St Croix Legend rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

St Croix Legend rods

Post by kstephes033 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:26 pm

So I’m looking to grab a few new rods and am wanting some legit intel on some of the different legend models. I am looking specifically at the Legend Tourney and Legend X (elite reviews are fine as well since basically the same rod). I am looking at the 7’5” HMF Tourney rod vs the 7’4” H Legend X, and the 7’6” MHMF in either model. Just wondering how balance points are, sensitivity difference, and what suits fishing 1/2oz jigs for the heavy rods and 1/2oz plastics on the MH. I will be putting chronarch mgl on two of them, a bantam mgl on one, and a met mgl on the other. Just want some opinions before I buy since the only one I can get my hands on around here is the legend Tourney 7’5” H. Thanks!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: St Croix Legend rods

Post by goldrod » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:59 pm

The bantam and legend Extreme will be great
That rod is great at 7’4” and I don’t think you will be disappointed at all
Go with floro.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:51 pm

im gaining quite a few legend elites lately and really enjoy them a lot. i do not have the 7'4 hvy rod yet but i do have the 7'6 med hvy mod fast on its way it should be here weds I have a bantam going on the rod so ill get back to you on balance ect.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:15 am

I have a couple of the 7ft6mhmf Legend Elites, i love them.....They are very sensitive, dont think ive missed many bites..... Cant say its nrx sensitive, but damn good. The build is excellent, quality cork, and the reel seat is super comfortable. To me, if fishes like a fast action rod and more of a heavy instead of a mh(which i like).....the handle is a little longer than most, which i also like....its a little heavier at 5.50 ounces and balances on the cork foregrip with a 7.5 ounce reel....it feels right at home with a 1/2 jig....

jmd_143
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jmd_143 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:57 am

Black Haze wrote:I have a couple of the 7ft6mhmf Legend Elites, i love them.....They are very sensitive, dont think ive missed many bites..... Cant say its nrx sensitive, but damn good. The build is excellent, quality cork, and the reel seat is super comfortable. To me, if fishes like a fast action rod and more of a heavy instead of a mh(which i like).....the handle is a little longer than most, which i also like....its a little heavier at 5.50 ounces and balances on the cork foregrip with a 7.5 ounce reel....it feels right at home with a 1/2 jig....
What would you say the upper limit is for this rod? you mention its great with a half oz jig, but can it go higher or would you need to step up to the 7'4 Heavy for baits around 3/4 oz? Specifically thinking for 3/4 oz footballs or Crigs using 3/4 oz weights. Typically using Floro not braid.

Black Haze
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Black Haze » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:57 pm

jmd_143 wrote:
Black Haze wrote:I have a couple of the 7ft6mhmf Legend Elites, i love them.....They are very sensitive, dont think ive missed many bites..... Cant say its nrx sensitive, but damn good. The build is excellent, quality cork, and the reel seat is super comfortable. To me, if fishes like a fast action rod and more of a heavy instead of a mh(which i like).....the handle is a little longer than most, which i also like....its a little heavier at 5.50 ounces and balances on the cork foregrip with a 7.5 ounce reel....it feels right at home with a 1/2 jig....
What would you say the upper limit is for this rod? you mention its great with a half oz jig, but can it go higher or would you need to step up to the 7'4 Heavy for baits around 3/4 oz? Specifically thinking for 3/4 oz footballs or Crigs using 3/4 oz weights. Typically using Floro not braid.
I never threw any c-rigs with it, but i did fish hula grubs an a 3/4 football and i think it fished great...prob wouldnt ever fish anything heavier than that even though its rated to 1 1/4oz...ive never fished the 7ft4 heavy so i cant compare....ido have a 7ft3 x-heavy big jig rod in the St Croix Legend Tourn. series and its a broom stick with no tip...

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:27 am

Threw some baits around with mine I really like the taper it’s more of a fast than mod fast had a 3/4 oz football jig tied in for a bit and it felt good with that weight and it also was great with 1/2 oz jig head with Keitech on it. Have it paired with a bantam and balanced on the foregrip half way up. It’s not as sensitive as some of my z bones or nrx rods but sensitivity is still great and the build quality is also nice as with all the legend elites I have