Alternatives to my rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Alternatives to my rod

Post by Drew03cmc » Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Hey all, I have an old, red SBR752 and I'm wondering what another alternative, relatively same length, power, etc would be. I like this rod with my Lew's SS1SH and 12# copoly for wading and floating smaller waters from the yak. I'd love to find a similar, comparable stick to put a Tournament Pro 6.4 on. Any brand, make, model suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks y'all.
Andy

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Alternatives to my rod

Post by Polkfish1 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm

Hey Andy:

Sure someone here can help you out. Maybe post a bit more about the rod you’re using. I for one have no experience with the model you’re refering to so can’t offer much advice for a good alternative.

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:12 pm

I don’t know if I can help you or not, but can you explain why you’re anxious to stick with such a short rod? Is it because it’s easier to use in the yak? 6’3 is extremely short by current standards, and I’ve found no drawbacks to longer rods in terms of working even topwaters or jerkbaits (even in a 12’ rowboat), and with a little practice I became as accurate with a 6’10 - 7’3 as I was with the six footers I used in the past. I’m not trying to say you’re wrong, I’m just mentioning that many/most of the reasons people are uncomfortable going to a long rod aren’t issues for the vast majority who make the switch.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:58 am

I used to think I should only use rods over 7', the longer the better, weight and balance be damned. I'm 6' tall and now all my favorite sticks range from 6'4" to 6'10". Most of the extra length in the 7 footers I use most is in the handle. I've found that especially for jerkbaits, poppers, walking baits, and skipping a perfectly balanced rod 6'6" or shorter is indispensable. A crisp rod with the right action won't give up much of anything in terms of casting distance compared to a longer one and will greatly improve ease of casting bait placement. To me accuracy trumps distance 90% of the time anyway. I still utilize a short handled 8 footer for flipping and I have 7'7" and 8' cranking rods I mostly only use on the lake where distance is king.
This is the way.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 pm

Randingo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:12 pm
I don’t know if I can help you or not, but can you explain why you’re anxious to stick with such a short rod? Is it because it’s easier to use in the yak? 6’3 is extremely short by current standards, and I’ve found no drawbacks to longer rods in terms of working even topwaters or jerkbaits (even in a 12’ rowboat), and with a little practice I became as accurate with a 6’10 - 7’3 as I was with the six footers I used in the past. I’m not trying to say you’re wrong, I’m just mentioning that many/most of the reasons people are uncomfortable going to a long rod aren’t issues for the vast majority who make the switch.
The rod is a 6'3 M XFast. I am more comfy with a shorter 6'2-6'4 rod for most of my fishing. I have and have used rods 6'6-8' and prefer the shorter sticks for everything I do. I'm open for any suggestions for rods.
Andy

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:49 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:58 am
I used to think I should only use rods over 7', the longer the better, weight and balance be damned. I'm 6' tall and now all my favorite sticks range from 6'4" to 6'10". Most of the extra length in the 7 footers I use most is in the handle. I've found that especially for jerkbaits, poppers, walking baits, and skipping a perfectly balanced rod 6'6" or shorter is indispensable. A crisp rod with the right action won't give up much of anything in terms of casting distance compared to a longer one and will greatly improve ease of casting bait placement. To me accuracy trumps distance 90% of the time anyway. I still utilize a short handled 8 footer for flipping and I have 7'7" and 8' cranking rods I mostly only use on the lake where distance is king.
I prefer short rods. My longest now is 7'3, but I simply gravitate to 6'6 and under. This Loomis 752 is perfect for my preferred means of fishing, but I'd like a similar rod for having a pair rigged and set to go on the yak.
Andy

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm
Hey Andy:

Sure someone here can help you out. Maybe post a bit more about the rod you’re using. I for one have no experience with the model you’re refering to so can’t offer much advice for a good alternative.
It's a 6'3 M Xfast Loomis 10-17, 3/8-1/2 rating.
Andy

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:22 pm

Drew03cmc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:49 pm
Polkfish1 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:43 pm
Hey Andy:

It's a 6'3 M Xfast Loomis 10-17, 3/8-1/2 rating.
Alright. If you want to think about something quite different but in the same spirit of compact, high accuracy , how about a steez liberator. It’s a 6 3 mh, but not extra fast. I think it’s got the same exact rating as your loomis.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:31 pm

There are some MB Destroyers that would be right up your alley...
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:48 pm

Look to the Jdm market. They have and use many, many shorter rods. They have become almost obsolete on our side of the pond.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:30 pm

Hey Andy, have you considered a custom rod? Gonna send the screw tomorrow, btw.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:30 pm
Hey Andy, have you considered a custom rod? Gonna send the screw tomorrow, btw.
I have, indeed, but would need to find a blank, maker, etc. The Xfast part isn't a big deal and I'm trying to avoid dropping 4 bills on it, but if need be. The Destroyers are gorgeous and would work well, but damn they're pricey. The Steez Liberator, I've never seen. I'll have to check it out.
Andy

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:05 am

This Rainshadow blank is a great candidate for not a lot of money. You can have the builder butt-cut it if you want it shorter, like your current rod. I can put you in touch with a builder who does good work for very reasonable rates.
https://www.getbitoutdoors.com/catalog/ ... gory/2862/
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am

Drew03cmc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm

I have, indeed, but would need to find a blank, maker, etc. The Xfast part isn't a big deal and I'm trying to avoid dropping 4 bills on it, but if need be. The Destroyers are gorgeous and would work well, but damn they're pricey. The Steez Liberator, I've never seen. I'll have to check it out.
Wasnt sure of your price range, so I withheld making a suggestion.

Daiwa Black Label (step below the steez) has a 6'3 MH Fast, they also have several other options that might interest you.
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

Raid has two rods in the Gladiator Lineup that also might interest you, both 6'5 The Bandiera and the Black Sparrow. On the website the Bandiera is listed as regular fast, but it is indicated as a fast action rod on the blank.
http://raidjapan.com/?cat=9

Either of these would look stellar with the Lews you have in mind.

These can be found for sub-$300, especially if your willing to buy grade A used. I don't think any of the site sponsors carry them, athough one might be able to source the Daiwa.

Drew03cmc
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Drew03cmc » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:34 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:53 am
Drew03cmc wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:21 pm

Wasnt sure of your price range, so I withheld making a suggestion.

Daiwa Black Label (step below the steez) has a 6'3 MH Fast, they also have several other options that might interest you.
http://www.daiwa.com/jp/fishing/item/ro ... index.html

Raid has two rods in the Gladiator Lineup that also might interest you, both 6'5 The Bandiera and the Black Sparrow. On the website the Bandiera is listed as regular fast, but it is indicated as a fast action rod on the blank.
http://raidjapan.com/?cat=9

Either of these would look stellar with the Lews you have in mind.

These can be found for sub-$300, especially if your willing to buy grade A used. I don't think any of the site sponsors carry them, athough one might be able to source the Daiwa.
Raid looks good. I also notoced that Tailwalk has some available too. Those Black Label are gorgeous!
Andy