Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:00 pm

kstephes033 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:53 pm
I might get some hate for this but I cannot stand the NRX and the ZBones. I will give it to them that both are very sensitive, but both are horribly balanced and I just cant fish with them. I also refuse to put something on a $500+ rod to help balance it out, makes no sense to me. I personally will take a better balanced rod over "the most sensitive rod ever made" any day of the week because really to me once you get above around the $200 price point now a days there are rods that are more than sensitive enough. I will say I prefer rods that are 7'3" and longer for casting gear which I know plays into the balance a good bit but still, $500+ and I feel like my wrist is going to break (a little exaggeration) because of the balance... makes no sense to me.
Balance plays a HUGE role in perceived sensitivity. That's why my custom rods have counterbalance butts. Adding weight seems counter-intuitive, but the rod actually does feel lighter, because you aren't fighting the torque from the tip trying to go downward. Because the tip is up already, bites are detected more easily. Don't believe me, tape a few quarters to a rod's butt and go fish it. I would be willing to bet the farm that the same rod you've been fishing will instantly seem more sensitive, and lighter, too.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:24 pm

I understand this site has a bunch cork sniffing dudes jerking off about gear all day, but this thread takes the cake.
So much of the gear you guys are calling complete garbage is great equipment. Some pieces may have an issue here or there, or might not fit your hand as you would like, but seriously people chill out. Most of the stuff from G loomis, Daiwa, Dobyns, Shimano, mega Bass, or whoever is good stuff, if it's not for you so be it. Go fishing and have some fun.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:36 pm

montey wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:24 pm
I understand this site has a bunch cork sniffing dudes jerking off about gear all day, but this thread takes the cake.
So much of the gear you guys are calling complete garbage is great equipment. Some pieces may have an issue here or there, or might not fit your hand as you would like, but seriously people chill out. Most of the stuff from G loomis, Daiwa, Dobyns, Shimano, mega Bass, or whoever is good stuff, if it's not for you so be it. Go fishing and have some fun.
Wow...just, wow. You REALLY dont get the TT culture. Half the fun is micro-analyzing every single piece of equipment.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:37 pm

montey wrote:
So much of the gear you guys are calling complete garbage is great equipment. Some pieces may have an issue here or there, or might not fit your hand as you would like, but seriously people chill out. Most of the stuff from G loomis, Daiwa, Dobyns, Shimano, mega Bass, or whoever is good stuff, if it's not for you so be it.
Well it’s not that simple.
Sometimes you don’t find out until you buy it and than you are stuck with trying to resale it. Additionally what I’ve found on THIS site is the insight on other alternatives for example instead of buying an expensive subpar super popular rod, I learned that I could have one built to my specifications or tap into the JDM market. Once I found out that I wasn’t just limited to a mass produced USDM rod my eyes were open.
And it’s not about some minor flaws it’s all measured against Price.
As someone else has mentioned I’d rather pay for a $250-390 rod over a $500 and up rod that I need figure out howto balance. That’s what I’m paying the manufacturer for. It would be more beneficial for me the consumer to have one built. I remember when webie reel seats were the seats of choice
I tired one and it was more comfortable than some current mass produced rod.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:59 pm

Don't know if they're overrated, but the ones that left me the most disappointed based on performance for the money, were St Croix Avid, Loomis IMX Pro and E6X, Dobyns Champion and Champion Extreme, Shimano Curado. All good rods, but offered very little considering the price tags.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:36 pm
montey wrote:
Wow...just, wow. You REALLY dont get the TT culture. Half the fun is micro-analyzing every single piece of equipment.
I get it, but some of this thread people are just trash talking, and acting as if this gear is total garbage, not just over rated. I appreciate analyzing and geeking out, but not bashing so much. My 2 cents.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:13 pm

montey wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:00 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
montey wrote:
I get it, but some of this thread people are just trash talking, and acting as if this gear is total garbage, not just over rated. I appreciate analyzing and geeking out, but not bashing so much. My 2 cents.

maybe expectations should be set at certain price points for rods? I think that would be hard to do because there’s no standard that I know of for power and action of rods? Plus so much in terms of sensitivity is perception based Maybe I’m mistaken but it really makes me think.
Like for reels at the upper echelon of a brand, it’s expected that certain reels of that level despite the brand should perform in such away that it’s distinguishable from lower level reels no matter how marginal and even if it’s just the durability of a reel?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:23 pm

montey wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
montey wrote:
I highly doubt anyone here is calling anything garbage specifically, just that items are overrated(which is in the title of the thread, by the way). I think that hyperbole is at play here, not bashing. Exaggeration to prove a point is something that's commonly used in American language. Matter of fact, I'm sure that you used it above with the "jerking off" comment.

montey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by montey » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:00 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:23 pm
montey wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
montey wrote:
I highly doubt anyone here is calling anything garbage specifically, just that items are overrated(which is in the title of the thread, by the way). I think that hyperbole is at play here, not bashing. Exaggeration to prove a point is something that's commonly used in American language. Matter of fact, I'm sure that you used it above with the "jerking off" comment.
I apologize the gear was referenced as junk, not garbage. Sorry. I'll step aside and let the thread continue.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:23 pm

montey wrote:
LOL. If I have a choice between two rods/reels of equal value, and one out performs the other, why would I spend hard earned money on a lesser product? And yes, believe it or not, there are products that exist, that are indeed over rated. It's pretty common actually. I also don't appreciate your lack of tact, stating that some members are sniffing cork, and jerking off to it all day. I mean wtf 🙄. If this isn't the appropriate forum for you, buh bye then. This forum is actually great for people looking for advice and real time experience, from an enthusiast level or otherwise. Ya know, so they don't regret their purchase of over rated or over hyped gear. If you want to waste your cash on DOA Dobyns crap, go right ahead. Nobody needs to chill out.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:42 am

Montey and his thinking :-k

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:30 am

After looking at montey's post today I looked back over the posts today and remembered when I purchased my first NRX's. probability one of the best and worst high end rod ever. Pages of posts. I bought quit a few of them and I was happy with each one. I checked out each one for pour built and all looked good and held up well. Balance wasn't so hot on the longer rods, but the sensitive was great. I only have one of the original NRX left how. Most of what I read was true to some extend. The point is I knew what I was getting thanks to TT. Opinions are great, name calling not so much.

Thunderblack1984
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Thunderblack1984 » Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:55 am

I sniff EVA not cork
Philippians 4:6

tywithay
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by tywithay » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:15 pm

Not saying I would or wouldn't jerk off to a rod, but I've yet to see one that attractive. To each their own though. This is a judgement free zone.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Thunderblack1984 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:55 am
I sniff EVA not cork
Ditto.