New Poison Adrena

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Poison Adrena

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:46 pm

18 Adrena is an upgrade over the Expride....For shizzle 8-) . I think the full monocoque grip adds a little something special to the overall blank through transmission. The blank itself is also a step up in terms of livliness, and the Expride is no slouch in that department.

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:03 am

For those who have or have tried the 7'2" Heavy... do you think the action is right for it to be a heavier jig, flipping/punching, and frog rod? I don't need an ultra stout punching rod. Thinking it could be good for 1/2oz and 3/4oz jigs, up to a 1oz tungsten for punching. My Helium3 7'H seems like the tip is a bit softer for frogging hooksets than I would like, and the balance is a little too far towards the tip even with a Bantam on it. I'm thinking the Adrena might be a better option, and it might also be better for punching as well, though I'm not sure. If not the Adrena, what would be a good lightweight rod no more than $350 for such an application? I was thinking the Expride 7'3XH but I'm open to other recommendations. I'm curious about Dobyns' offerings in this area as well.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm

I wished id had brought two at a time.. but I am in time out
Wife says i need to sell before I can buy.. I put a core MG7 on the 6'11" with 12lb sunling and it just transmits bits so distinctively that I just watch in amazement.. Had to put it up for now but hopefully when I get back Ill have the 72".. looks like my instincts about this rod was right and the monocoque butt is just something different.. with the right lightweight reel it talks to you if you put your ear close ;)
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:12 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:11 pm
I wished id had brought two at a time.. but I am in time out
Wife says i need to sell before I can buy.. I put a core MG7 on the 6'11" with 12lb sunling and it just transmits bits so distinctively that I just watch in amazement.. Had to put it up for now but hopefully when I get back Ill have the 72".. looks like my instincts about this rod was right and the monocoque butt is just something different.. with the right lightweight reel it talks to you if you put your ear close ;)
I hate time outs

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 am

bwjay wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:03 am
For those who have or have tried the 7'2" Heavy... do you think the action is right for it to be a heavier jig, flipping/punching, and frog rod? I don't need an ultra stout punching rod. Thinking it could be good for 1/2oz and 3/4oz jigs, up to a 1oz tungsten for punching. My Helium3 7'H seems like the tip is a bit softer for frogging hooksets than I would like, and the balance is a little too far towards the tip even with a Bantam on it. I'm thinking the Adrena might be a better option, and it might also be better for punching as well, though I'm not sure. If not the Adrena, what would be a good lightweight rod no more than $350 for such an application? I was thinking the Expride 7'3XH but I'm open to other recommendations. I'm curious about Dobyns' offerings in this area as well.
It will work good for what you need. i have the 73xh expride i use for frogging. It's tip is very stout, good for 1oz and up. the 72H is much better for texas rigs and jigs imo.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:28 am

The 6’11” M+ has a pretty broad weight range, can anyon speak to where the sweet spot is? I have room for a M casting rod and have been eyeing it pretty hard. I have a Steez sv tw that needs a rod.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am

ive thrown mini jigs, dark sleeper, and tubes on mine. i'd say 1/4 to 3/8 are what i've used and works great.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am
ive thrown mini jigs, dark sleeper, and tubes on mine. i'd say 1/4 to 3/8 are what i've used and works great.
That’s good to hear, the weight rating on it is pretty much identical to an 844c, so I didn’t really have a good idea of what the rod can do. I have been looking at the Hien as my next rod to fill the “light and sensitive” role, but I kind of feel like I want to spice things up and try something new.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Houndfish wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:25 am
cndbasshunter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:14 am
That’s good to hear, the weight rating on it is pretty much identical to an 844c, so I didn’t really have a good idea of what the rod can do. I have been looking at the Hien as my next rod to fill the “light and sensitive” role, but I kind of feel like I want to spice things up and try something new.
My 844C conquest is a much heavier duty rod. It's a true H action that i use for skippng jigs and swim jigs in close quarters. The 611" M+ is like a nrx853.

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:36 pm

cndbasshunter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 am
bwjay wrote:
It will work good for what you need. i have the 73xh expride i use for frogging. It's tip is very stout, good for 1oz and up. the 72H is much better for texas rigs and jigs imo.
I've been looking for a new nighttime t-rig rod for Summer bassin'. Would the 72H be too stout for a 1/4oz bullet weight, force bead, and large plastic like, say, a 10-12" worm, or even something like a 1/2oz swim jig with 5-6" Keitech Fat? Moderate grass at most.

Sorry for the little derailment.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:57 pm

Only 1 spinning model available????

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm
My 844C conquest is a much heavier duty rod. It's a true H action that i use for skippng jigs and swim jigs in close quarters. The 611" M+ is like a nrx853.
Cool, thanks, it’s sounding more and more like what I am looking for.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:50 am

cndbasshunter wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:15 pm
Cool, thanks, it’s sounding more and more like what I am looking for.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:44 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:36 pm
cndbasshunter wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:52 am
bwjay wrote:
I've been looking for a new nighttime t-rig rod for Summer bassin'. Would the 72H be too stout for a 1/4oz bullet weight, force bead, and large plastic like, say, a 10-12" worm, or even something like a 1/2oz swim jig with 5-6" Keitech Fat? Moderate grass at most.

Sorry for the little derailment.

The 72H i use for 1/2oz jigs so the 1/2 swimjig and keitech should be fine. I'd stay under 1oz plus trailer for the 72H.

PBP
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PBP » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:24 am

I have NRX 843 and old style GLX 844, looking for a longer rod somewhere with power in between these 2 for trigs.
Is 73mh lighter in power than glx 844?