Looking for a Frogging Rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Looking for a Frogging Rod

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:09 am

I know that TACTBASS suggest the expride heavy but after the experience I had with the “recommended” jerkbait rod of the expride line up I’m a bit MORE cautious.
Hence I’m thinking the poison adrena 7’2” heavy rod should be the ticket but it’s out til whenever. Sure I have a rod that I currently own which can cover down but I’m looking for something else. I didn’t know until yesterday that the new Adrenas only have a one year warranty but it’s not a deterrent for me.

My question is what’s your secondary frog rod
And what reel do you have paired with it ?

While we are talking frogs I can’t wait for the 13 line up of frogs to come out. My absolute favorite frog is the Jackall gavocho.
If you want to save money and not have a laundry bag of frogs I suggest the JG. It’s the easiest frog to do anything with and it doesn’t need to be modified post purchase. IMHO
It IS the beat frog on the market to date.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bwjay
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Looking for a Frogging Rod

Post by bwjay » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 am

I use a Kistler Helium3 7'HXF. It has just enough backbone but is probably not heavy enough for all types of cover. It weighs 4oz on the nose and is easy to use for long periods (unlike my St. Croix Premier 7'MHF which wore my wrist out, weighing 5.4oz). I use my Bantam for frogging since it's got a lot of power and is nice and smooth, but a lighter reel might work better for long frogging sessions. That being said, the Helium3 is a little tip heavy even with the Bantam on it, so a lighter reel only unbalances it even more. Overall though the Helium3+Bantam setup is a joy to use.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:34 am

bwjay wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:27 am
I use a Kistler Helium3 7'HXF. It has just enough backbone but is probably not heavy enough for all types of cover. It weighs 4oz on the nose and is easy to use for long periods (unlike my St. Croix Premier 7'MHF which wore my wrist out, weighing 5.4oz). I use my Bantam for frogging since it's got a lot of power and is nice and smooth, but a lighter reel might work better for long frogging sessions. That being said, the Helium3 is a little tip heavy even with the Bantam on it, so a lighter reel only unbalances it even more. Overall though the Helium3+Bantam setup is a joy to use.
I have the 7” something inch that I have with a D7
And that may be the ticket. I was using a 100MG7 on the XBD
BUT for me the D7 balances better on my Kistlers
I got a Zbone I forgot about until you mentioned Kistler
Thanks for the feedback. I’m gonna goto the rod rack.
I’ll just remind the wife of a (fictional) sale at any store far enough from the house.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

CGrinder
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by CGrinder » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:08 pm

I'm frogging with a 7'2 H Zodias at the moment. Based on the performance of that rod, I would not hesitate to buy an Expride or Adrena if I felt the actions would be similar.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:43 pm

I have the 72H and 73XH in the expride. depends on the cover and not the weight of the frog imo. The thick reeds and pads the 73XH expride has all the balls you need.

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 pm

The Megabass XXX Mat Bucker and Destruction are both nice frog rods that aren't budget busters. They'll be back in stock next week... Both of them pair really nicely with either a Tatula SV TW or a Zillion SV TW. I really enjoy the Tatula SV TW, but for distance, I prefer the Zillion SV TW.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

_diggy_
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by _diggy_ » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:14 pm

I bought an iRod 754 Fred's Magic Stick for frogging. It does its job and more.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:58 am

First hand use the IMX-PRO 885C TWFR is a dreamy frog rod. I'm using the 5/8oz Snag Proof Frog's but they cast out way to far. Lot's of distance the rod despite it's Mag-Heavy rating is the perfect Frog Rod. I've searched for years fishing a Cumara 7'4H, NRX 7'5XH, Expride 7'2H Frog, the IMX-PRO 885 TWFR is my favourite. If your not a matted slop frogger than the Heavy 884C will work fine. I have 2 of the 884 blanks for swim jig's and swimbait's in heavy cover.
mtfishing IG

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:55 am

All great suggestions.. Thanks.
I have not even heard of the IMX-Pro 885 TWFR
I had and old IMX 844 , two of them actually and sold them for one Megabass Faust.
But I remember the 844's and I like them, regret selling them especially since I already had one Faust.

MTBF
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MTBF » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:44 am

goldrod wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:55 am
All great suggestions.. Thanks.
I have not even heard of the IMX-Pro 885 TWFR
I had and old IMX 844 , two of them actually and sold them for one Megabass Faust.
But I remember the 844's and I like them, regret selling them especially since I already had one Faust.
844 vs the 885/884 are completely different beasts. The 7'4" length gives you the longest casts theres 2-4" of soft tip to work the frog properly than 7' of shear power! Even after owing the 7'3XH,7'2H,7'1H Expride's the longer Cumara and NRX back in the day that 7'4 is a perfect length. Find one on sale you won't be disappointed! Jarred Lintner and the man from Guntersville Alex Davis I believe worked on these actions and rods specifically. That's what the TW videos said :lol:
mtfishing IG

DChiWildcats
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by DChiWildcats » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:25 pm

Been using the 884 IMX Pro. Really like it, very solid frog rod. I definitely recommend it.

shotdrop
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by shotdrop » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 pm
The Megabass XXX Mat Bucker and Destruction are both nice frog rods that aren't budget busters. They'll be back in stock next week... Both of them pair really nicely with either a Tatula SV TW or a Zillion SV TW. I really enjoy the Tatula SV TW, but for distance, I prefer the Zillion SV TW.
Would you recommend the XXX Destruction 70 for owner beast hook rigged swimbaits? Does the regular taper have enough hookset power to penetrate?

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:33 am

shotdrop wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 pm
bronzefly wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:21 pm
Would you recommend the XXX Destruction 70 for owner beast hook rigged swimbaits? Does the regular taper have enough hookset power to penetrate?
Absolutely no problem, especially fishing with braid.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:44 am

I love the 1st gen Orochi XX Perfect Pitch for frogs. May have already been mentioned here but the tip is excellent and there’s plenty of power to spare to drive hooks home and horse quality fish to the boat, kayak, or bank.
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush