Fake G Loomis Conquest?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DrPerf
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Fake G Loomis Conquest?

Post by DrPerf » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:49 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote: My conquest has the best cork I have seen, even better then St Croix.
x2

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:32 pm

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:That cork looks horrible.

My conquest has the best cork I have seen, even better then St Croix.
I think my Cherrywood HD has better cork than that fake conquest. :lol:

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:42 pm

Mike son wrote:Well... this is unfortunate. Just came across a "New" Conquest for sale far under msrp.
How much did they get you for, and what was the source?

Carylab
Angler
Angler

Post by Carylab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:22 pm

There’s been a ton of fake Loomis rods being posted lately. Seems like all of a sudden it’s blown up in the last month or so. A bunch of guys got scammed on another site when new NRX’s were posted for $200. Be smart people!

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:27 pm

Mike son wrote:I didnt purchase the rod, just saw it for sale online so I cant comment on anything other than what we see in the pics. Do you guys really think I'd wear socks and sandals?!?! :lol: I just thought it was unfortunate that there are now fake loomis rods in circulation.
Hey... :talk hand: I wear socks and sandals. Not white socks...gross.

Dont let this guy give all other socks/sandals people a bad rap. I sold Mike son a nice GLX at a nice deal...100% legit rod too.

Anyway. The rod is fake. Would be fun to have a Chris Hanson like intervention like To Catch A Predator with the seller and tell him its fake.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:00 pm

Carylab wrote:There’s been a ton of fake Loomis rods being posted lately. Seems like all of a sudden it’s blown up in the last month or so. A bunch of guys got scammed on another site when new NRX’s were posted for $200. Be smart people!
I saw, locked, and ultimately deleted that thread over there. Folks thinking they can buy a real, new, non-stolen NRX for $200 shipped are delusional as dealer cost is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that even without shipping and processing costs. As I stated there, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Unfortunately that guy was somehow associated with a "real" tackle shop in some way and was able to dupe a lot of folks. Apparently, he refunded a bunch of guys once his thread was locked and he was called out. I don't know if everyone ultimately received a refund or not, the fallout hasn't yet settled... ](*,)
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:02 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Carylab wrote:There’s been a ton of fake Loomis rods being posted lately. Seems like all of a sudden it’s blown up in the last month or so. A bunch of guys got scammed on another site when new NRX’s were posted for $200. Be smart people!
I saw, locked, and ultimately deleted that thread over there. Folks thinking they can buy a real, new, non-stolen NRX for $200 shipped are delusional as dealer cost is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than that even without shipping and processing costs. As I stated there, if it's too good to be true, it usually is. Unfortunately that guy was somehow associated with a "real" tackle shop in some way and was able to dupe a lot of folks. Apparently, he refunded a bunch of guys once his thread was locked and he was called out. I don't know if everyone ultimately received a refund or not, the fallout hasn't yet settled... ](*,)
I was refunded.

Mike son
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike son » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Ajaxin wrote:Found that rod being sold on offerup.com. Quick google image search.

Yep that's where I saw it. I'm not even in California and it was a suggested item at the bottom of one of my searches.
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Mike son wrote:Well... this is unfortunate. Just came across a "New" Conquest for sale far under msrp.
How much did they get you for, and what was the source?
I didnt buy it. Saw it on offerup, they were asking $400 iirc.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mike son wrote:I didnt purchase the rod, just saw it for sale online so I cant comment on anything other than what we see in the pics. Do you guys really think I'd wear socks and sandals?!?! :lol: I just thought it was unfortunate that there are now fake loomis rods in circulation.
Hey... :talk hand: I wear socks and sandals. Not white socks...gross.

Dont let this guy give all other socks/sandals people a bad rap. I sold Mike son a nice GLX at a nice deal...100% legit rod too.

Anyway. The rod is fake. Would be fun to have a Chris Hanson like intervention like To Catch A Predator with the seller and tell him its fake.
Haha its all in good fun my dude. Would be interesting to set up some sting like that. The seller is in Cali, I do think we could both use a trip to somewhere warmer than the midwest :lol:

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:05 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
I was refunded.
Fantastic, I know quite a few guys who were ultimately refunded. Glad to hear that... we try hard!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:17 pm

bronzefly wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
I was refunded.
Fantastic, I know quite a few guys who were ultimately refunded. Glad to hear that... we try hard!
It seemed legit as he said he had a guide business and sent an invoice from a tackle shop. The invoice from the tackle shop was misspelled though.

Carylab
Angler
Angler

Post by Carylab » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Glad you guys got y’all money back. Can’t stand a thief or scammer!

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:16 pm

HobeyBaker wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
I was refunded.
It seemed legit as he said he had a guide business and sent an invoice from a tackle shop. The invoice from the tackle shop was misspelled though.
I was the one screaming for you guys to be carful and contacted one of the mods immediately. Very glad you got your money back

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Heddonfrog wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
bronzefly wrote:
HobeyBaker wrote:
I was refunded.
I was the one screaming for you guys to be carful and contacted one of the mods immediately. Very glad you got your money back
How much risk is there with PayPal? I'm pretty sure you are guaranteed to get your money back as long as it wasn't paid friends and family.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:27 pm

Houndfish wrote:How much was it being sold for? I assume even with bottom-barrel components and a cheap way to print the factory sticker, a knockoff would still have a good bit of money/time invested in it, so I wonder how profitable it would really be?
^This.

This is a wildly dumb scam. Building a single knock off like the one in the pics stil takes significant time. Source and/or make the necessary components like the stupid loomis handle sticker; set the guides strait; mount the blank in the handle—this all takes time (I’d still like to see the handle they were using). Then try to advertise it hoping you’re not spotted. Then sell it and ship it with that paper trail. Then consider that this (these) dolts went to the trouble of knocking off the sticker that goes on the handle, but could not correctly copy the rod ratings. It’s all so f’n stupid that it seems like some teenage boys with some experience with rod building came up with this ‘full proof’ plan. I would hope there could be more consequences for those involved than just forcing them to refund money. A buddy of mine who works for a popular tackle co. told me a story of how they found online some dude selling their rods “new” for way under msrp. Just so happens the scammer lived in the same state. They drove to his place where the rods were advertised for pick up. Turns out he was lifting prototypes or builds that didn’t make spec (forget which) out of a dumpster near their HQ and then trying to sell. I’m pretty sure they took some legal action.

wirinhar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by wirinhar » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:13 am

Great Info and thanks for sharing.

Anyway I always like to browse from Taopao Online and I am in Malaysia and I bought my conquest from Gary (Tackle Trap) and I am a happy man :) \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Cheers,
WW