Making Conquests Lighter

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:58 am

Just wanted to provide some info on the weights that can be achieved with a few changes to these rods, and compare to NRX in the same models. Just received another Conquest 842c and 843c, and weighed them before any changes were made this time.

First thing I did was get rid of some of the excess weight in the handle by removing cork and making them split grip, which is a very simple process. I’ve honestly never held a Medium rod 7’ or under that felt tip heavy, so the added weight is not needed, and fishing jerkbaits, topwater and subsurface walking baits really fast all year, light weight combos are a must. These rods are already pretty light, but with that cork removed, these rods feel like nothing.

NRX 842-106.2g
NRX 843-109.4g

Conquest 842 full handle-102.8g
Conquest 842 split grip-92.5g

Conquest 843 full handle-110.7
Conquest 843 split grip-100.5

Next up was a guide swap. Conquest already have top of the line guides, but why are these companies still using such massive guides? Swapped all guides on NRXs to SIC with a double foot reverse stripper(size 6), 5.5 belly, to 5s the rest of the way, and it really woke that rod up. Been using those rods hard for several years now with no problems, so I decided to do the same on the Conquests. Wow is pretty much all I can say! Used Torzite on the Conquests even though I prefer SIC.

NRX 842 w/guide swap-102.1
NRX 843 w/guide swap-105.1
Conquest 843 split w/guide swap-96.7g
Conquest 842 w/guide swap-88.8g

That’s light!! With the reduction in weight in the tip, the rod floats in hand now and balance is better. Balance on the 842 is right in front of the reel on the fore grip, and 843 balances on the front edge of the fore grip.

Components are so imprtant to the way a rod feels and fishes, and I hope this provides a good example of it in action. Can definitely say now that Shimano/GLoomis wasn’t joking when they said these blanks are much lighter than NRX.

timinmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 272
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:23 am
Location: St. Louis, MO

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by timinmo » Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am

Very interesting post. As a builder I always try to make the lightest rod I can and that usually comes down to components. Your modifications point this out. You can't make a great rod out of a poor blank, but you can make a good blank absolutely come alive with a wise choice of components. Love the topic and your insight.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 pm

Wow! =D>

Can we see pics of this transformation?

I'm with you on the huge guides. For a long time, they were either way too big or just ridiculously small, sometimes on different rods in the same series. The Fuji small caliber or semi micros or whatever they're called are perfect.
Still waters run deep.

User avatar
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:44 pm
Location: Ashland, NE

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by Finnz922 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm

That is freaking awesome! i wouldn't have the stones to eff with modifying $500+ rods :OO .
IROD Pro Staff
Humminbird/Minn Kota Pro Staff

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 2:30 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 pm
Wow! =D>

Can we see pics of this transformation?


X2. I’m very interested. Give us a peak at these warlocks.

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm

Here’s a pic of the grips. Turned out perfect after a little sanding. Might wrap some thread up to the cork, but haven’t decided yet.
Image

Here’s a pic of the difference between factory Conquest guides and the new guides(NRX 843 with same guides used) Will get a pic when they come off the drier, but same guides with blue thread.
Image

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:18 pm

timinmo wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:12 am
Very interesting post. As a builder I always try to make the lightest rod I can and that usually comes down to components. Your modifications point this out. You can't make a great rod out of a poor blank, but you can make a good blank absolutely come alive with a wise choice of components. Love the topic and your insight.
I agree, it’s amazing what the right choice of components can do. The weight differences were shocking! After building several rods, the wheels really started to turn thinking about what can be done to some factory rods, especially rods that you already enjoy using, or really good blanks you can’t just buy.

Polkfish1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler
Posts: 386
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:58 pm

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:52 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:07 pm
Here’s a pic of the grips. Turned out perfect after a little sanding. Might wrap some thread up to the cork, but haven’t decided yet.
Image

Here’s a pic of the difference between factory Conquest guides and the new guides(NRX 843 with same guides used) Will get a pic when they come off the drier, but same guides with blue thread.
Image
Wow; that looks great in addition to the potential performance advantage. I’m really impressed. I’d love to do that to my 904. Unfortunately, my talents lie elsewhere. I will keep this in mind should I talk with the right local builder.

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 pm
Wow! =D>

Can we see pics of this transformation?

I'm with you on the huge guides. For a long time, they were either way too big or just ridiculously small, sometimes on different rods in the same series. The Fuji small caliber or semi micros or whatever they're called are perfect.
Big enough to pass a leader knot and small enough to weigh next to nothing is all we need. That 5 grams of weight removed from the tip of these rods is a lot!

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:16 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm
That is freaking awesome! i wouldn't have the stones to eff with modifying $500+ rods :OO .
:lol: That first cut is always :shock: I do try to make it idiot proof so I don’t mess anything up. Used a dull razor knife to cut between cork rings(no slicing) and the guides are always easy to remove once you do it a few times.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1734
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:34 pm
Location: NW OKC OK USA

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by poisonokie » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:55 pm
poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:58 pm
Wow! =D>

Can we see pics of this transformation?

I'm with you on the huge guides. For a long time, they were either way too big or just ridiculously small, sometimes on different rods in the same series. The Fuji small caliber or semi micros or whatever they're called are perfect.
Big enough to pass a leader knot and small enough to weigh next to nothing is all we need. That 5 grams of weight removed from the tip of these rods is a lot!
That's it! I bet you noticed an uptick in sensitivity with those smaller guides, too.
Still waters run deep.

bbates3
Angler
Angler
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:34 am

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by bbates3 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:02 pm

Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm
That is freaking awesome! i wouldn't have the stones to eff with modifying $500+ rods :OO .


Amazing job. Big stones

Sucks you can’t buy these blanks.

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:20 pm

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:52 pm


Wow; that looks great in addition to the potential performance advantage. I’m really impressed. I’d love to do that to my 904. Unfortunately, my talents lie elsewhere. I will keep this in mind should I talk with the right local builder.
Thanks. Cutting into these is not for everyone, and will say I wouldn’t have tried it for the first time. Any good builder should be able to do this pretty easily though. I’m sure a guide swap with some smaller double foot and runners would benefit the longer rods, but the full grip on those rods really helps the balance. If balance isn’t an issue, it will definitely lighten it up to remove some cork. I wish they offered both full/split option when you buy. They make E6x in both :lol:

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:33 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:30 pm


That's it! I bet you noticed an uptick in sensitivity with those smaller guides, too.
No doubt about it. Always loved this green 843 way more than my blue 843’s that were factory, and felt the green was noticeably more sensitive. Can’t wait to feel the increase in the Conquests.

JBcrankaddict
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Posts: 1547
Joined: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:59 am
Location: Pensacola, FL

Re: Making Conquests Lighter

Post by JBcrankaddict » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:37 pm

bbates3 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:02 pm
Finnz922 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 1:02 pm
That is freaking awesome! i wouldn't have the stones to eff with modifying $500+ rods :OO .


Amazing job. Big stones

Sucks you can’t buy these blanks.
:lol: Thanks! I agree, these blanks full custom would be incredible.

Post Reply