Looking for a MH Spinning Rod w/ Moderate Action...

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Looking for a MH Spinning Rod w/ Moderate Action...

Post by Reverendo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:56 am

Moderate to parabolic action to throw treble hooked hard baits.
What do you suggest that is strong and won't break the bank?

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for a MH Spinning Rod w/ Moderate Action...

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:19 am

You'll be hard pressed to find this in a factory rod. My recommendation would be to get a custom rod built with a St Croix blank.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:55 am

HobeyBaker wrote:You'll be hard pressed to find this in a factory rod. My recommendation would be to get a custom rod built with a St Croix blank.
Agreed, most factory spinning rods are in the generic spinning rod power/actions

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:16 pm

Reverendo wrote:Moderate to parabolic action to throw treble hooked hard baits.

Phenix makes a couple of models

https://www.phenixrods.com/products/fre ... crankbait/

$199

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:47 pm

If you have never ordered a custom rod, I’d highly recommend calling Thorne Brothers in Blaine, Mn and ask to talk to Lonnie. He builds rods for a living instead of a hobby and knows his stuff. He’s also a big time fisherman so if you tell him what you’ll be using it for, he’ll know exactly what blank to use.

smallies
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by smallies » Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:24 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:If you have never ordered a custom rod, I’d highly recommend calling Thorne Brothers in Blaine, Mn and ask to talk to Lonnie. He builds rods for a living instead of a hobby and knows his stuff. He’s also a big time fisherman so if you tell him what you’ll be using it for, he’ll know exactly what blank to use.
Does he build and sell customs? Or just advice

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:05 pm

St. Croix makes a couple. Both show up as walleye rods, 7ft MH moderate action. One is a Eyecon at $120 the other is a Legend Tournament at $260. I am sure there or other rods to meet your needs these are just a couple of suggestions.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:06 pm

St. Croix makes a couple. Both show up as walleye rods, 7ft MH moderate action. One is a Eyecon at $120 the other is a Legend Tournament at $260. I am sure there or other rods to meet your needs these are just a couple of suggestions.

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:34 pm

smallies wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:If you have never ordered a custom rod, I’d highly recommend calling Thorne Brothers in Blaine, Mn and ask to talk to Lonnie. He builds rods for a living instead of a hobby and knows his stuff. He’s also a big time fisherman so if you tell him what you’ll be using it for, he’ll know exactly what blank to use.
Does he build and sell customs? Or just advice
He builds and sells customs, but I’m sure if you give the shop a call he will tell what blank he would use. They are a top notch outfit. I have a couple of of their Predator series musky Ross which are built off a blank that St Croix makes them.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 pm

i have a couple of the older (pre-2011) st croix legend tournament walleye series MH/Mod rods and they are awesome, they work great for square bills (i usually throw 1.5's on them), and most medium depth cranks, not sure how well they would do with something like a dt16, as i never throw them.

i also have the current model in the medium/mod, and its great for small stuff, shad raps, flicker shads, small square bills etc. i dont see a MH model in the eyecon, but the medium is rated to 5/8 oz.

i always wanted to try the phenix spinning crank rods, but loved my older st croixs and they reintroduced them last year so i probably wont get to the phenix.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:55 pm

wouldn't any MH graphite crankbait rod fit this bill?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:13 pm

Hulkster wrote:wouldn't any MH graphite crankbait rod fit this bill?
Yeah, but most spinning rods are fast-extra fast. I was actually going to suggest a glass rod like the Browing Silaflex at BPS, but I'm not sure they have a MH powered one. I have a 6'6" medium version and it's great for small cranks and a 7' MH casting that's very capable for squarebills, shallow-mid cranks, traps, etc. I caught one of my best ever bass on it using a Zara Spook. It set those big 1/0 hooks, kept it pinned when it dolphined out of the water, and didn't break a sweat. It's on catfish duty for me now, but they're not bad at all. They changed them up now, though, and with BPS that's not usually for the better, so I don't know anymore. They used to have Fuji Al oxide guides and surprisingly good quality full cork handles all for $50. They're $40 now, so I'm sure they're inferior and that's why I didn't bother mentioning them. Might actually be worth a look, though.
This is the way.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:04 pm

Denali makes one in the lithium line, 7’4” MH Mod-Fast. Pretty good balance And more on the moderate side I think than fast. Otherwise Phenix Rods are usually more on the moderate side even though they say fast, and some of the St Croix walleye Rods as stated before.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:08 pm

Generally less expensive rods are more moderate just because of the cheaper graphite, but obviously they don't cast as well, or have any backbone or sensitivity, which, while I disagree, a lot of people say isn't important for cranking anyway, so going the budget route wouldn't be the worst idea.
This is the way.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:06 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Reverendo wrote:Moderate to parabolic action to throw treble hooked hard baits.

Phenix makes a couple of models

https://www.phenixrods.com/products/fre ... crankbait/

$199

Those Phenix models are nice. I have 3 of their rods: 2 Ultra MBX's and a SW stick. I love those MBX's, and will seriously consider their crank bait model. Thanks.