G.Loomis/Shimano Swimbait Rod/Reel/Line Advice Please

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

G.Loomis/Shimano Swimbait Rod/Reel/Line Advice Please

Post by MTBF » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 am

Morning guys!

Recently and for all of this past winter I've been learning about bigger swimbait's and how I can use those tools in my largemouth fishing here in Ontario. I never finesse fish or even own spinning gear, when the bites tough or when covering water ill throw the frog, soft swimbaits in smaller sizes and a swim jig often. Smallies I'm a hardbait guy with cranks, jerk's, bladed baits and topwaters. Our lakes are great in Ontario and there's no need to downsize to the fairy wands for big largemouth when it's obvious that pitching and flipping heavy cover, docks, wood and deep weed produces fish day in and day out and BIG fish winning tournaments every year. For me when that bite is slow or flat water heat wave/cold front conditions take over and after I've downsized jig's, trailers, perhaps go heavier/lighter in jig weight or tungsten..those are the adjustments I make to stay on bigger bites and to always avoid the skunk. Once in awhile I catch only a couple fish but there good fish and having patience and confidence even after 45minutes without a bite is tough but a must.

So now comes into my plan next month to fish a couple bigger baits. I have rock wall banks, steep tapering drops and deep water close by. In this spots I saw suspending bluegill sunning theirselves as I flipped these same shorelines fishing grass, wood lay downs etc. My bait of choice here would be the Jackall Gantarel Junior. Matches the fish good and my idea is to make 2-3 casts down these banks in attempt to draw out/catch a big fish. I can catch them flipping but I want to see if this works in that scenario.

Next for windy days, low light conditions and maybe rain, I bought a couple of the Megabass Big M 4.0 Magnum crank baits. This bait I want to toss more along the outside edge of deep weed lines. Perhaps steep completely vertical rock wall's that plummet into 20-60 FOW.

Finally for fishing in sunny conditions nice weather, weedlines from 7-16 FOW main lake points anywhere I can fish this over the top of the weeds or long long steady slow cranking on main lake structures like rock humps, the walls, points etc. Megabass Mag Slowl 9" is my 3rd tool. I'll be fishing all 3 of these bait's on 1 rod for 2 weeks next month so will be learning the in's and out's of Swimbait/Big Bait fishing. Season to season I'm able to catch numbers of quality 4-5lb fish and always 1 or 2 fish in the low to mid 5lb range. My goal is to catch a extra 5lbr or two or better yet a 6-8lb class trophy.

Currently I have a Shimano TranX 200HG on a Shimano Compre "Musky" 7'6 MH rated to 2oz. It's stiffer than my GLX954 Heavy flipping stick but has some flex to load and shoot. The line is straight Sunline 25lb Assassin FC Fluorocarbon. I'm leaning towards the IMX-PRO 966 SWBR 8' Heavy 3-6oz rod. Possibly it's little brother for the Big M 4.0 if it catches fish. One setup needs to be fairly accurate for target casting the Gantarel Junior, the other setup more long bomb with the 9" bait. My eyes are on slower gear ratio reels like the Calcutta Conquest 300's.

All advice from avid swimbait anglers are welcomed. I want some true on the water experience here not just looking to get gold reels and fancy rods in this case. Best gear for the job!

Tightlines guys!

MTBF

Edit* I see there is a E6X 865C SWBR option to...I'm a fan of Expride also on the Shimano side but no way the 9' rods. Maybe the 7'7H or 7'11XH
mtfishing IG

floriduhfish
Angler
Angler

Re: G.Loomis/Shimano Swimbait Rod/Reel/Line Advice Please

Post by floriduhfish » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:05 am

Last edited by floriduhfish on Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm

MTBF wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:35 am
Morning guys!

Recently and for all of this past winter I've been learning about bigger swimbait's and how I can use those tools in my largemouth fishing here in Ontario. I never finesse fish or even own spinning gear, when the bites tough or when covering water ill throw the frog, soft swimbaits in smaller sizes and a swim jig often. Smallies I'm a hardbait guy with cranks, jerk's, bladed baits and topwaters. Our lakes are great in Ontario and there's no need to downsize to the fairy wands for big largemouth when it's obvious that pitching and flipping heavy cover, docks, wood and deep weed produces fish day in and day out and BIG fish winning tournaments every year. For me when that bite is slow or flat water heat wave/cold front conditions take over and after I've downsized jig's, trailers, perhaps go heavier/lighter in jig weight or tungsten..those are the adjustments I make to stay on bigger bites and to always avoid the skunk. Once in awhile I catch only a couple fish but there good fish and having patience and confidence even after 45minutes without a bite is tough but a must.

So now comes into my plan next month to fish a couple bigger baits. I have rock wall banks, steep tapering drops and deep water close by. In this spots I saw suspending bluegill sunning theirselves as I flipped these same shorelines fishing grass, wood lay downs etc. My bait of choice here would be the Jackall Gantarel Junior. Matches the fish good and my idea is to make 2-3 casts down these banks in attempt to draw out/catch a big fish. I can catch them flipping but I want to see if this works in that scenario.

Next for windy days, low light conditions and maybe rain, I bought a couple of the Megabass Big M 4.0 Magnum crank baits. This bait I want to toss more along the outside edge of deep weed lines. Perhaps steep completely vertical rock wall's that plummet into 20-60 FOW.

Finally for fishing in sunny conditions nice weather, weedlines from 7-16 FOW main lake points anywhere I can fish this over the top of the weeds or long long steady slow cranking on main lake structures like rock humps, the walls, points etc. Megabass Mag Slowl 9" is my 3rd tool. I'll be fishing all 3 of these bait's on 1 rod for 2 weeks next month so will be learning the in's and out's of Swimbait/Big Bait fishing. Season to season I'm able to catch numbers of quality 4-5lb fish and always 1 or 2 fish in the low to mid 5lb range. My goal is to catch a extra 5lbr or two or better yet a 6-8lb class trophy.

Currently I have a Shimano TranX 200HG on a Shimano Compre "Musky" 7'6 MH rated to 2oz. It's stiffer than my GLX954 Heavy flipping stick but has some flex to load and shoot. The line is straight Sunline 25lb Assassin FC Fluorocarbon. I'm leaning towards the IMX-PRO 966 SWBR 8' Heavy 3-6oz rod. Possibly it's little brother for the Big M 4.0 if it catches fish. One setup needs to be fairly accurate for target casting the Gantarel Junior, the other setup more long bomb with the 9" bait. My eyes are on slower gear ratio reels like the Calcutta Conquest 300's.

All advice from avid swimbait anglers are welcomed. I want some true on the water experience here not just looking to get gold reels and fancy rods in this case. Best gear for the job!

Tightlines guys!

MTBF

Edit* I see there is a E6X 865C SWBR option to...I'm a fan of Expride also on the Shimano side but no way the 9' rods. Maybe the 7'7H or 7'11XH

I’ve only taken up throwing the type of baits you show (nice collection!) for the past 2.5 years or so as a regular thing. It’s been fun. I have nothing out of the box really to suggest. Based on reading I have settled on regular fast action up rods in heavy and extra heavy. My long bomb rod was a 7.6, but now I have found one that casts much better in a 7.4 (better action, less of a broomstick). My shorter more accurate current swimbait outfit is in 6.9. One has a zillion in 7.3 and the other a zillion in 7.9. I use big game exclusively in 16 to 20. It’s relatively inexpensive so I check the line after every outing and re spool without hesitations. I have never casted off a lure with the mono, while I did make that mistake with braid. I’ve reeled in small gators with the big game.

Backlashed
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Backlashed » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:13 am

I've just taken it up also. I tend to listen to the Tactical Bassin guys on swimbaits. So for line, I run braid (65 lb) to leader (20-25 lb).
For lures, Osprey (I believe it's 8") Magdraft, 1.5 oz. Scrounger with a Jenko or Scottboro. That scrounger looks awesome in the water. But it takes some tuning. Magdraft would be my next favorite. Rolls and pitches nicely.
I run that on a Tranx and Megabass Mark 48. Love that setup. As soon as I catch any numbers at all, I fish this bait a lot looking for a big bite.
For Glides, I use straight braid. Kistler MOD rod. Lew's super duty (or Curado DC). I throw the Gancraft Zepro Waking Glide (no fish yet, but I can't wait, those waking baits look awesome) and the 148 mainly.
Lost the biggest fish of my life at the boat, so it works. Just have to be patient. I'm a rookie with this, but I seem to have better luck when I spray them with a fish attractant like BANG or something.

Good351
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Good351 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:35 am

Great collection there MTBF! I gotta get some of those Big M 4.0's!!!

I'm kinda in the same boat you are.. Transitioning to throwing bigger baits more regularly and not so much finesse. I just moved from Iowa to St Paul, MN, so fishing northern MN lakes as well as a trip to Ontario once in a while :) I'm planning to use bigger bass hard baits as well as a few smaller muskie baits..looking for the big bass, walleye, and pike/muskie bite.

My current setups:
MB White Python with a Daiwa Z2020 to throw hardbaits in the 1-3oz range.
MB X4 Destruction with a Ize Light for 5" paddle tails w/ 1/2oz head.

As I get more bigger baits I plan to get a St Croix Legend Elite Muskie 8'6" MH paired with a Tranx 301. I was playing with this setup in the store and it just felt so great together!! And even though this was a "Muskie Rod", the tip still felt light and crisp. Not broom stick like a lot of muskie rods. I plan to throw MS Slammers, Toxic Wake n Crank, Bull shad 4x4, Storm FlatStick.. etc.. Probably get into some bigger paddle tails as well.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:19 am

Polkfish1 wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:47 pm
I’ve only taken up throwing the type of baits you show (nice collection!) for the past 2.5 years or so as a regular thing. It’s been fun. I have nothing out of the box really to suggest. Based on reading I have settled on regular fast action up rods in heavy and extra heavy. My long bomb rod was a 7.6, but now I have found one that casts much better in a 7.4 (better action, less of a broomstick). My shorter more accurate current swimbait outfit is in 6.9. One has a zillion in 7.3 and the other a zillion in 7.9. I use big game exclusively in 16 to 20. It’s relatively inexpensive so I check the line after every outing and re spool without hesitations. I have never casted off a lure with the mono, while I did make that mistake with braid. I’ve reeled in small gators with the big game.
Thanks for the info! The Big Game I'm worried about based on water clarity I'm working with 6-8' visibility on one lake and 8-10' visibility on another, fairly clear water. Going to take my first couple casts pretty easy I spooled Sunline Assassin FC 25lb Fluoro just hope it holds up. Debating on stripping and going braid to a 24" leader of 25lb Saguaro Leader Material :?
Good351 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:35 am
Great collection there MTBF! I gotta get some of those Big M 4.0's!!!

I'm kinda in the same boat you are.. Transitioning to throwing bigger baits more regularly and not so much finesse. I just moved from Iowa to St Paul, MN, so fishing northern MN lakes as well as a trip to Ontario once in a while :) I'm planning to use bigger bass hard baits as well as a few smaller muskie baits..looking for the big bass, walleye, and pike/muskie bite.

My current setups:
MB White Python with a Daiwa Z2020 to throw hardbaits in the 1-3oz range.
MB X4 Destruction with a Ize Light for 5" paddle tails w/ 1/2oz head.

As I get more bigger baits I plan to get a St Croix Legend Elite Muskie 8'6" MH paired with a Tranx 301. I was playing with this setup in the store and it just felt so great together!! And even though this was a "Muskie Rod", the tip still felt light and crisp. Not broom stick like a lot of muskie rods. I plan to throw MS Slammers, Toxic Wake n Crank, Bull shad 4x4, Storm FlatStick.. etc.. Probably get into some bigger paddle tails as well.
The 4.0's I can't wait to run on some choppy days, mornings etc cool lure for sure! So far I'm liking my shift to a Calcutta Conquest 300 and a 8' 966 IMX but time will tell.
Backlashed wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:13 am
I've just taken it up also. I tend to listen to the Tactical Bassin guys on swimbaits. So for line, I run braid (65 lb) to leader (20-25 lb).
For lures, Osprey (I believe it's 8") Magdraft, 1.5 oz. Scrounger with a Jenko or Scottboro. That scrounger looks awesome in the water. But it takes some tuning. Magdraft would be my next favorite. Rolls and pitches nicely.
I run that on a Tranx and Megabass Mark 48. Love that setup. As soon as I catch any numbers at all, I fish this bait a lot looking for a big bite.
For Glides, I use straight braid. Kistler MOD rod. Lew's super duty (or Curado DC). I throw the Gancraft Zepro Waking Glide (no fish yet, but I can't wait, those waking baits look awesome) and the 148 mainly.
Lost the biggest fish of my life at the boat, so it works. Just have to be patient. I'm a rookie with this, but I seem to have better luck when I spray them with a fish attractant like BANG or something.
I'm tempted to go to his braid to fluoro method but I hate that big knot in the line. Well see if i feel under sunned with the straight fluoro and 9" MagSlowl ill make the adjustment.
mtfishing IG

jdbassman32
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by jdbassman32 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:40 am

I've been using the Conquest 905 for swimbaits and Alabama Rigs and love it. The rod can handle baits up to 3 ounces.

Edward78
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Edward78 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:03 am

For an affordable nice option I went with the Powell Endurance Casting Rod 7'6" Mag Medium Heavy, is rated to 3oz and have thrown 2.5oz baits on it. I have a Shimano Cardiff 301 spooled with 20lb SunLine Assassin on it. The whole big swimbait game in new to me and didn’t want to spend to much on my first set up. With rod reel and line I got $250 in this and love it.

Polkfish1
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Polkfish1 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:05 am

Edward78 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:03 am
For an affordable nice option I went with the Powell Endurance Casting Rod 7'6" Mag Medium Heavy, is rated to 3oz and have thrown 2.5oz baits on it. I have a Shimano Cardiff 301 spooled with 20lb SunLine Assassin on it. The whole big swimbait game in new to me and didn’t want to spend to much on my first set up. With rod reel and line I got $250 in this and love it.
This was exactly my route. I had never thrown baits the size of a transmission before, so when I started 2-3 years ago, I just bought a cheap okuma that fit the bill length, taper, and power. I used it to get used to the big baits, plus I learned what to expect in terms of when and where I got bit; the whole process. After I became comfortable, I appropriated an older model z bone I had originally used as a flippin/punching rod and slowly other rods, depending on bait size. And finally after I realized this is something I enjoyed and had some success with, I just recently got dedicated rods that are more enthusiast level for this purpose; the okuma gifted to a nice kid that could use another stick.

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:33 am

How much are you looking to spend? That'll determine a lot.
I never used the gloomis rods so can't say much. Just look for something in the moderate fast action. Also lure ratings. Some people throw 2oz baits on a rod lure max at 2oz and have no problems. I don't want to take any chances on anything breaking. I spend enough on tackle already. If your just trying to throw those specific baits I would go with a rod maxed at 3 to 4oz. But bigbait fishing gets addictive. The bites feel SOOO good. So you might end up trying to throw bigger and heavier big baits. Then you'll need another rod. Your reel is fine. You can always slow down your retrieve if you have to. I personally prefer a 5 or 6 gear ratio. But I've used a 7 gear and had no problems getting bit and landing fish so...the conquest is a sick reel. I want the 201 dc conquest. But I'm alright using my blackjungle and lin origin.
Line I use 65lb braid to 20lb fc leader. Personally I hate mono that's just me. Those baits like the big m4 and gantarel jr. 65lb braid to 20 lb fc leader will work fine. Or you could just go straight 20lb fc or mono. Your choice there. I would just get the right pound line and a good brand one. The last thing you want is to have the line break cause.....it's cheap or whatever. I personally use suffix for the braid and sunline fc sniper for my fc. But I'm going to switch to seaguar r18 fc. Cost more but I think it's better.
There's a lot more info to give but for those specific baits your trying to throw this should be good. Hope this info was helful. Good luck and I'm positive you'll break your pb.

Welikan
Angler
Angler

Post by Welikan » Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:35 am

Also forgot to mention snaps! Use them. They help out so much!
Helps the action and you can change out baits quickly without having to retie all the time. I use owners and decoy eggsnaps.