Any new additions to tatula elite rods at 2019 ICAST?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
jte54
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Any new additions to tatula elite rods at 2019 ICAST?

Post by jte54 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:46 am

I really thought there were gonna be some new models showing up. Does anyone know if there were?

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Any new additions to tatula elite rods at 2019 ICAST?

Post by _diggy_ » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

Daiwa Tatula Elite Randy Howell 7'2" Medium Heavy Rod with Randy Howell

Saw this today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv97dEz7UHo

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:08 pm

that rod has been out for while. ive been using it off and on for the past 6 months. pretty decent rod for rattle baits in grass and blades.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:58 am

hookfynn wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:08 pm
that rod has been out for while. ive been using it off and on for the past 6 months. pretty decent rod for rattle baits in grass and blades.
Is the action of that rod any different than the original tatula (tat721mhrb) or zillion (zil721mhrb). I notice the rod lure weight rating went up a little.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:05 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:58 am
hookfynn wrote:
Is the action of that rod any different than the original tatula (tat721mhrb) or zillion (zil721mhrb). I notice the rod lure weight rating went up a little.
i don't have the zillion version. however i do have the tatula elite and Steex xt version with the similar lure ratings and identical blank ratings. action wise, i believe they are about the same the more and more i think about it while typing this. very parabolic under load and similar tip action.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 pm

hookfynn wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:05 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
hookfynn wrote:
i don't have the zillion version. however i do have the tatula elite and Steex xt version with the similar lure ratings and identical blank ratings. action wise, i believe they are about the same the more and more i think about it while typing this. very parabolic under load and similar tip action.
It's funny you say that because Randy Howell says he got the action from a rod in the steez lineup. I have the zillion version but I ended up with this rod too since I found it for $104 new (actually ordered it, then found a brand new zillion and bought that one planning to cancel the tatula order but it was too late). I haven't fished it but I thought it felt different just holding it. Maybe a slightly softer tip? Idk it wasnt scientific just held them in my hands. I gotta finish working on my boat and then i'll know for sure.

hookfynn
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by hookfynn » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:59 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 pm
hookfynn wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:05 pm
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
hookfynn wrote:
It's funny you say that because Randy Howell says he got the action from a rod in the steez lineup. I have the zillion version but I ended up with this rod too since I found it for $104 new (actually ordered it, then found a brand new zillion and bought that one planning to cancel the tatula order but it was too late). I haven't fished it but I thought it felt different just holding it. Maybe a slightly softer tip? Idk it wasnt scientific just held them in my hands. I gotta finish working on my boat and then i'll know for sure.

definitely feels like a softer tip, yes. it loads up deep into the blank upon hookup, even on smaller fish. i got it for spinnerbaits but i'm not liking it much for blades over 3/8's oz lol. seems very under powered on a 1/2oz spinnerbait or spinnerbait with larger blades. it'll probably be my top water, trap/lv500, bigger underspin rod now. i can also say it doesn't seem to be as sensitive as my steez xt. its a regular bend blank. so i don't see it being to overly sensitive. that being said, the steez xt its highly sensitive even with a identical blank rating.

if you're looking for something in that larger bait category like i was and are a fan of the tatula elite line up, try the 7'4" howell rod. my new go to for larger blades and bigger topwaters and such. i have 2 of them i like them so much! you just have to deal with the shorter handle but it its clutch walker bigger topwaters and pitching blades around cover. also really good for a double fluke rig!

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:05 am

those 7'2 mh rods have the same lure & line rating as the old steez flexlites. i have 1 of those rods. it's a fairly stiff rod in the original steez lineup.

most crank or moving bait rods tend to be lighter in power than fast action rods to me. seems like a mh crank rod and a m fast rod seem to be similar. although the steez has a little more tip, it really feels like a mh to me. i've been looking either a 7' m flexlite or xt.