Swimbait rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
M Perry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Swimbait rod

Post by M Perry » Sat May 25, 2019 8:25 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 5:08 pm
ShimanoFan wrote:
Sat May 25, 2019 4:55 pm
They don't work here in central Florida. I have spent a long time trying to find out.

I should know better than getting baited by this. Pros? Buddy Gross won Toho this year and all he did was throw a 6 inch swimbait on an owner beast all day long.

Yep. My own personal experience has taught me to use them with an open mind and the results prove it over and over. I initially I fell for the clear, deep water needed, 9nly work in certain places rhetoric. I am happy that the fish don't read or hear some of that.
Not just with swimbaits but putting limitations on any lure is foolish in my mind. Had a guy argue with me at a show once I was at and swear jigs would not work after water got over 65 degrees. Have had people argue that jerkbaits will not work year round. I guess it's good some feel that way. Means more fish for us.

Revofisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Swimbait rod

Post by Revofisher » Sat May 25, 2019 11:07 pm

majority of my swimbaits are thrown on 8' hvy action swimbait rods. they will handle a wide array of baits on lighter ends and heavier end spectrum. I have fished a lot of brands and the one thing that stands out if weight ratings. if you want to throw 3 oz baits and see a rod rated 1-3 oz see if there is a 2-6 oz rating rod and get that one. most of the rods ive tried never do well with their max weight rating. If your doing a lot of glide baits get a moderate fast action, and for the hudds and top hooks a rod with a faster taper generally does better for driving the hook home. Sadly while you are in the learning curve you miss a ton of fish due to trying to find the right equipment that works for you. the mad draft 6 inch for example can be thrown on your typical hvy action bass rod and be fine because of the treble harness which has a lighter wire treble. Once you use the freestyle version of the bait which recommends a 8/0 owner beast hook you almost need a more powerful rod to drive the hook which is fairly thick on that hook. There are a lot of great rods at all price points to choose from with swim bait fishing you almost spend more money on the baits in the long run than the rod and reels to throw them with.