Steez AGS casting rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Steez AGS casting rods

Post by Obz » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:32 pm

I know the spinning rods received high praise, anyone use the 7'1" MH or H casting rods?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Steez AGS casting rods

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:27 pm

Obz wrote:I know the spinning rods received high praise, anyone use the 7'1" MH or H casting rods?
I'm definitely going to be following this thread. I was looking at that MH today, as I'm semi in the market for a new t-rig stick. I was also looking at the NRX 853, as the Steez compile X left me a little unsatisfied with its sensitivity.

Happy you created this thread. 8-)

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:19 pm

I had the 7 ' hvy and really enjoyed that rod a lot. very well balanced feel to it. In my hands i felt like the nrx rods ive owned and current z bone rods are more sensitive but the steez is def no slouch at all. Loved mine for jigs. honestly the only real complaint or i guess i shouldnt say complaint more like life happens situation was the first guide closest to the reel seat cracked. Honestly it didnt not fault any performance it was more of ocd i guess knowing it was there. I dont know if i stepped on it which im pretty good about not doing or i dinged it during transport. nevertheless really is a awesome rod.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:40 am

i've had the harrier (comp x) and the steez xt in 7'1 h, although not at the same time. the newer xt balances better to me with same weight reel than the comp x did. i realize you're asking about the ags rods, but the trend to me is the newer rods have improved over the older steez. i never had a problem with sensitivity from any of the steez line i've had.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:24 pm

the 71 compile x is a sick rod, the action, power and balance are legit, sensitivity a tad below elite.. I thought my FMJ was more sensitive but a half click heavier than I thought was ideal. I'm hoping the the AGS has an extra notch of sensitivity and similar power to the comp x.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm also pretty interested in this thread. Anyone with the steez ags baitcast rods, please share your input?? I have the STZ761MMLFS AGS for 2 years to drop dropshot 1/2 - 3/4oz, and honestly really impressed how sensitive it is (over previous extreme hp).

In general, i prefer medium fast/jdm taper baitcast rods for t-rig plastics and jigs. Has anyone here used the regular action STZ721MHRB-AGS for lures that are NOT moving baits? Would it work ok for light plastics or jigs?

And any feedback fishing the STZ711MHXB or STZ711HFB? I can't feel these rods in hand before purchasing, not sure if the MH Xfast will arrive n be broomstick stiff. Buying new and not being suitable, to then sell for less, sucks.... lol. Never been a big Xfast fan over the years. And 3 out 4 rods, i run 14-20LB fluorocarbon line.

Which of the 3 would u guys recommend for 3/8 belly weighted hooks w/ 4.8" keitech fat? Or 1/2oz or less T-rigs, and 1/2oz or less jigs plus trailer. I'm hoping the AGS rods have some love on this amazing forum. Thanks you all in advance.

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:34 am

I have the 7MH. Lightest rod in my arsenal besides my Super Eiger.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishNrace » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:09 pm

Mang wrote:I have the 7MH. Lightest rod in my arsenal besides my Super Eiger.
What are your go to lures/weight with the STZ711MHXB-ags? And with braid or fluro?

Mang
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mang » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:29 pm

Pretty much my weightless combo with light t-rigs up to only 1/4oz. I dont go any heavier. I'm sure it will handle up to 3/8 fine. The rod is a bit softer compared to your regular ex fast we have for the nrx or croix rods.

Edit: also using 12lbs shooter and will normally max out on the rod line rating. Depending on where I will be fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:25 pm

FishNrace wrote:I'm also pretty interested in this thread. Anyone with the steez ags baitcast rods, please share your input?? I have the STZ761MMLFS AGS for 2 years to drop dropshot 1/2 - 3/4oz, and honestly really impressed how sensitive it is (over previous extreme hp).

In general, i prefer medium fast/jdm taper baitcast rods for t-rig plastics and jigs. Has anyone here used the regular action STZ721MHRB-AGS for lures that are NOT moving baits? Would it work ok for light plastics or jigs?

And any feedback fishing the STZ711MHXB or STZ711HFB? I can't feel these rods in hand before purchasing, not sure if the MH Xfast will arrive n be broomstick stiff. Buying new and not being suitable, to then sell for less, sucks.... lol. Never been a big Xfast fan over the years. And 3 out 4 rods, i run 14-20LB fluorocarbon line.

Which of the 3 would u guys recommend for 3/8 belly weighted hooks w/ 4.8" keitech fat? Or 1/2oz or less T-rigs, and 1/2oz or less jigs plus trailer. I'm hoping the AGS rods have some love on this amazing forum. Thanks you all in advance.
If the blank on the 711MHXB is anything like the same model Tatula, I can tell you it's definitely not a broomstick. That rod has a really nice extra fast tip and a good stiff backbone. It's a crisp rod that's great for Texas rigs and jigs up to 1/2oz. It's also very light and balanced at 3.8oz. I can only imagine how much nicer it would be with AGS.
This is the way.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishNrace » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:36 pm

Mang wrote:Pretty much my weightless combo with light t-rigs up to only 1/4oz. I dont go any heavier. I'm sure it will handle up to 3/8 fine. The rod is a bit softer compared to your regular ex fast we have for the nrx or croix rods.

Edit: also using 12lbs shooter and will normally max out on the rod line rating. Depending on where I will be fishing
Thanks for your feeback, much appreciated. Glad to know the Mh-Xfast's tip is not that stiff. Will probably go with the H-Fast as i fish +3/8oz, more than lighter lures. Cheers.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:39 pm

FishNrace wrote:
Mang wrote:Pretty much my weightless combo with light t-rigs up to only 1/4oz. I dont go any heavier. I'm sure it will handle up to 3/8 fine. The rod is a bit softer compared to your regular ex fast we have for the nrx or croix rods.

Thanks for your feeback, much appreciated. Glad to know the Mh-Xfast's tip is not that stiff. Will probably go with the H-Fast as i fish +3/8oz, more than lighter lures. Cheers.
That one probably will be a broomstick.
This is the way.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Revofisher wrote:I had the 7 ' hvy and really enjoyed that rod a lot. very well balanced feel to it. In my hands i felt like the nrx rods ive owned and current z bone rods are more sensitive but the steez is def no slouch at all. Loved mine for jigs. honestly the only real complaint or i guess i shouldnt say complaint more like life happens situation was the first guide closest to the reel seat cracked. Honestly it didnt not fault any performance it was more of ocd i guess knowing it was there. I dont know if i stepped on it which im pretty good about not doing or i dinged it during transport. nevertheless really is a awesome rod.
The heavy is the one I am more interested in. What weight jigs did you throw? I had a chance to pick the rod up in person it didn't give me the impression that it was a broomstick, though I was afraid to test the taper in the store. I'm also considering the new 7MH zbone but am worried it might be too light/soft for my liking.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Revofisher » Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:45 pm

On the Steez I used 3,8 plus trailer - 1/2 oz with trailer on my z bone 7’6 med hvy 2019 model I feel 1/2 is its sweet spot I’ve really not thrown much heavier than that so I can’t say how it would handle it

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:48 pm

Revofisher wrote:I had the 7 ' hvy and really enjoyed that rod a lot. very well balanced feel to it. In my hands i felt like the nrx rods ive owned and current z bone rods are more sensitive but the steez is def no slouch at all. Loved mine for jigs. honestly the only real complaint or i guess i shouldnt say complaint more like life happens situation was the first guide closest to the reel seat cracked. Honestly it didnt not fault any performance it was more of ocd i guess knowing it was there. I dont know if i stepped on it which im pretty good about not doing or i dinged it during transport. nevertheless really is a awesome rod.
Would you say the sensitivity of the AGS casting, in your hands, is in that elite/first round draft pick/slam dunk class like the Legend Elite, NRX, and Z Bone?