Who is the MOST over rated ?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Who is the MOST over rated ?

Post by dragon1 » Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:10 pm

Dirty Secrets of PE firms and what they have done to destroy the fishing industry:

https://youtu.be/7cX7MzrK-_s?si=Gk7LCD7iky65P_wS
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:14 am

dragon1 wrote:
Mon Dec 25, 2023 10:10 pm
Dirty Secrets of PE firms and what they have done to destroy the fishing industry:

I'm not a big YT person since Jenna Marbles left the scene but I watched before and it's right on!

I'm not a big fan of Mom and Pops either though. They take care of their people but that's a whole other story ... :roll:

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:11 pm

Johnny A wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:14 am
dragon1 wrote:

I'm not a big YT person since Jenna Marbles left the scene but I watched before and it's right on!

I'm not a big fan of Mom and Pops either though. They take care of their people but that's a whole other story ... :roll:
It'll never be "perfect"...but I'll stand against corporate greed commingling with government fascism, ANY DAY ALL DAY.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Dec 27, 2023 1:15 am

dragon1 wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 6:11 pm
Johnny A wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2023 11:14 am
dragon1 wrote:

It'll never be "perfect"...but I'll stand against corporate greed commingling with government fascism, ANY DAY ALL DAY.
You and me both!

BASSLAYER
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by BASSLAYER » Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:07 am

I'd choose a Kistler over a Dobyns :lol:
Kenjutsu
(剣術)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jan 03, 2024 8:56 am

BASSLAYER wrote:
Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:07 am
I'd choose a Kistler over a Dobyns :lol:
i would as well. happily
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

RMCatchNrelease
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by RMCatchNrelease » Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:32 am

St. Croix - never held one that felt good in hand. Tip heavy as all hell. The actions were too powerful/weak, and the looks are God awful. The new victory looked good on paper, drove to the shop, picked them up and was so unimpressed. Balance is so bad.

I don't get the Dobyn hate. Especially when they are 60% off at times. My buddy grabbed a few and I was really impressed with the hand feel. They are not super sensitive, but the power, action, and especially balance are really good. They make great top water, spinnerbaits, and cranking rods.

Honestly, I'd take a Dobyns over a St. Croix any day after having held them both.

godshippy
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by godshippy » Sun Jan 07, 2024 7:40 pm

RMCatchNrelease wrote:
Sun Jan 07, 2024 4:32 am
St. Croix - never held one that felt good in hand. Tip heavy as all hell. The actions were too powerful/weak, and the looks are God awful. The new victory looked good on paper, drove to the shop, picked them up and was so unimpressed. Balance is so bad.

I don't get the Dobyn hate. Especially when they are 60% off at times. My buddy grabbed a few and I was really impressed with the hand feel. They are not super sensitive, but the power, action, and especially balance are really good. They make great top water, spinnerbaits, and cranking rods.

Honestly, I'd take a Dobyns over a St. Croix any day after having held them both.
The MSRP on Dobyns are really high--but yes, they can be had for 40%+ off quite regularly, and the second hand market is good too. You can pick one up second hand without any worry that Dobyns will honor the no hassle warranty.

I felt that the first generation of Dobyns Champion Extremes were way overrated--people were telling me how sensitive they are...no, they are dead in hand. They make great reaction bait rods, but at $330 MSRP--definitely not worth it. The new Extreme HP--I don't have any time on the water with them. I got a few through the warranty but have been picking up higher end/enthusiast grade rods to fill the sensitivity category. My NRX+ and Steez AGS are sensitive as heck.

I will say that the Xtasy is a very sensitive rod--I was very pleasantly surprised at how sensitive they were, but given the price it's a bit out of reach.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:51 pm

I have only owned three factory St. Croix...two were excellent, a slate green LE 6'6" MH and the legendary brown blank LE in 7'0" Med. The third was a total turd, for the way I fish anyway. It was the Legend Xtreme 7'2" (IIRC) MHXF...was supposed to be a great light plastics and small jig rod, and it sucked on hooksets, although the balance and sensitivity was very good.

My other St. Croix LE blanks were all custom and all three were great finished rods.