8ft. Rod for Fishing Flairhawks and Swimtails up to 4 oz.

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

8ft. Rod for Fishing Flairhawks and Swimtails up to 4 oz.

Post by Reverendo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:28 am

Looking for a higher end rod to buy or build that can handle the above. I'm considering a Rainshadow Immortal, perhaps Revelation blank, but haven't ruled out a factory build version either: Phenix, G Loomis, St. Croix, etc. Rod will be paired with a Calcutta Conquest 300 or 400, and should be sensitive, but also strong enough to fish strong currents and get good hook sets, etc.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: 8ft. Rod for Fishing Flairhawks and Swimtails up to 4 oz.

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:48 am

The MB Black Jungle Super Red Demon just might fit your needs. Its a very powerful rod that still has good sensitivity(though its only 7-6, not 8').
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:20 pm

Could only find that rod in Asia. Are you familiar with the Megabass Black Jack? Tackle Trap has the TS711X at 20% off...

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:21 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:20 pm
Could only find that rod in Asia. Are you familiar with the Megabass Black Jack? Tackle Trap has the TS711X at 20% off...
I wouldnt suggest a rod with a bunch of anodized aluminum bits and pieces if your fishing saltwater. Both of those rods have as much style as they do substance. Think more Mike Tyson, less Hector Macho Camacho...Both great fighters, two different approaches. I assume you will be using a decent size leader, probobly #40-#60 or more. If your running a long leader, your going to need a top guide of at least 6mm if not 8mm.

This a rod built for magnum sized Seabass (Snook Cousin), pretty cool with the spriral wrap guides. Zenaq will ship directly to the consumer in the US. This is a little on the lighter end of the lure rating
http://zenaq.com/sp/sp_ans_sop_index.html

This is Individual Developments (Studio Composite) newest rod and checks all the boxes. Very limited release, but they are available. (It's mandatory that you buy a big Studio Composite handle to put on you Calcutta if you get this rod)
(link is for reference only, I know where a couple are available)
https://www.backlash.co.jp/sp/item/4580467328542/
a little bit about the brand..(it does not show current models)
https://idcustom.jp/product/ftb-78/

Again, a little lighter on the lure rating than 4oz, but should be good for bottom contact baits. This has a bit more style, but it is designed for saltwater. Conquest would look dope on this rod.
https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... 030_2.html

Lastly, something a bit more budget friendly and built like tanks. A couple of options:
http://tulalajp.com/product/tulala/el_h ... 8%e3%81%8d

http://tulalajp.com/product/tulala/el_h ... rizonte-83

http://tulalajp.com/product/tulala/mons ... nstruo-710

Good luck!

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:21 pm
Reverendo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:20 pm
I wouldnt suggest a rod with a bunch of anodized aluminum bits and pieces if your fishing saltwater. Both of those rods have as much style as they do substance. Think more Mike Tyson, less Hector Macho Camacho...Both great fighters, two different approaches. I assume you will be using a decent size leader, probobly #40-#60 or more. If your running a long leader, your going to need a top guide of at least 6mm if not 8mm.

This a rod built for magnum sized Seabass (Snook Cousin), pretty cool with the spriral wrap guides. Zenaq will ship directly to the consumer in the US. This is a little on the lighter end of the lure rating
http://zenaq.com/sp/sp_ans_sop_index.html

This is Individual Developments (Studio Composite) newest rod and checks all the boxes. Very limited release, but they are available. (It's mandatory that you buy a big Studio Composite handle to put on you Calcutta if you get this rod)
(link is for reference only, I know where a couple are available)
https://www.backlash.co.jp/sp/item/4580467328542/
a little bit about the brand..(it does not show current models)
https://idcustom.jp/product/ftb-78/

Again, a little lighter on the lure rating than 4oz, but should be good for bottom contact baits. This has a bit more style, but it is designed for saltwater. Conquest would look dope on this rod.
https://www.evergreen-fishing.com/goods ... 030_2.html

Lastly, something a bit more budget friendly and built like tanks. A couple of options:
http://tulalajp.com/product/tulala/el_h ... 8%e3%81%8d

http://tulalajp.com/product/tulala/el_h ... rizonte-83

http://tulalajp.com/product/tulala/mons ... nstruo-710

Good luck!
Thanks Aguaftm...
Those look awesome. I like them all. Now I wish I could read Japanese. LOL
I could only get the Zenaq website to convert language to English. Is there any way around this? I'd like to read about blank materials, etc. Also I could not understand how some rods were rated for lures up to 24 ounces! Yikes! Did I read the correctly? Who in the world is casting 2 pound baits?

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 3:47 pm

Thanks Aguaftm...
Those look awesome. I like them all. Now I wish I could read Japanese. LOL
I could only get the Zenaq website to convert language to English. Is there any way around this? I'd like to read about blank materials, etc. Also I could not understand how some rods were rated for lures up to 24 ounces! Yikes! Did I read the correctly? Who in the world is casting 2 pound baits?

If your using Google Crome, there should be a tab in the right portion of the search bar to translate, if not you can right click on the page and translate should be an option.

I'm guessing you got the 24oz from the Individual Development reference page, that was just to give you a better picture of the brand. The rod I recommended from them is 1-7oz range and is in the link above the product page, it was just released. I have clue who would be throwing baby seal sized baits :D

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Ok that's better. I was using Safari, not Chrome.
That Tulala Monstruo 710 is nice and within my budget. I also like the Horizonte 80, though it seems a tad lighter. The Horizonte 83 seems very heavy (up to 10oz. baits). I'm not crazy about the spiral wrap though... and I'm trying to determine if they are 1 or 2 piece.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:15 pm
Ok that's better. I was using Safari, not Chrome.
That Tulala Monstruo 710 is nice and within my budget. I also like the Horizonte 80, though it seems a tad lighter. The Horizonte 83 seems very heavy (up to 10oz. baits). I'm not crazy about the spiral wrap though... and I'm trying to determine if they are 1 or 2 piece.
They all would be considered 2 piece rods, but not in the traditional sense. The Evergreen is a grip joint (blank slides into grip), all the others are considered a 1 1/2, meaning the joint is about a foot and 1/2 up from the grip. It's the norm for any non USDM rod that approaches 8ft. Even many of the USDM rods are going to grip joints, I don't think many US manufacturers have figured out how to do a 1.5 joint properly yet, maybe the surf rod guys..
The joints and subsquintly the reliablity and proper action would be of no concern to me for the rods I mentioned.

A good member here on TT took the plunge on some Tulala rods. Worth reading the thread..

https://www.tackletour.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=81375

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:19 pm

I'm not opposed to the 2 piece. I have a 3 popping rods: Yamaga Blanks, Black Hole and Ghost Hunter that are all 2 piece 70/30 with upper joining at the handle. It's a nice and strong connection unlike the 50/50 split of the past.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:13 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:19 pm
I'm not opposed to the 2 piece. I have a 3 popping rods: Yamaga Blanks, Black Hole and Ghost Hunter that are all 2 piece 70/30 with upper joining at the handle. It's a nice and strong connection unlike the 50/50 split of the past.
Nice..I've been looking at a Yamaga 7'3 TZ Nano to pair with my 2510 Exist, my only hesitation has been the 50/50 split. Your on the East Coast of FL I assume?
Sorry to offer you a bunch of super high end hard to get rods, it's a problem I have developed :shock: The brands you listed are all great.
But at the same time, for the sake of longevity in the salt, I would keep it simple. The ID is a good example, straight up Mike Tyson.
I've been trying to track down an Evergreen Avate Garde 7'8 Close Combat to pair with a Certate 4000 for my SW Fl Fishing snook and redfish endevours. Hard to find rod, even for me! Think I have a path, just need to save my pennies. On the SW Baitcast end of the spectrum, I think I have nailed down a ID Paradox 7603 to pair with my Daiwa Battler 1520, which will be good up to about 1.5 oz, but still be able to sling greenbacks. I primarily will throwing around mangroves, oysterbars, flats and off the beach.

Good luck man, let us know what you end up with!

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:24 am

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:13 pm
Reverendo wrote:
Nice..I've been looking at a Yamaga 7'3 TZ Nano to pair with my 2510 Exist, my only hesitation has been the 50/50 split. Your on the East Coast of FL I assume?
Sorry to offer you a bunch of super high end hard to get rods, it's a problem I have developed :shock: The brands you listed are all great.
But at the same time, for the sake of longevity in the salt, I would keep it simple. The ID is a good example, straight up Mike Tyson.
I've been trying to track down an Evergreen Avate Garde 7'8 Close Combat to pair with a Certate 4000 for my SW Fl Fishing snook and redfish endevours. Hard to find rod, even for me! Think I have a path, just need to save my pennies. On the SW Baitcast end of the spectrum, I think I have nailed down a ID Paradox 7603 to pair with my Daiwa Battler 1520, which will be good up to about 1.5 oz, but still be able to sling greenbacks. I primarily will throwing around mangroves, oysterbars, flats and off the beach.

Thanks for your input Aquaftm.
Yea my Yamaga is a 77/3 Blue Sniper, paired with a 4000 Saltiga. It's a light popping rod that also does well fishing the inlets here in South Florida. Though I haven't tangled with a large tarpon with it, it seems up to the task. I primarily fish the backcountry like Everglades Nat'l Park and such, so the rod I'm looking for won't get too much fish time, as I only head to the passes and inlets on the east coast occasionally. I do appreciate your advice on getting a SW worthy rod. I was not really considering that, and your comments on the nice, albeit unnecessary bling of some of the makers I was looking at was very helpful. I do like that 710 Monstruo and it is in the running for sure. The Zenaqs, Evergreens and Studio Marks are over my budget. I'll pick up my Calcutta Conquest first once Jun gets back to me on some questions between the 300 & 400 sizes, then make a final decision on the rod shortly after. Thanks again for your great advice. As a newly to the Japanese market, I appreciate you sharing your knowledge base. Peace.

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:05 pm

Aquaftm45 wrote:
Reverendo wrote:

BTW Aquaftm,
Do you know who has that Monstruo 710 in stock? I'm seeing one in stock at Asian Portal Fishing. I've never ordered from them before. Are they legit?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:34 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:05 pm
Aquaftm45 wrote:
Reverendo wrote:

BTW Aquaftm,
Do you know who has that Monstruo 710 in stock? I'm seeing one in stock at Asian Portal Fishing. I've never ordered from them before. Are they legit?
Yes; Asian portal has been a good seller in my experience. However, I’ve never bought a rod from them, so can’t speak to packaging/shipping of rods. I’ve never had issues with other tackle though. Almost pulled the trigger with rods with them and never gave safety of purchase a second thought. Perhaps others can chime in on how they ship

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:01 am

Yeah Asian Portal just notified me that they cannot ship rods that are longer than 5 feet through Japan post. So I’m stuck because it seems like they are the only one that has the Monstro 710 in stock. Any ideas?
How are you guys getting these rods shipped?

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:11 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:01 am
Yeah Asian Portal just notified me that they cannot ship rods that are longer than 5 feet through Japan post. So I’m stuck because it seems like they are the only one that has the Monstro 710 in stock. Any ideas?
How are you guys getting these rods shipped?
That's a bummer. I had been thinking that the rod inventory on Asian portal was easily accessible. In the case of the monstruo 74, I ended up having to snipe it. I had read about it for a long time and kept hoping it might come up somewhere with shipping, but my patience finally ran out. With the gargolye, which I thought would be harder to get, it miraculously showed up on a site that ships. The guys who sniped the monstruo rod for me charged me a really fair price since I've been a loyal customer of his on his site for years. What I'm saying is it can be less than you expect. What I've also done in the past is email certain guys to see if they can get something in stock that they don't have, if they carry the brand otherwise.

The tulala rods have been dope. No rod ratings and unique builds that seem to throw anything from a senko to a tire iron with a large sweet spot in between. This is only the second largish fish I've hooked into on the gargolye; have not had it long. Came out of the water with a white flag :D
Attachments
IMG_1003.jpg
IMG_1003.jpg (125.43 KiB) Viewed 6843 times
IMG_2280.jpg
IMG_2280.jpg (72.15 KiB) Viewed 6843 times