Nrx/conquest finesse rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Nrx/conquest finesse rod

Post by Drakestar » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:55 pm

I don’t think they adjust the ratings, or need to. I’ve thrown 1/2oz DS weights on the DSR and it can do it. I didn’t feel comfortable doing it, though, and cast rather gingerly cause that would be an expensive broken tip.

But many people fish with these heavy DS weights up to 3/8, and it makes sense that Loomis would support up to 1/2oz on their DSR. (My personal go-to on that rod is only 1/8, I got a different rod rated up to 3/4oz for the heavier weights, but to each their own.)

If the SYR has a harder tip than the DSR those lure ratings make sense; harder tips that shut down faster support less lure weight. Softer tips are more forgiving on the cast and support more weight. So we’d expect the DSR to support a higher lure weight.

Agreed that the DSR is a one-trick pony, btw. But man, what a brilliant one-trick pony it is!

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:19 am

karirick wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:57 am
Bubbleboy wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:11 am
I have both the Conquest 842s and 842c. LOVE both of these. Use the spinning for weightless senkos, Ned rigs and will, but don’t like it, drop shot. The casting is used for jerkbaits, tubes, light Texas rigs and small crank baits.

The 842s has slightly more power than an NRX 822 syr. Given the NRX 822 dsr is even softer, you might think the Conquest is too stout...although I make it work. You could look at the Conquest 782 as both spinning an casting are very whippy, and may be more suited towards drop shot, if you think the 6’ 6” is long enough.
Bumping this. So you are saying the 822 DSR is softer than the 822 SYR in NRX?

I got my first NRX's Friday and am blown away!! The 822 DSR weighs 3.35oz; I truly cannot believe that.

I also got the 802S which weighs 3.6 oz and is a little stiffer than I had hoped for.

Thinking the 822 SYR would be softer than the 822 DSR as it is rated for less.

Please confirm anyone that has handled both which is the softer/lighter action rod.

Thanks.
Sir wait until you load up on a fish with the 802s. It isn’t stiff whatsoever. It’s protected plenty of light wire hooks on big river smallmouth for me. It’s an underrated rod for fishing truly light Neds.

I agree with others regarding the DSR ratings. They’re off due to vertical drop shot fishing. I did find it to have other uses however but I fish some light stuff. I found Zanders write up eons ago to be spot on.

I owned/fished nearly the entire NRX lineup on the spinning side. It was the only way to draw my own conclusions after after having read everything I could on them over the years. Like anything some models shined for my uses others not so much.

Good fishing.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:12 am

Thank you. I'm keeping both and getting the 822 SYR as well if I can find one. I know the new NRX are coming out but I got a deal on these and am excited to fish them this Spring.

Rick

eagleriver1_fish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eagleriver1_fish » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:16 am

Drakestar wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:55 pm
I don’t think they adjust the ratings, or need to. I’ve thrown 1/2oz DS weights on the DSR and it can do it. I didn’t feel comfortable doing it, though, and cast rather gingerly cause that would be an expensive broken tip.

But many people fish with these heavy DS weights up to 3/8, and it makes sense that Loomis would support up to 1/2oz on their DSR. (My personal go-to on that rod is only 1/8, I got a different rod rated up to 3/4oz for the heavier weights, but to each their own.)

If the SYR has a harder tip than the DSR those lure ratings make sense; harder tips that shut down faster support less lure weight. Softer tips are more forgiving on the cast and support more weight. So we’d expect the DSR to support a higher lure weight.

Agreed that the DSR is a one-trick pony, btw. But man, what a brilliant one-trick pony it is!
Thanks for the clarification on the lure rating of the dsr. I usually find Loomis to be on the conservative side of ratings, but the 1/2 oz on the dsr seems generous to me (the 893c is only rated 1/8 oz higher than the dsr), that was why I thought they may have adjusted for the technique, but I do understand the ability of the soft tip to handle weights better so that makes sense. Vertical fishing isn't an issue, but when casting with a 3/8 oz weight I do it gently. I couldn't agree with you more that it is an amazing rod for ds, I have a hard time putting it down. Thanks again.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:45 pm

Spinning Loomis

901 Nrx/IMX-PRO-- hairjigs, smallest of small finesse swimbaits, dropshotting long distances, small weighted neko and Flick shakes.
902 NrX/ Imx-pro- small to medium finesse applications. Probably tge finest most versatile 7'6" medium ever made! This is ideal for techniques that are to heavy for 901s
Conquest 902- It has different actions that are more moderate tgan identical models in NRX. Not as extra fast as nrx but it differs by having smoother casts, works with finesse hardbaits, and is more accurate than NRX. Nrx is the most sensitive!