Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by rando » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:11 pm

I do not own any dobyns, but it would take a lot to convince me to buy one after reading all this.
However it would also take a lot to convince me to buy a new legend xtreme. Got to play with mh xfast model and it did not feel special at all. At $630+ I'll pass.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:24 am

Hennessy wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:42 pm
Ended up selling them to a buddy, he fished them maybe 2 weeks before he sold them.
r yall still friends? :lol:

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am

I’m not a fan of Dobyns in general although I own a few, but they aren’t used for bottom contact. Seems people used to love the CB models on here, as well as the models I own, frog rods. Never really heard many talking them up for moving baits other than cranks. Do you guys just dislike them for bottom contact, or have you found better crank and frog rods these days? That 735 still works great when I need it, and my XBD isn’t that much better for the price.

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Drakestar » Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:34 am

Never owned a Champion Extreme rod, I'll take people by their word that the HP rods are indeed overrated. The only Dobyns I have in that area are DX806 and 807 swimbait rods, which perform well in my mind for what they are (broomsticks).

I do have an Xtasy, which I don't feel is overrated; it hangs with the other high-end rods I own. Maybe not quite as sensitive as the Xrays, NRXs and K2 blanks of the world, but "very, very sensitive" and very fun to fish because of how balanced they are.
Last edited by Drakestar on Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Wed Jul 29, 2020 10:04 am

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:32 am
I’m not a fan of Dobyns in general although I own a few, but they aren’t used for bottom contact. Seems people used to love the CB models on here, as well as the models I own, frog rods. Never really heard many talking them up for moving baits other than cranks. Do you guys just dislike them for bottom contact, or have you found better crank and frog rods these days? That 735 still works great when I need it, and my XBD isn’t that much better for the price.
it's because of the hype. they weren't horrible rods but when price and hype don't meet expectations (especially when compared to benchmark rods like GLX), this is pretty much the end result. the only thing they had going for them was balance but when other companies caught on and started making rods just as balanced but with better sensitivity and price, people jumped ship

hungry_cow
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hungry_cow » Sun Dec 24, 2023 12:30 am

I am going to go another direction and say high end catfish rods. Just because even lower end bass deep cranking or swimbait rods are so much better but catfishermen don't think to try them.

Also just because a company in general may have some issues don't be afraid to try their standout models. Everything in my rod lineup is $500 plus with the exception of a Dobyns Champion 795. I kind of feel bad using it with a Megabass LIN 10 but for an all around swimbait rod for me it just gets everything spot on right and for me casts and feels better than any similar high end enthusiast rod.

I would also disagree with Megabass being over rated in their destroyer lines anyway. You may be able to find other rods lighter for the price point or something a little more sensitive but they are more than just a pretty rod. They are not just well balanced but also very ergonomic with allot of their custom reel seats. They also do their tapers very well and make rods that are excellent casters and keep fish hooked. Id rather have a rod that is comfortable in hand and loads and casts like an extension of your hand than something that is ever so slightly lighter or more sensitive but not as comfortable to fish or doesn't cast as well.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:11 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:17 pm
tmd11111 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:06 pm
russ57 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:33 pm
Dobyns
But they have a heck of a fanboy following on Facebook
So does Chrysler. :lol:
MOPAR, Baby!

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:30 am

Coming back for Round 2 ...

After serious thought and 20+ years as a tackle enthusiast, a few observations:

1. ALL rod manufacturers have at least 1 over rated rod in their product line up. In my personal experience, the LEAST over rated would be Evergreen-International. They had a few that didn't fit my fishing style after use but none were hyped beyond reality.

2. Although this topic was placed in the "Rod" heading, to the guy who was proud of he never overspent on a reel, try this one: You break a rod, you can still hand-line and land it. If a reel seizes or drag craps out, you're buggered.

3. I've seen pics and posted them of guys in Japan baking rod blanks in a garage. Didn't fish it, so it could have been garbage but :whistle:

4. Capital companies and private equity firms have destroyed more tackle companies and ruined the fishing industry than PETA.

5. People always talk about the hobgoblins of politics "Authoritarianism and Fascism" like it's the only worry. Well, anarchy is no day at the beach either. Anarchy is rampant in fishing these days.

more to follow but just chew on that for now ...

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:34 am

Drakestar wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:34 am
Never owned a Champion Extreme rod, I'll take people by their word that the HP rods are indeed overrated. The only Dobyns I have in that area are DX806 and 807 swimbait rods, which perform well in my mind for what they are (broomsticks).

I do have an Xtasy, which I don't feel is overrated; it hangs with the other high-end rods I own. Maybe not quite as sensitive as the Xrays, NRXs and K2 blanks of the world, but "very, very sensitive" and very fun to fish because of how balanced they are.
I have the older generation of Dobyns Extremes that are not sensitive at all--I do have a couple of the newer ones since the recent update (within the last year or so), but I haven't even taken the labels off yet.

I have an Xtasy 755C that I've been using for fishing jigs, and I do believe that it's a cut above. It's very very sensitive and on par, in my opinion, to my Steez AGS Bottom Contact. I also recently picked up an NRX+ 893c and 873crr--I don't have a lot of time with them, but I don't feel like they're that much better than the Xtasy. Especially so since you can pick up an Xtasy for up to 40% off.

While the Champion Extreme line might be overrated, and underperforming, for bottom contact--the newer rods are definitely lighter and crisper and definitely enjoyable for more moving or topwater baits. Like the DX744c is a great spinnerbait rod and there is a growing population of people using the DX746c for frogs.

I think my other overrated rod would be the St Croix Legend Elite--they are heavy, tip heavy, the foregrip is terrible, but the sensitivity is good. I just feel like they have too many downsides to actually find them enjoyable to fish.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:52 am

Champion and champion extreme are most overrated for me-no where near as good as an expired or Orochi

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Dec 24, 2023 11:47 am

There is nothing worse than St Crotch. Absolutely garbage in every way. They have the looks of 70s rods. Trash hook up ratio for their jig rods. I have never lost more fish with any rod. You couldn’t pay me to use anything of theirs. I could care less if it is “Made in the USA”.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Sun Dec 24, 2023 9:36 pm

raychoi wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:26 pm
Well, if you guys want made in Japan rods with great value, you got to take a look at Olympic and Yamaga Blank. It is too bad both of these companies don't really give a damn about Bass fishing. :-({|=
Dobyns for me as well...

And yes, so sad that Yamaga Blanks doesn't give a crap about bass fishing. Some of their heavier Blue Current III blanks would make killer cranking/moving bait rods.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:34 am

Johnny A wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:30 am
4. Capital companies and private equity firms have destroyed more tackle companies and ruined the fishing industry than PETA.
This is the one that gets me the most. My case in point, Abu Garcia. They were the absolute best when it came to innovation, aesthetics, and build quality up until Pure Fishing gave everybody the boot in 2000, took complete control of operations, and went down the dark path of Chinese and Korean OEMs for most of their products. Up until that point, Abu reels were made in Sweden, Japan, and occasionally the USA. Now they don't offer anything truly unique and have been largely relegated to being a brand only. We get the occasional bone thrown out there with special releases to the Japanese market like the Cardinal 3, 2500C, and other resurrected classic Ambassadeurs, but those are too infrequent to be truly meaningful and they are just re-releases of old models. Things got even worse when Pure Fishing was bought by Rubbermaid (yes, they bought an outdoor company) in 2017 and they axed all contracts with their small business clients such as Ulf Tingstrom and Simon Shimomura. That's also why we haven't seen a new Morrum. Rubbermaid said no, so now that too has gone the way of the dodo. I fear for the day if this happens to Daiwa and Shimano.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:20 am

tincanary wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 4:34 am
Johnny A wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2023 6:30 am
This is the one that gets me the most. My case in point, Abu Garcia. They were the absolute best when it came to innovation, aesthetics, and build quality up until Pure Fishing gave everybody the boot in 2000, took complete control of operations, and went down the dark path of Chinese and Korean OEMs for most of their products. Up until that point, Abu reels were made in Sweden, Japan, and occasionally the USA. Now they don't offer anything truly unique and have been largely relegated to being a brand only. We get the occasional bone thrown out there with special releases to the Japanese market like the Cardinal 3, 2500C, and other resurrected classic Ambassadeurs, but those are too infrequent to be truly meaningful and they are just re-releases of old models. Things got even worse when Pure Fishing was bought by Rubbermaid (yes, they bought an outdoor company) in 2017 and they axed all contracts with their small business clients such as Ulf Tingstrom and Simon Shimomura. That's also why we haven't seen a new Morrum. Rubbermaid said no, so now that too has gone the way of the dodo. I fear for the day if this happens to Daiwa and Shimano.
But where there is extinction there is also opportunity. Botique brands can flourish, for those who can afford them. G-Nius Project and RAID Japan are recent start ups with bright futures. Imakatsu and Evergreen staying true to their roots.
I still haven't figured out how Daiwa has changed but name change to Globe Ride makes me wonder what's going on there. Lucky Craft is doing some rearranging and cheapening of some baits.

tincanary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by tincanary » Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:39 am

Johnny A wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:20 am
But where there is extinction there is also opportunity. Botique brands can flourish, for those who can afford them. G-Nius Project and RAID Japan are recent start ups with bright futures. Imakatsu and Evergreen staying true to their roots.
I still haven't figured out how Daiwa has changed but name change to Globe Ride makes me wonder what's going on there. Lucky Craft is doing some rearranging and cheapening of some baits.
True. I've been looking at the Isuzu/Try-Angle offerings lately. I've almost bought a Smith Plugger and BC420SSS 3 or 4 times the last few months lol