Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by Samuel_b » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:58 pm

goldrod wrote:
Samuel_b wrote:Every Steez rod I’ve ever tried and same with Dobyns
Wow...
Don't get me wrong the Steez rods in particular are high quality nice rods, but when we're talking overrated I take into account the cost of the rod...and particularly when I can buy an Expride or similar rod on eBay and it has more sensitivity it's just not worth the cost at that point. Sensitivity isn't everything but let's be honest it's at least 85% of what's important when you're paying for a jig rod etc. As for Dobyn's to me it's all smoke and mirrors built on a cheap heavy blank from China.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 7:57 pm

SVF vs HVF.... Seems to generally be different animals
???

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:35 pm

I don't meant to denigrate the Compile-X 71H, but the less expensive and still in production comparable Steez AGS blows it away in terms of sensitivity in my hands. I really loved the action, power, and aesthetics of the Compile-X, but at that price point, it just didn't do it for me. The Steez AGS rods however, compete well with the top of the food chain rods in their price point, again, in my hands. That 72MHRB is one of those "all purpose" type rods that is working its way into legendary status in my own personal arsenal.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:44 am

My St.Croix 7MH LE is a perfect utility stick. Topwater, cranks, spinnerbaits, traps. I LOVE it.
I've only had issues with the newer Destroyer line from Megabass. I purchased two '16 fausts, a FMJ and a '16 super destroyer. A pike broke a Faust tip boatside and a smalllie broke my FMJ in a similar manner. Not long after that the cork on the lock nut cracked off my super destroyer. I kept both of my Fausts because I use them for everything; jigs, frogs, punching and swimbaits but I still wince a bit when pulling a fish out of thick cover. I also have a evo 5.5 xti that I love. MB warranteed both the Faust and FMJ with no issue. I appoxied the SD. They fish great just not sure if it was bad luck or durability problem.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:31 am

Obz wrote:My St.Croix 7MH LE is a perfect utility stick. Topwater, cranks, spinnerbaits, traps. I LOVE it.
I've only had issues with the newer Destroyer line from Megabass. I purchased two '16 fausts, a FMJ and a '16 super destroyer. A pike broke a Faust tip boatside and a smalllie broke my FMJ in a similar manner. Not long after that the cork on the lock nut cracked off my super destroyer. I kept both of my Fausts because I use them for everything; jigs, frogs, punching and swimbaits but I still wince a bit when pulling a fish out of thick cover. I also have a evo 5.5 xti that I love. MB warranteed both the Faust and FMJ with no issue. I appoxied the SD. They fish great just not sure if it was bad luck or durability problem.
Yeah; I’ve been hesitant to post about this. Mine have also had trouble staying together. All rods can break. However, there are also patterns of frequency that are hard to ignore. I warrantied one, but just threw it away after it broke the second time. Each time was a total wtf moment of just plain fishing.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:09 am

Interesting points about reels, I agree and disagree at the same time ;). I like my Steez reels and my customized/upgraded TD-Z's. I'm a fan of a lighter high end reel, I'm a fan of the smoothness, the "reeling in butter" feel you get with the higher end gear.

That being said, I've posted a few times on various reel rec threads - if for some reason I had to start all over, I would likely just buy a bunch of Tat CT's and a couple Tat SV's and be done with it. Or I might even entertain the dark side and load up on some Bantam's and a few Curado DC's for that matter.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:21 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Obz wrote:My St.Croix 7MH LE is a perfect utility stick. Topwater, cranks, spinnerbaits, traps. I LOVE it.
Yeah; I’ve been hesitant to post about this. Mine have also had trouble staying together. All rods can break. However, there are also patterns of frequency that are hard to ignore. I warrantied one, but just threw it away after it broke the second time. Each time was a total wtf moment of just plain fishing.
Wtf is a good way of putting it. Thanks for saying something, I figured it couldn't just be me. The first time I thought maybe the line twisted around a guide or st and I didn't notice. The second time left me scratching my head.

Hulkster
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Hulkster » Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:36 am

for the first generation E6X rods (released in 2015) I would agree that some models are overrated (some are heavy etc).

However, the 2018 updated E6X rods feel much better (lighter). Looks like Loomis/Shimano listened, which is great.

I too do not like some of the reel seats on the St. Croix higher end offerings (eg the legend tourn.) but I think they have changed the reel seats for 2019. the gaudy look to some of there rods (LT, Mojo - Purple?) still remains however.

But their plain old Avid offering to me is great - good looks, comfortable reel seats, no micro guides etc. A lot of value for your buck and a good blank - just like the 2018 E6X rods.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Wed Mar 27, 2019 11:00 am

Obz wrote:
Polkfish1 wrote:
Wtf is a good way of putting it. Thanks for saying something, I figured it couldn't just be me. The first time I thought maybe the line twisted around a guide or st and I didn't notice. The second time left me scratching my head.
I wouldn’t say they’re overrated, but all the MB rods after the X7, gen 1 xx, and X4 have left me wanting more except the Evo diablo type l. Ive owned 4 us destroyers, and really liked the Valdivia when it came out due to the action power and taper but it’s uncomfortable fishing them for a long time with the current reelseats and grips. The trigger digs into the skin between my fingers, and I prefer the older thinner grips. Also I really liked the older blanks much better especially the X7s.The XXX and gen 2 XXs and destroyers I bought are all gone except a black Themis I got as a gift. I kept the javelin because it replaced my 2 nautilus phase 3s that were defective and broke in the same spot and it’s a great all around rod. I love their rods and the new powers and tapers, but think the new blanks are a downgrade in looks,sensitivity, and have a different flex to them than what I prefer. Their new levantes, XX,XXX, and destroyers are still a very good option for their price points compared to what’s available across the market. With a couple from each line you can have a very versitle, good perfoming, and well rounded line of rods. I just prefer their old stuff. I forgot to mention that I broke a war hammer with a fish on the line as well, but I bought it used, so I can’t complain about their warranty, and wouldn’t because it’s pretty good to be honest.

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:02 pm

78Staff wrote:Interesting points about reels, I agree and disagree at the same time ;). I like my Steez reels and my customized/upgraded TD-Z's. I'm a fan of a lighter high end reel, I'm a fan of the smoothness, the "reeling in butter" feel you get with the higher end gear.

That being said, I've posted a few times on various reel rec threads - if for some reason I had to start all over, I would likely just buy a bunch of Tat CT's and a couple Tat SV's and be done with it. Or I might even entertain the dark side and load up on some Bantam's and a few Curado DC's for that matter.
I've come to full circle to this same line of thinking on mid-range high end reels being enough. I've given up spending north of $300 on reels, or for the time being lol. I in fact just ordered a tuned Tatula from Tackle Trap that they upgraded with ZPI bearings and some extra bearing in the reel and still didn't spend much. With the price you can get the Tatula, Zillion SV, Scorpion, etc... I just don't see the need to blow money on a tiny bit of extra refinement when these reels basically hold up with them. Rods are a different story though: I still enjoy my high end rods!

Dink Dawg
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Dink Dawg » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:19 pm

This was an interesting read. Then again, I had the time. Just waiting for my bowel prep to take effect.

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:58 am

I had a Green Nrx with recoil guides, did not like it at all, sold after a week of buying it.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DirtyD64 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:09 am

Salty Parrot wrote:I had a Green Nrx with recoil guides, did not like it at all, sold after a week of buying it.
Just looked up recoil guides, have heard mixed reviews on them. I knew what they looked like, but thought for some reason they still had an insert somehow installed in them. I also thought they were a more budget rod component, didn't realize they came on upper model Loomis rods. What is the general consensus on recoil guides on this forum???

Salty Parrot
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Salty Parrot » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:39 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Salty Parrot wrote:I had a Green Nrx with recoil guides, did not like it at all, sold after a week of buying it.
Just looked up recoil guides, have heard mixed reviews on them. I knew what they looked like, but thought for some reason they still had an insert somehow installed in them. I also thought they were a more budget rod component, didn't realize they came on upper model Loomis rods. What is the general consensus on recoil guides on this forum???
I didnt sell it cuz of the guides but cuz of the rod itself. I don't like how any of the loomis rods look, the cork looks funny, the trigger doesn't feel right, and the blank doesn't feel sensitive like how others said they feel. But everybody has different opinions.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 am

DirtyD64 wrote:
Proven by pictures here a long time ago-recoil guides have grooved just from flouro, not even braid. The newest series that have a pvd coating called "black pearl"(I think) are said to be more durable, but I don't buy it at all. Besides that, I use braid almost exclusively, and those guides are crazy-loud with braid running thru them, especially under load.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.