well. I have never seen anything near those numbers... It was a standard TW rod tube. Have you guys experienced anything like that recently?

chreim20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Rod Shipping

Post by chreim20 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:16 pm

Yes, actually today, I went to ship a rod through FedEx and it was crazy high, like well over a $100. However, I cut the tube down as far as possible and got an estimate through USPS and it was $20. I think when you get over 90 inches for the l x w x h then they start charging a lot more, like a surcharge or something. As much business these shipping companies are getting with all the online shopping and low fuel costs, you'd think the price would stay steady or even drop. I feel your pain, lol ](*,)

Real Pudd legend
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Real Pudd legend » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 pm

Those guys are not doing the measuremts correctly . I live in California and if I go fed ex and ship a rod (2” pvc ) to Texas it cost me $20 with insurance. If I ship to Florida For instance it will run me $32. Usps to Florida will be $26... UPS is the ultimate ripoff . Fed ex surprisingly as of late has been pretty darn fair for me and a guarantee the rod gets there in one piece .

Aquaftm45
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:43 pm

Shipped three rods in a 3" x 87 inch pvc tube from Vegas to Fl this week via Fed EX. $36 with $499 insurance (rods are worth way more, but hedging by bets). Gauranteed 4 business day delivery. Well worth the cost to fish with my own stuff.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:36 am

Everything is expensive and getting worse
I was thinking about a new boat. That was a bad idea.
As far as shipping rods I ship in pvc tubes and I pay for then
added weight to ensure the seller gets an undamaged but it does hurt the pockets
Chase your dreams for they won't chase you.
Instagram is @1ncetime

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:58 am

There are also the discounts given to volume shippers by robbing the little guy. Gotta find the green somewhere.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:26 am

Price increase for already way overpriced prices.
I wouldn't be surprised if soon an Express EMS shipping from Japan would cost cheaper than local ground shipping in US.
Cost of shipping of 1 piece rod from Japan by UPS is around ~$40, delivery - 3-4 business days.
Buy in Japan, get shipped directly from Japan!

2019 Shipping Carrier Rate Changes
eBay

UPS®, FedEx®, and USPS® announced their 2019 rate increases and the additional costs will affect your eBay business.

UPS rate changes went into effect December 26, 2018. They have increased an average of 4.9% across most services.

FedEx Express and FedEx Ground parcel movements increased by approximately 4.9% January 7, 2019.

USPS will be making the following changes January 27, 2019.

• USPS First Class packages are increasing an average of 11.9%*
◦ Note that USPS First Class Package Service pricing will change from a flat rate per ounce to zone-based pricing per ounce
• USPS Priority Mail increases an average of 5.9%*.
• Changes in weight distribution of packages will affect pricing on USPS packages starting in June.

CyYak_Fishing
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by CyYak_Fishing » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm

That happened to me once and after cutting down the tube, I was still getting quoted higher than normal at the the post office. Went online and was quoted much less using the Click-n-Ship option so I printed a label and went back to the same post office to drop off the rod, no questions asked. They couldn’t explain why their quote in-store didn’t match what I was quoted online. It’s the only way I ship rods now. :-s