No love for the newer Megabass Tomahawks?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
evilcatfish
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

No love for the newer Megabass Tomahawks?

Post by evilcatfish » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:26 am

So I've been thinking about grabbing a f4-71t but there isn't a lot of info about it out there. Are the newer tomahawks not as well regarded as the the old gta and gtz rods? Just seems like the current series doesn't have a lot of hype behind it, though I love glass and the full grip. If don't go with the tomahawk I'll probably pick up an otomat

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: No love for the newer Megabass Tomahawks?

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:44 pm

I am like you. I have thought about the same rod. I have always wanted a GT3. For me $400 is a fair amount for a rod. The GTZ used zylon in the construction. Zylon was used in the construction of deep sea rods. It is tough, but it is heavy. Bass Pro had a series of bass rods made of zylon long before MB used it. The were heavy rods. I wouldn't want to throw all day with one. It has always bothered me that MB never lists the weight of their rods. The GT3 Shiryu was a really pretty rod. MB said that the rod used linear glass for smoothness. At the time no one else used straight linear glass construction to my knowledge. But now St. Croix is doing it in their legend glass rods at around $260. It doesn't have ti sic guides, but I don't feel you loose much not havig them. Plus if you look at the cost of the new Tomahawk price in Japan, it is almost $100 less.
Crankbaitmaker

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:14 pm

Crankbaitmaker wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:44 pm
I am like you. I have thought about the same rod. I have always wanted a GT3. For me $400 is a fair amount for a rod. The GTZ used zylon in the construction. Zylon was used in the construction of deep sea rods. It is tough, but it is heavy. Bass Pro had a series of bass rods made of zylon long before MB used it. The were heavy rods. I wouldn't want to throw all day with one. It has always bothered me that MB never lists the weight of their rods. The GT3 Shiryu was a really pretty rod. MB said that the rod used linear glass for smoothness. At the time no one else used straight linear glass construction to my knowledge. But now St. Croix is doing it in their legend glass rods at around $260. It doesn't have ti sic guides, but I don't feel you loose much not havig them. Plus if you look at the cost of the new Tomahawk price in Japan, it is almost $100 less.
Crankbaitmaker
The weight of the rod compared to the St. Croix offering would help. I hope when they arrive Gary would put that information out. The caveat is if you don’t pre-order one you may not be able to get one. TTT has always been good at letting us know more about the rods once they get them in hand
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:53 pm

I think $400 for a crankbait rod is a tough sell for many people. I have no problem paying this or more for jig, finesse, b/c... rods, but I think there are a lot of really good crankbait/top water rods available for $200-$300. I'm not suggesting it isn't a great rod, I have a Gen 1 XX Launcher and a Flatside Special and I really like them and St Croix and Dobyns make great crankbait rods too in the $200-$300 range.

Again, I haven't fished the rod and I'm not suggesting it isn't worth it, but it may be why you haven't heard more people talking about it.