Alcance (zpi) rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Alcance (zpi) rods

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:27 am

I was rushed into getting the last spool I wanted from TT a bit earlier than planned. After, I went to the zpi website out of curiosity to see if custom parts had disappeared. They did. I found the full initial line up of rods. Based on price, seems like an intro end type series: https://zpi.jp/products/201901-rod/

Looks like a simple build; one might say ‘clean’ to keep it positive. Given that I don’t see any conspicuous advertising pointing out features of blank construction and guide material, it makes me wonder if this rod line up is going the way of the first reel that was announced. Perhaps someone has heard/read something surprisingly positive about these.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Alcance (zpi) rods

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:34 pm

Is it also a Bionic Blade?

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:43 pm

It's prolly some bass pro junk like the reel..
I'm gonna miss the old zpi.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:13 pm

Priced in the $330-$360 range. They’re planning on competing with the XX, Adrena’s, and almost Jdm destroyer prices. They better be pretty good. Here’s a video of them fishing the rods and reels https://youtu.be/uNnJFFmd5Ow

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:54 pm

domthewon wrote:Priced in the $330-$360 range. They’re planning on competing with the XX, Adrena’s, and almost Jdm destroyer prices. They better be pretty good. Here’s a video of them fishing the rods and reels https://youtu.be/uNnJFFmd5Ow

Good video. Few observations: the tackle seems highly functional; love the spots he’s fishing; it’s great how Japanese anglers often seem to have a bit of a punk rock vide (hair, etc.), and those largemouth he’s catching put up a nice mean fight, on one I initially thought he hooked into a snakehead or something.

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Cracker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:06 pm

What do you mean, are they not making spools and custom parts anymore?

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:23 pm

Cracker wrote:What do you mean, are they not making spools and custom parts anymore?
Nope, they are going into rods and reels, no more custom spools or other parts. There is a thread here that looks deeper at the reel they are offering. Turns out, it is the same reel as a current BPS reel model.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:50 pm

If their reel is just a cheapo aliexpress reel with ZPI parts, i now ask myself if their rods are just Favorite garbage with the ZPI branding on them.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:53 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Cracker wrote:What do you mean, are they not making spools and custom parts anymore?
Nope, they are going into rods and reels, no more custom spools or other parts. There is a thread here that looks deeper at the reel they are offering. Turns out, it is the same reel as a current BPS reel model.
Had no idea they're going out the custom parts business. I do love their spools and bearings, but handles, knobs, star drags, etc is meh to me... the others do it better.

SSS
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SSS » Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:00 pm

Just noticed :mrgreen:

if you listen to the video with a pair of headphones, you can hear the grindy/cheap sound on the reel. Same thing you'd get on a Piscifun, KastKing, Favorite and the rest of bottom of the barrel reels.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:35 pm

That reel with the same name being the same OEM platform as a friggin Bionic Plus reel from Bass Pro make my HIGHLY suspect of the rod. Just nope.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:48 pm

LowRange wrote:Is it also a Bionic Blade?
Big lol! It was my first baitcast rod. Paired it with a pro qualifier reel. Thing was BA until the butt cap unscrewed and I had to tape up the end of it. My dad still uses it for trolling walleye.