Questions about Legend XTreme Inshore, generally... specifically 7MF and 7MLF

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Questions about Legend XTreme Inshore, generally... specifically 7MF and 7MLF

Post by Congoman775 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:03 am

Hey guys, I just landed a deal on two St. Croix Legend Xtreme Inshore rods and feel pretty good about it. You know, the funky looking white ones. Anyhow has anyone dealt with these sticks, how do they hold up/compare performance and durability wise to the field? I have a 7'6 Legend Inshore which is my "daily driver" but been looking to add a shorter rod to the boat for closer trees/docks work, and kayak work, for some time. I'm slightly concerned about staining, but then again.... they're fishing rods, not show pieces. Also any reel recommendations for the 7' M & ML would be great, thanks.

scrapiron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Questions about Legend XTreme Inshore, generally... specifically 7MF and 7MLF

Post by scrapiron » Mon Jun 17, 2019 7:02 am

Congrats on the rods! I remember looking at these at a Dicks a few years ago, but ended up getting the Tidemaster. They sure are nice rods but I haven't seen/heard much about them. I had a Legend Tournament Inshore and it was noticeably better than the Tidemaster. I'd imagine the Xtreme is another step up.

l'd put on a Daiwa Certate LT. :) OR maybe a Stradi Ci4+ depending on exactly which rods you have.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Questions about Legend XTreme Inshore, generally... specifically 7MF and 7MLF

Post by doomtrprz71 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:51 pm

I have the previous model mlf with a tatula sv and its been awesome, plenty durable as well.

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 am

Hey guys, thanks for the responses....

Let me give a short review of these sticks that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and would have been important to me had I not yet bought the rods.

First and foremost, you're getting an outstanding fishing rod. Other than fully custom rods I've had made (and even then, better than most) their balance is outastanding. Better than other Legend series rods I've had the chance to fish. Very strong sensitivity marks and loads up extremely well to throw small baits a mile with great accuracy. The grips are more attractive and comfortable in person.

Action is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN I EXPECTED. This is the reason I need to leave a review. The 7' Medium Fast action legend inshore Xtreme is SLOWER and SOFTER than any of the other 7' Medium (Avid or betteR) St. Croix inshore rods available. This took me completely by surprise as this rod has SCIV/V graphite, faster and theoretically stiffer than the Legend Inshore/Avid Inshore series. St. Croix clearly went out of their way to make this a softer rod, still a fast action but borderline moderate fast. Coming from F/XF action rods exclusively, these rods actually took some time on the water to get used to. A couple weeks in I've come to appreciate them for what they are, which is an elite level rod for anything with trebel hooks, live bait, or a delicate presentation.... but I wouldn't recommend them for bottom contact/jig work.

All in all I'd rank them a 9/10.... the same as my regular Legend Inshore. Which, by comparison, is much better at jig work and slightly less capable of anything requiring finesse.

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Winstondry » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:19 am

Congoman775 wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 am
Hey guys, thanks for the responses....

Let me give a short review of these sticks that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere, and would have been important to me had I not yet bought the rods.

First and foremost, you're getting an outstanding fishing rod. Other than fully custom rods I've had made (and even then, better than most) their balance is outastanding. Better than other Legend series rods I've had the chance to fish. Very strong sensitivity marks and loads up extremely well to throw small baits a mile with great accuracy. The grips are more attractive and comfortable in person.

Action is COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THAN I EXPECTED. This is the reason I need to leave a review. The 7' Medium Fast action legend inshore Xtreme is SLOWER and SOFTER than any of the other 7' Medium (Avid or betteR) St. Croix inshore rods available. This took me completely by surprise as this rod has SCIV/V graphite, faster and theoretically stiffer than the Legend Inshore/Avid Inshore series. St. Croix clearly went out of their way to make this a softer rod, still a fast action but borderline moderate fast. Coming from F/XF action rods exclusively, these rods actually took some time on the water to get used to. A couple weeks in I've come to appreciate them for what they are, which is an elite level rod for anything with trebel hooks, live bait, or a delicate presentation.... but I wouldn't recommend them for bottom contact/jig work.

All in all I'd rank them a 9/10.... the same as my regular Legend Inshore. Which, by comparison, is much better at jig work and slightly less capable of anything requiring finesse.
Thanks for the info and feedback. I've actually been trying to find more info on these rods the last few days as I'm thinking of one for a Van Staal VR50 for light saltwater duty here in SoCal.

Congoman775
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Congoman775 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:40 am

That's a heck of a reel! I'd think it would pair well with the M, or even better, the MH. If you wind up with that VR50 I'd love to hear your thoughts :D

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:19 am

How's the medium light? I see there's not a medium or medium light in the avid inshore lineup.