LOOKING FOR Below 4oz Bass Casting Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: LOOKING FOR Below 4oz Bass Casting Rod

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:28 pm

timinmo wrote:Well I have not weighted one but the Shimano SLX is a light rod and lists for $100. St. Croix has the Bass-X at $100 also but for me the Avid is a much better rod at $200 MSRP. I do not know the weights on any of them but if you have not decided by Tuesday I could weight them for you. TFO has some nice rods in your price range. I have handled all the above rods but not fished any. I do not recall any of them as being very tip heavy. In your price range there are alot of good rods. Once again if you have not decided by Tuesday I can weight some for you.
I was also going to suggest the new Mojo rods, but again I have no idea what they weigh. People seem to like them, though. There's a 68M/F, 68M/XF, and 71M/F. Plus they're purple, so there's that. 8-)
This is the way.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:43 pm

poisonokie wrote:
hoohoorjoo wrote:
poisonokie wrote:https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 2578349436

Didn't see the 7' MXB, but that would also be a great choice at that price.
Those Zillions....the sensitivity really underwhelmed me. Just my opinion, your results may vary.
Which model? The 661HFB isn't bad for a pool cue dock skipping/tight quarters heavy cover stick. It doesn't "wow" me or anything, but it's pretty good. I wish they would've gone with smaller guides, but the ones they use don't even register the existence of heavy braid to heavy leader connection knots, so that's what I use it for.

The 801HFB surprised me with its sensitivity for such a long, powerful rod, but then I only use it with 20# fluoro and 3/4+ tungsten with no more than 20' of line out.
I had the 7' MXB and 7'MHF. Neither one was very sensitive, and that was with braid. But on the other hand, both of them were more sensitive than the Steez 7'1" HF Compile-X. That rod was a joke, especially for what it originally cost.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:56 pm

timinmo wrote:Well I have not weighted one but the Shimano SLX is a light rod and lists for $100. St. Croix has the Bass-X at $100 also but for me the Avid is a much better rod at $200 MSRP. I do not know the weights on any of them but if you have not decided by Tuesday I could weight them for you. TFO has some nice rods in your price range. I have handled all the above rods but not fished any. I do not recall any of them as being very tip heavy. In your price range there are alot of good rods. Once again if you have not decided by Tuesday I can weight some for you.
I’m not in a huge rush just want to make a smart decision with this rod. I wish daiwa had a Medium fast Tatula Rod but sadly they don’t. If you could weigh the rods you mention I would appreciate it, thanks

QUAKEnSHAKE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by QUAKEnSHAKE » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:57 pm

Okuma Helios 7' M and 7' MH rods are 3.3-3.5oz range. TT review rates it at a 5 for balance so very light balanced rods and I agree I have both. They can be found in the $150 range.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Okuma-Fishin ... e/34742965

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:04 pm

What do you guys think of the Fenwick Aetos, I see they have 7’ Medium
Fast model ?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:08 pm

Edward78 wrote:
I’m not in a huge rush just want to make a smart decision with this rod. I wish daiwa had a Medium fast Tatula Rod but sadly they don’t. If you could weigh the rods you mention I would appreciate it, thanks
They do, but it's 4" too short.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:56 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote: I had the 7' MXB and 7'MHF. Neither one was very sensitive, and that was with braid. But on the other hand, both of them were more sensitive than the Steez 7'1" HF Compile-X. That rod was a joke, especially for what it originally cost.
I've never used either of those. The Tatula versions are pretty good, but probably because they're also 80 or 90 dollars cheaper. Or really like $100 or more in real world prices.
This is the way.

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:18 pm

Kistler has 21% off right now. They should have something.

Powell Endurance 683 or 733 should be in that range.

nossuc242
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by nossuc242 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:17 pm

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixFTX71MH.html

Phenix Feather 7'1 MH is what your looking for. Under $200, weighs 3.2 oz on my scale, good balance. It's rated MH but it's actually medium.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:20 am

nossuc242 wrote:http://www.tackletour.com/reviewphenixFTX71MH.html

Phenix Feather 7'1 MH is what your looking for. Under $200, weighs 3.2 oz on my scale, good balance. It's rated MH but it's actually medium.
I think this might be the one. Looks to good to be true honestly.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:39 am

Edward78 wrote:

I think this might be the one. Looks to good to be true honestly.
As long as those guides hold up. Never heard of Essex before.
This is the way.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by timinmo » Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Edward78, I had offered to weigh some rods when I got back to work today. Well I did weigh some and made some notes. That piece of paper is now in the washing machine along with the shirt I wore today. Sorry. I am going to try to summarize things as best as I can remember. I'm 65 so no guarantees as to the accuracy. I weighed an Avid X 7' M moderate it was the only rod that was under 4oz. I know you were looking for fast action but I did not have one currently. I also weighed the following: TFO 7' MF
MSRP was $100, it was over 4 oz. Megabass Flatside Special, Levante, it was also over 4 oz but is a cool rod at $200, I did not have 7' in either SLX or Exage which both cost $100, I weighed 7'2" MH for both and the Exage was I think the heaviest of the bunch at 4.7 oz I think the SLX was like 4.4, I did not have anything close from the BassX line (we sold 11 of them Saturday). The TFO felt much lighter than the numbers show. The Avid X is over your budget at about $220, but you might find a deal.

Sorry I could not give you more accurate information. Other posts seem to indicate the Phenix rod is very light but we do not handle that brand. Good luck with your search.

Heddonfrog
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heddonfrog » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Ya beat me to it. It was the first rod I thought of when reading what the OP was looking for. Not only under $200 they’re under $150 and I’ve seen them as low as $129 with sales or ‘best offer’ deals on that auction site no one ever names. Are you enjoying yours?

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:37 am

timinmo wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:07 pm
Edward78, I had offered to weigh some rods when I got back to work today. Well I did weigh some and made some notes. That piece of paper is now in the washing machine along with the shirt I wore today. Sorry. I am going to try to summarize things as best as I can remember. I'm 65 so no guarantees as to the accuracy. I weighed an Avid X 7' M moderate it was the only rod that was under 4oz. I know you were looking for fast action but I did not have one currently. I also weighed the following: TFO 7' MF
MSRP was $100, it was over 4 oz. Megabass Flatside Special, Levante, it was also over 4 oz but is a cool rod at $200, I did not have 7' in either SLX or Exage which both cost $100, I weighed 7'2" MH for both and the Exage was I think the heaviest of the bunch at 4.7 oz I think the SLX was like 4.4, I did not have anything close from the BassX line (we sold 11 of them Saturday). The TFO felt much lighter than the numbers show. The Avid X is over your budget at about $220, but you might find a deal.

Sorry I could not give you more accurate information. Other posts seem to indicate the Phenix rod is very light but we do not handle that brand. Good luck with your search.
Thank you sir for info and going through the trouble of weighing your rods.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:49 am

Heddonfrog wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 pm

Ya beat me to it. It was the first rod I thought of when reading what the OP was looking for. Not only under $200 they’re under $150 and I’ve seen them as low as $129 with sales or ‘best offer’ deals on that auction site no one ever names. Are you enjoying yours?
I actually ended up going with the Phenix Feather 7'1" ML rod and and i was worried I might regret it but I'm very happy with it. Its really exactly what I was wanting but even lighter. Its feels like a fast action medium spinning rod and only weighs 3.12oz, I put my Daiwa SV Light Limited on it with Seaguar Red 8# test with a total combo weight of 8.52 oz. Thank you everyone for your help