Steez AGS casting rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Steez AGS casting rods

Post by Revofisher » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:59 pm

Yes I would say that it doesn’t lack in the sensitivity department and hangs in there with the Rods you mentioned I know sensitivity is subjective. Out of my current rods tgat I own being many of the mentioned rods I feel the new z bone is the most sensitive in my hands followed by nrx /Steez , then legend elites, I have the most of the legend elites which are my favorite I guess I like the grandpa rod looks
Last edited by Revofisher on Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 pm

I've been a Steez rod skeptic for years after having tried the Compile X and other models, no matter how much I wanted to love them. While the look, build quality, and overall durability were excellent, the sensitivity was lacking for rods in their price point. The new AGS Steez rod line up has made a significant leap forward in terms of sensitivity. I've fished quite a few of them now and whatever it is they've changed, whether or not those AGS guides make that much difference or not, I feel a huge improvement in sensitivity. Their bottom contact rods now are back on the same playing field with some of the big names out there.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:25 am

For now I own
7’1” MH
7’2”MH
7’4”XH
7’6”H
For bottom contact, 7’4 is my favorite. The 7’2 is an phenomenal single hook moving bait rod. It is the best rod in the line up imo.
Looking to get another bottom contact but can’t decide if I want another 7’1mh or 7’4xh. Perhaps the 7’1h.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:28 pm

Thanks for the responses guys. 8-)

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:41 pm

JigginOG wrote:For now I own
7’1” MH
7’2”MH
7’4”XH
7’6”H
For bottom contact, 7’4 is my favorite. The 7’2 is an phenomenal single hook moving bait rod. It is the best rod in the line up imo.
Looking to get another bottom contact but can’t decide if I want another 7’1mh or 7’4xh. Perhaps the 7’1h.
Do you think the 7.2 MH Regular action would excel for weighted/unweighted senkos/ikas? Or for poppers/jerkbaits?

Thank you ALL for the great input on your experiences with this Steez AGS line. Glad this thread finally got some traction \:D/ . I just pulled the trigger on the STZ711MHXB to arrive next week, and plan to add at least 1 more.

JigginOG
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by JigginOG » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:25 am

FishNrace wrote:
7’1” MH
7’2”MH
7’4”XH
7’6”H
Do you think the 7.2 MH Regular action would excel for weighted/unweighted senkos/ikas? Or for poppers/jerkbaits?

Thank you ALL for the great input on your experiences with this Steez AGS line. Glad this thread finally got some traction \:D/ . I just pulled the trigger on the STZ711MHXB to arrive next week, and plan to add at least 1 more.
The 7’2mh isn’t quite your traditional regular tapered cranking rod. It’s a stiffer rod for excellent hook sets with heavy gauged hooks, but transitions nicely to that regular taper under load. I have the OG 7’2”mh flex lite and they’re two different rods.
I don’t think it would excel as a senko since it’s not it’s intended use. I’ve not tried it so I can be wrong. Although it’s light, balances very well, and sensitive I can see it working well if that’s what you’re looking for in a rod for those purposes.
I’d find it too long for jerks and poppers, but the action would be there though.

FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Post by FishNrace » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:07 pm

JigginOG wrote:
FishNrace wrote:
7’1” MH
7’2”MH
7’4”XH
7’6”H

The 7’2mh isn’t quite your traditional regular tapered cranking rod. It’s a stiffer rod for excellent hook sets with heavy gauged hooks, but transitions nicely to that regular taper under load. I have the OG 7’2”mh flex lite and they’re two different rods.
I don’t think it would excel as a senko since it’s not it’s intended use. I’ve not tried it so I can be wrong. Although it’s light, balances very well, and sensitive I can see it working well if that’s what you’re looking for in a rod for those purposes.
I’d find it too long for jerks and poppers, but the action would be there though.
Lots of good information, thanks for your time JigginOG.

jlb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jlb » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:09 pm

I have a 7’1” mh x fast and it is right up with the nrx to me in sensitivity. They are perfectly built unlike most nrx but I will be selling mine because I cannot get used to the reelseat as all my other rods reelseats are a bit more bulky which I like.

bassinbrian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassinbrian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:07 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Revofisher wrote:I had the 7 ' hvy and really enjoyed that rod a lot. very well balanced feel to it. In my hands i felt like the nrx rods ive owned and current z bone rods are more sensitive but the steez is def no slouch at all. Loved mine for jigs. honestly the only real complaint or i guess i shouldnt say complaint more like life happens situation was the first guide closest to the reel seat cracked. Honestly it didnt not fault any performance it was more of ocd i guess knowing it was there. I dont know if i stepped on it which im pretty good about not doing or i dinged it during transport. nevertheless really is a awesome rod.
Would you say the sensitivity of the AGS casting, in your hands, is in that elite/first round draft pick/slam dunk class like the Legend Elite, NRX, and Z Bone?
Most definitely! I've never Fished a Zbone, so I cant answer that :)

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:14 am

bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
Revofisher wrote:I had the 7 ' hvy and really enjoyed that rod a lot. very well balanced feel to it. In my hands i felt like the nrx rods ive owned and current z bone rods are more sensitive but the steez is def no slouch at all. Loved mine for jigs. honestly the only real complaint or i guess i shouldnt say complaint more like life happens situation was the first guide closest to the reel seat cracked. Honestly it didnt not fault any performance it was more of ocd i guess knowing it was there. I dont know if i stepped on it which im pretty good about not doing or i dinged it during transport. nevertheless really is a awesome rod.
Would you say the sensitivity of the AGS casting, in your hands, is in that elite/first round draft pick/slam dunk class like the Legend Elite, NRX, and Z Bone?

That's outstanding to hear! 8-)

Have you fished any of the x-fast Steez AGS casting sticks? I'm curious about your personal take on how fast they really are.

bassinbrian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassinbrian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:20 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

Have you fished any of the x-fast Steez AGS casting sticks? I'm curious about your personal take on how fast they really are.
I have the 7'1 XF (STZ711MHXB). Since its winter here I havent fished it since the beginning of October but as I recall it's more on Par with the Elite then the NRX. I might not have the experience with as wide of variety of rods like most on here but to me these rods have to the nicest rod I have ever fished with. I've always been a huge fan of the steez lineup of rods, the grip has always been my favorite of any rod. The NRX was a bit more sensitive then the older steez rods but my personal opinion that's not the case anymore. Hope that helps a little bit :)

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:40 pm

Possibly bad news for my "bean stash" ? :lol: I've seen them here locally and handled them quite a bit in the last year or so. They still doesn't impress me nearly as much as a Megabass rod as I would have tried one by now....although one still has to try other things though right :-k :lol: they are still very tempting as I like the actions for sure and they definitely sound like a winner since they've been introduced some time ago 8-)

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:07 pm

bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

I have the 7'1 XF (STZ711MHXB). Since its winter here I havent fished it since the beginning of October but as I recall it's more on Par with the Elite then the NRX. I might not have the experience with as wide of variety of rods like most on here but to me these rods have to the nicest rod I have ever fished with. I've always been a huge fan of the steez lineup of rods, the grip has always been my favorite of any rod. The NRX was a bit more sensitive then the older steez rods but my personal opinion that's not the case anymore. Hope that helps a little bit :)

On par with the LE as far as how fast the rod is? Thanks again for your input.

bassinbrian
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bassinbrian » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:16 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:

Correct

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:36 pm

bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
bassinbrian wrote:
Gone Phishin wrote:
bassinbrian wrote:

Correct
Beautiful. Thank you my friend. 8-)