Megabass Python Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass Python Rods

Post by goldrod » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 am

I see that there’s an 8’1” rod and 7’6” rod but I could be mistaken about just them two. Seems like the both do the same thing and the shorter of the two is essentially a two piece rod
Anyone using these rods and what are they best at ?
I think one is no longer made but could be possibly found in Japan ?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Python Rods

Post by bronzefly » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 am
I see that there’s an 8’1” rod and 7’6” rod but I could be mistaken about just them two. Seems like the both do the same thing and the shorter of the two is essentially a two piece rod
The 8'1" was a Black Python in the X4 line - it is a telescoping rod. It's very different from any of the multiple versions of the White Python. The newest WP is a 2019 release from the Evoluzion series and is spectacular. I have had the original one piece slant bridge for a long time and it's really a beautiful rod, but its not nearly as sensitive as the newest version.
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:55 am

I have the 2018 White Python with a Calcutta Conquest 200, and I love it. I use it for mid-sized paddletails (6" MagDrafts, MagDraft Freestyles, 6.8" Keitech Swing Impacts, etc.) and mid-sized glidebaits (Deps Slide Swimmer 175 and Megabass I-Slide 185s). Fantastic rod, very sensitive.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:42 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:54 am
goldrod wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:38 am
The 8'1" was a Black Python in the X4 line - it is a telescoping rod. It's very different from any of the multiple versions of the White Python. The newest WP is a 2019 release from the Evoluzion series and is spectacular. I have had the original one piece slant bridge for a long time and it's really a beautiful rod, but its not nearly as sensitive as the newest version.
So does that mean your going to get rid of the one piece slant :whistle: :whistle:
I am all over the place it may seem but there is a method to this madness.
I am looking to get a new rod but seems like the WP ( new version ) is a swim bait rod?
I don't throw magdrafts but I can only imagine the bite when you do get hooked up.. Other than swimbaits what else is it good at?
Gary you didn't go into much detail and maybe I am missing the obvious..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

bronzefly
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by bronzefly » Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:54 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:42 pm
So does that mean your going to get rid of the one piece slant :whistle: :whistle:
I am all over the place it may seem but there is a method to this madness.
I am looking to get a new rod but seems like the WP ( new version ) is a swim bait rod?
I don't throw magdrafts but I can only imagine the bite when you do get hooked up.. Other than swimbaits what else is it good at?
Gary you didn't go into much detail and maybe I am missing the obvious..
No, the SB WP is a permanent fixture in my collection regardless of how much use it may or may not get :D

The new 2019 Evoluzion White Python is far more than a swim bait rod. I was talking with a customer who has been using his as a bottom contact rod - larger jigs, Texas rigs, C-rigs - and he was very impressed with the sensitivity. It can of course handle swim baits, frogs, mag cranks, etc...
www.tackletrap.com
facebook.com/tackletrap

Tokugawa
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Tokugawa » Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 am

I have a WP slant bridge and the WP 2. While legendary for mag topwater and swimbaits, they also excel at big spinnerbaits, cranks of all depths (one of my faves for a 3/4oz squarebill), swim jigs and chatterbaits. If it moves horizontally and is 1/2 oz or over, a WP will work.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:06 pm

Tokugawa wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:11 am
I have a WP slant bridge and the WP 2. While legendary for mag topwater and swimbaits, they also excel at big spinnerbaits, cranks of all depths (one of my faves for a 3/4oz squarebill), swim jigs and chatterbaits. If it moves horizontally and is 1/2 oz or over, a WP will work.
Yelp!