New Poison Adrena

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Poison Adrena

Post by Fishing4Fun » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:41 am

What is a Yammy Fluke?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:13 pm

Fishing4Fun wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:41 am
What is a Yammy Fluke?
GYCB Fluke (Yamamoto)
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:19 pm

The skinny on this rod.

I’ve spent all day with two rods, the expride and the ‘19 adrena
I am LOVING the adrena. I have an Antares HG on it 12lb shooter floro on it and I’ve used weightless lures , t-rigs and my green fish tackle itty bitty living rubber jigs 5/16 and 3/8

This rod is beautiful and I love the reel seat and locking nut.
I wouldn’t buy another expride but I can see me buying another adrena. I don’t have a megabass or any other rod that compare to it that I can think of and I’ve been thinking. At first I thought it was a dud but the more I used it the more I got comfortable with it. It has backbone and can be a topwater rod or even chatter-bait, s/b. I never felt sensitivity was lacking and as we know sensitivity is so subjective. For the sake of the subject, I can say I could feel everything my lures were doing and the bites were easily detected even when they occurred in the grass.

It’s not for a heavy reel. That’s why I went with the reel I had available. I have a bantam laying around but it’s just not what I felt would be best for the rod.

If your looking at the expride they only thing I can think of to use it for in terms of versatility are a wacky rig , dropshot extremely light Texas rig, nedrig maybe ?? But certainly small poppers.

Hope this helps someone else.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:12 am

I just got mine in yesterday and will fish it this weekend. I always check guide alignment and integrity on a new rod. One thing I noticed on the adrena is the first 4 guides from the butt are at a 90 degree angle and the last 6 going to the tip are angled forward.

Seems to me that it's either one or the other but not a combination of both on the rods I own. Anyone know the thought process behind the combination?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:27 am

I noticed that on the TW picture. K guides are supposed to be sloped forward, but that stripper guide definitely isn't. It also says they're semi micros, but they don't look it to me.
This is the way.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 am

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:27 am
I noticed that on the TW picture. K guides are supposed to be sloped forward, but that stripper guide definitely isn't. It also says they're semi micros, but they don't look it to me.
Outside of the first 3 guides from the butt they look to be semi micro

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:44 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:27 am
I'll have to take a look at mine when I get home tonight. I don't believe they are reverse stripper guides, but perhaps different size frames.
It depends on what you consider semi micro. To me, semi is 4.5, 5, and 5.5. I believe the smallest guides on this rod are size 6, but I'll double check.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:51 pm

Oops...someone put some guides on backwards :doh:

Not sure if it applies to the series you purchased.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/information/?p=30133

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:05 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:51 pm
Oops...someone put some guides on backwards :doh:

Not sure if it applies to the series you purchased.

http://fishing.shimano.co.jp/information/?p=30133
I believe those are the JDM models. US are 1 piece. I called jackall and they told me the double foots are supposed to be vertical with the remaining guides slanted forward. The theory is the line flows better that way. My first guide after the last double foot is also vertical. Can't wait to fish it this weekend, will provide some feedback then.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:37 am

I got a chance to put this rod through it's paces yesterday and I have to report it is everything I had hoped for. Being primarily a kayak fisherman I can only bring a limited amount of rods, and the 6'11 Medium + is a big asset due to it's versatility. I started the day fishing a 10" worm on a 3/16oz bullet weight. Caught a few this way and I could feel pretty much everything. Sensitivity was very good. Later in the afternoon I switched to a frog and was able to drive the hooks without much problem and keep some fish pinned in mats before I could get over to remove them.

I know it's a medium "plus", but the power in the backbone really surprised me. To cap it off I threw a waking crankbait and caught the biggest fish of the day. The fish jumped a couple times and stayed pegged. I need more experience here, but the rod seems to have just enough give in the first 1/3rd to get away with treble hook baits.

I'm not really sure how Shimano / Jackall did it, but it's one of the more versatile rods I own now. I have it paired with a metanium MGL and it's a very light setup

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:34 am

jerkbait22 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:37 am
I got a chance to put this rod through it's paces yesterday and I have to report it is everything I had hoped for. Being primarily a kayak fisherman I can only bring a limited amount of rods, and the 6'11 Medium + is a big asset due to it's versatility. I started the day fishing a 10" worm on a 3/16oz bullet weight. Caught a few this way and I could feel pretty much everything. Sensitivity was very good. Later in the afternoon I switched to a frog and was able to drive the hooks without much problem and keep some fish pinned in mats before I could get over to remove them.

I know it's a medium "plus", but the power in the backbone really surprised me. To cap it off I threw a waking crankbait and caught the biggest fish of the day. The fish jumped a couple times and stayed pegged. I need more experience here, but the rod seems to have just enough give in the first 1/3rd to get away with treble hook baits.

I'm not really sure how Shimano / Jackall did it, but it's one of the more versatile rods I own now. I have it paired with a metanium MGL and it's a very light setup

It certainly does ALOT of things right
I’m trying different things all the time but I totally convinced that it is a trig and 5/16 to 3/8 oz jig dream come true. I have tried a frog but I’ve stuck some nice fish on a swim jig. I’m only using 12lb floro and will use a buzz jet jr. This week

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:38 pm

I had the 6'11M+F preordered and canceled it, as I decided to look at other options. I mostly bank fish and I need versatility, which it seems that rod would provide, but I wasn't sure I would be able to baby it like I would want to, and it seemed like there might be better options for me. Still, I wonder about it. I wish they offered a shorter MHF, like 6'10". That would probably get my money as a versatile rod whether it be for bottom contact or moving bait or treble bait applications. I guess I should be thankful that they don't though. I've spent enough on fishing gear recently... my wallet is already hiding from the imminent impact of ICAST.

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:26 pm

For what it's worth I've been running straight braid. 30lb Xplasma Asegai

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm

bwjay wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:38 pm
I had the 6'11M+F preordered and canceled it, as I decided to look at other options. I mostly bank fish and I need versatility, which it seems that rod would provide, but I wasn't sure I would be able to baby it like I would want to, and it seemed like there might be better options for me. Still, I wonder about it. I wish they offered a shorter MHF, like 6'10". That would probably get my money as a versatile rod whether it be for bottom contact or moving bait or treble bait applications. I guess I should be thankful that they don't though. I've spent enough on fishing gear recently... my wallet is already hiding from the imminent impact of ICAST.
What did you go with?

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by bwjay » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:07 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:34 pm
bwjay wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:38 pm
What did you go with?
I ended up with a Kistler Helium3, well, 2 of them actually, the 6'9MHXF and the 7'HXF. I read good things about the North Forks blank and a lot of people say it fishes way above its price. I considered it a budget GLX in some ways, though of course it's never that simple.

The 6'9MHXF is a great all rounder so far as far as I can tell, and is my "just bring one" rod for bank fishing. It's closer to a fast action than xfast which was really the deciding factor (along with weight and sensitivity). Both rods are really lightweight. The 7'HXF weighs 4oz - my St Croix 7'MHF Premier has a tiny bit less backbone and weighs 5.4oz, and you can tell. I really enjoy the action of the H3 whereas the Premier feels a bit like a pool cue. If I bring 2 rods with me, the 7'HXF is for heavier moving baits and frogs and the 6'9MHXF is for T-rigs, Senkos, jigs, and maybe topwater I suppose. Minnesota is very weedy in the summer and I don't have the luxury of fishing open water (as a bank fisherman) so I don't really get to fish topwater other than frogs.

I have yet to put the H3s to the test for bottom contact, but so far they seem pretty sensitive. I was working a squarebill last weekend and felt the difference between ticking the top of grass and snagging a thicker weed (before the snag really happened). The action of the squarebill was very well translated through the blank, as was the blade rotation on spinnerbaits. I think it's an acceptable crankbait rod considering the moderate-fast+ action as I did stick a couple fish and only lost a bigger one on a lipless.

Overall I am pretty pleased with the H3s and look forward to putting a lot more time on them. I may get an even nicer rod in the future if I get a kayak, so I can actually use it for specific techniques instead of having to be really versatile (maybe a Poison Adrena or NRX or Zbone for jigs).