G Loomis power ratings

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
versus158
Angler
Angler

G Loomis power ratings

Post by versus158 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:06 am

Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice to try to understand a bit better the power ratings of the GLX and NRX line.
I mainly own shimano rods expride and poison adrena and really am struggling to get my head around g Loomis power ratings.
For example the nrx 854 is marked as heavy but has almost the same lure ratings as my medium expride.
I'm looking for a jig rod to throw 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs in the nrx line and possibly a GLX for texas rigging in heavy grass. Would also throw some 1/4oz swim jigs.
I must say I'm quite confused, in Europe I only have access to the 80 and 85 lengths.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cal
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: G Loomis power ratings

Post by Cal » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:15 am

You want a 4-power in G.Loomis.

This is why we have the RoD Charts in our fishing rod reviews. There is no standard definition for "medium" vs "medium heavy" etc. ... When trying to compare across manufacturers to a brand you're familiar with, if we don't have a review written on the rod, look at the line ratings first, then the lure ratings.
Cal, Managing Editor
"fish with mindfulness : beware the darkside"

Samuel_b
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Samuel_b » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:20 pm

versus158 wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:06 am
Hi everyone,

Looking for some advice to try to understand a bit better the power ratings of the GLX and NRX line.
I mainly own shimano rods expride and poison adrena and really am struggling to get my head around g Loomis power ratings.
For example the nrx 854 is marked as heavy but has almost the same lure ratings as my medium expride.
I'm looking for a jig rod to throw 3/8 to 1/2 oz jigs in the nrx line and possibly a GLX for texas rigging in heavy grass. Would also throw some 1/4oz swim jigs.
I must say I'm quite confused, in Europe I only have access to the 80 and 85 lengths.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Ignore Loomis' power ratings. They set the parameters very tight as they design their rods to be technique specific in the jig and worm rods. I own both and fish both the Heavy expride is very close to a heavy Loomis practically identical. The Loomis rods will tend to be lighter tipped an faster, but effectively a heavy = heavy when comparing Loomis to Shimano. The NRX will fish approximately a 1/4 power lighter than their GLX counterparts in most of the models, but again a MH = MH in shimano. Relax and just buy what you need. You should be looking at the 4 powers mainly unless you like a lighter tip then lean MH on the jig rod. On the heavy grass rod the 894 or 854 should suit you fine...they are basically Expride Heavy action rods.

versus158
Angler
Angler

Post by versus158 » Tue Apr 23, 2019 12:32 am

Thanks Samuel that helped a lot !

Going to get a 854 NRX and see how it goes !