Swimbait Rod VS. Musky Rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Swimbait Rod VS. Musky Rod?

Post by Reverendo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:34 am

In my quest for that perfect 8ft. rod to launch 1-4 oz. baits, a member here suggested I look at some musky rods also. I never considered that, but after looking at some I'm considering their potential. For those of you in the know, what are some basic differences between a swimbait and musky rod?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Swimbait Rod VS. Musky Rod?

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 am

Have you looked at the Megabass T.S. 711 Black Jack? Its rated from 1/2 to 4 oz, has a long handle for two handed casting big baits, and I've fished 3 oz baits on the rod and it has power to spare. As far as the differences between musky and swim bait rods, much like the T.S. series, the musky rods I've seen and used are heavy duty builds designed to handle the strain of big lures and big fish. They usually have double footed guides and don't skimp on blank materials either :lol:
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Reverendo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Reverendo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:11 am

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:46 am
Have you looked at the Megabass T.S. 711 Black Jack? Its rated from 1/2 to 4 oz, has a long handle for two handed casting big baits, and I've fished 3 oz baits on the rod and it has power to spare. As far as the differences between musky and swim bait rods, much like the T.S. series, the musky rods I've seen and used are heavy duty builds designed to handle the strain of big lures and big fish. They usually have double footed guides and don't skimp on blank materials either :lol:
Yes I've been looking at that rod over @TT. Looks nice indeed.
One caveat is that this rod will be used in the salt for bigger snook, mid sized tarpon and such... It'll be fished in inlets and bridges, with fast current at times, so it needs to reach out there and touch them, as well a get a good hookset at longer ranges...

MKMRH
Angler
Angler

Post by MKMRH » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:13 am

You actually have to consider the hooks on the baits you will be using as well when you compare the rods. Musky rods can launch a bass swimbait but the rods are much stiffer and have more power. The hooks on swimbaits for bass are smaller and finer than what you find on musky baits. Much easier to tear the hooks right out of the mouth of a fish when using a bass swimbait with a musky rod. Conversely, using a bass swimbait rod with a musky bait will work, but I find the power lacking in those rods to drive home the hookset with the type of hooks typically used on a musky bait.

If you are also considering a rod for snook and mid sized tarpon I would still lean towards the bass swimbait rods because of the hooks. If you are looking for a happy medium maybe check out some the rods used for stripers in north east.

basser100
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by basser100 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:06 am

Some musky rods are way too stiff for swimbaits. I have had better luck using inshore rods.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Reverendo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:11 am
Yes I've been looking at that rod over @TT. Looks nice indeed.
One caveat is that this rod will be used in the salt for bigger snook, mid sized tarpon and such... It'll be fished in inlets and bridges, with fast current at times, so it needs to reach out there and touch them, as well a get a good hookset at longer ranges...
Understood. It sounds like an excellent option then. Best of luck on your search regardless!
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap