Falcon Cara Head Turner Casting Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Falcon Cara Head Turner Casting Rod

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 am

I was a Falcon rod nut (at one point). I still have several. The Lowrider XG was my first Falcon rod (6'8" MHMF). Still my favorite rod ever. I even had both sizes of the original FTO tackle bags.

Here is my observation on the Cara line: I had several Cara's and then moved on to the T7's. I loved them and still have two. BUT...several years ago I noticed their build quality went to CRAP. It all changed at the same time they changed the hook keeper. They stopped wrapping in front of the winding check in front of the reel seat. I found Lowrider 20's and Cara's that had a cheap rubber winding check that wasn't glued in place that wasn't even the correct size - you could see the arbor underneath the reel seat while the rod was in the rack.

I sent some emails and FB messages to them about the crappy builds but they were never returned. The Bucoo HD is built cleaner than the last few Cara's I have looked at.

I have not held a new Expert and I would RATHER fish a Falcon rod than any other - but it would have to be American made, with a clean/quality build, and without an ACS seat (I came to hate that seat after a couple years). Otherwise I'll just fish Daiwa/Shimano/whatever and keep my options open.

ShimanoFan
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ShimanoFan » Tue May 14, 2019 6:58 am

LAGVPI99 wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 5:37 am

I have not held a new Expert and I would RATHER fish a Falcon rod than any other - but it would have to be American made, with a clean/quality build,

Otherwise I'll just fish Daiwa/Shimano/whatever and keep my options open.
Apparently Falcon does not care about quality any longer... only made in China profits.

I would not replace Falcon with anything Daiwa or Shimano as far as rods go.

I replaced Falcon with Edge Rods made in USA by Gary Loomis. Far superior.
Why is there a concerted effort of hate? And why is it allowed?

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue May 14, 2019 7:27 am

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:20 pm
So, this outsourcing has left a burning question in my mind.... is CUI going under? (Composites Unlimited) They are in OK and rolled all of Falcon's USA-made blanks, to my knowledge. I had a buddy who worked there at one time. I will ask him, though not sure if he would know, since he left them back in 2010.
It looks like they went under, I hate that Falcon has outsourced as I liked the Lowrider Salt series and they are discontinued now.

Warhawk
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Warhawk » Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am

It’s the Wal Mart effect. I never knew WM sold Falcon rods until I saw a Bucco in clearance bin.

Wal Mart places an order with a company with a trusted brand name, then slowly squeezes the profits out until they are forced to go Chinese or go out of business

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue May 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am
It’s the Wal Mart effect. I never knew WM sold Falcon rods until I saw a Bucco in clearance bin.

Wal Mart places an order with a company with a trusted brand name, then slowly squeezes the profits out until they are forced to go Chinese or go out of business
Most walmarts around here sell the Jason Christie rods which are us made instead of the bucoo. Makes no sense that the $99 rod is made here and a lowrider is made offshore.

LAGVPI99
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by LAGVPI99 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:14 pm

I just bought two ALX rods...Ikos Promise 7 and Hustler. I haope these prove a worthy Lowrider/Cara replacement. If this goes well I will add a Toadface. Only drawback so far is I am not crazy about the reel seat. Would prefer an ECS to whatever it is but it is a clone...

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Warhawk wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 11:09 am

Worked for a short time with a guy who lost his job (very good paying) at Johnson & Johnson. That is exactly what happened to the company in New Jersey. In order to keep their business with Walmart they were force to build a plant in China and close the one in New Jersey. Walmart couldn't care less about the jobs of Americans. Like any company...the bottom dollar is all that counts.

jbabin193
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jbabin193 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:35 pm

I put my hands on the new lowriders a week or so ago. I was definitely not impressed, to the point of being disappointed. The guides, while fuji k frames, were very weak and easy to bend. Not sure what metal they are, but I can easily see them getting bent and breaking off. Overall fit and finish was not up to par at all. Rubber grommet pushed against the winding check and not even glued in place. Some rods did not have the blank centered in the reel seat.

The actions were consistent with previous models, and sensitivity seem about the same, but overall a disappointment.

They had a few expert series rods as well... quality control might have been a little better overall, but I didn't feel the need to buy one for $200...