Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by ShimanoFan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:28 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:19 am
Shimano Fan, Don't let the Russians scare you away from NFC, Gary has been involved with this guy for years,
What concerns me is this...

When Gary Loomis is an owner or part owner of said company, then he brings his patents and protected technology into it. But like with Shimano-G.Loomis, they bought what the company had at the time, and when Gary left finally he took his advancing technology with him into North Fork.

And now, with Gary no longer being an owner, what does this mean for his patents and protected rod technology?

According to what I have already read, the new Russian-only company bought what North Fork and Edge was producing at the time, but will Gary continue to bring his knowledge and talent and protected technology into SOMEONE else's company is the question???

How far would Gary or any of us go with a company solely owned by someone else? We can all see how that worked out with Shimano-G.Loomis.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 am

So now I am left wondering if what happened to G.Loomis has now happened to North Fork and Edge Rods... Shame really.
what do you mean by this? from what I have seen with interviews from Gary, the main reason he sold G. Loomis to Shimano back in 1997 was that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and given a short time to live.

Luckily of course, they were wrong and Gary survived and kicked the cancer's sorry ass.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:01 am

Hulkster wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:19 am
So now I am left wondering if what happened to G.Loomis has now happened to North Fork and Edge Rods... Shame really.
what do you mean by this? from what I have seen with interviews from Gary, the main reason he sold G. Loomis to Shimano back in 1997 was that he was diagnosed with prostate cancer and given a short time to live.

Luckily of course, they were wrong and Gary survived and kicked the cancer's sorry ass.
Has NOTHING to do with why he sold the company.

It was just a statement of wondering what is next for Gary Loomis is all it was- now that North Fork and Edge no longer exist on their own as real companies. I was wondering if what happened to Shimano-G.Loomis will now happen to the Russian owned company...
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 pm

Im officially putting the Helium 3 in as overrated. Not as light as people make it out to be. Balance is not that good. The rod I have the first guide is not aligned correctly thats noticeable. There are 2 other guides that if being nitpicky could be better aligned. Glad I didnt pay full price and if they were local the rod would be returned.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:03 pm
Im officially putting the Helium 3 in as overrated. Not as light as people make it out to be. Balance is not that good. The rod I have the first guide is not aligned correctly thats noticeable. There are 2 other guides that if being nitpicky could be better aligned. Glad I didnt pay full price and if they were local the rod would be returned.
:shock:
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:33 am

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
It also looks like a $100 rod and that is being generous. I mean crack open a can of paint. Throw some winding checks and carbon at it.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:48 pm

people here feel that the dobyns extreme hp is overrated as well? hp can't compare to glx in sensitivity?

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm

i do not own a Dobyns but do not feel that a comparison between an Extreme HP and a GLX is a fair comparison. If you want to compair Dobyns to Loomis it should be between the Extreme HP and the IMX Pro as they are near the same price. I don't have a dog in this fight but think that is a more fair comparison.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:14 pm

timinmo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:43 pm
i do not own a Dobyns but do not feel that a comparison between an Extreme HP and a GLX is a fair comparison. If you want to compair Dobyns to Loomis it should be between the Extreme HP and the IMX Pro as they are near the same price. I don't have a dog in this fight but think that is a more fair comparison.
I agree regarding the price similarities for comparison purposes, but the IMX Pro still beats the Extreme in sensitivity, no question about that.....and I'm not a fan of Loomis rods myself.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:23 pm

no i get the price difference but threw the glx out there since it's a benchmark and i've fished it before. never handled imx so no clue

i used to own the dx extreme due to the hype and was left extremely disappointed. thinking maybe they've made dramatic improvements to the hp

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:32 pm

Chode wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:23 pm
no i get the price difference but threw the glx out there since it's a benchmark and i've fished it before. never handled imx so no clue
The GLX is noticeably more sensitive than the Extreme. Ironically enough, the 1st gen Extreme is/was the most sensitive of the 3 generations of that series, in my hands anyway. I'm talking about the one that looked like the OG Powell rods.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:32 pm
Chode wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:23 pm
Ironically enough, the 1st gen Extreme is/was the most sensitive of the 3 generations of that series, in my hands anyway. I'm talking about the one that looked like the OG Powell rods.
:shock: :shock:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:30 pm

Any 2020 nominees ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 11:40 pm

QUAKEnSHAKE wrote:
The things you mention are build style and build quality issues. That being said, I always thought that the NFC IM and HM weren't that great. X Ray is a different story.

kstephes033
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by kstephes033 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm

I might get some hate for this but I cannot stand the NRX and the ZBones. I will give it to them that both are very sensitive, but both are horribly balanced and I just cant fish with them. I also refuse to put something on a $500+ rod to help balance it out, makes no sense to me. I personally will take a better balanced rod over "the most sensitive rod ever made" any day of the week because really to me once you get above around the $200 price point now a days there are rods that are more than sensitive enough. I will say I prefer rods that are 7'3" and longer for casting gear which I know plays into the balance a good bit but still, $500+ and I feel like my wrist is going to break (a little exaggeration) because of the balance... makes no sense to me.