tatula 701mrb?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

tatula 701mrb?

Post by Jason Penn » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:34 am

anyone have any experience with this rod? i'm looking for a rod similar to the old flexlite m power. i have a 7'2 mh flexlite, but it's just too stiff for what i'm wanting.

seems like generally, most crank or moderate bend rods are basically like dropping down a power from fast action rods. in other words a mh power moderate action equals a m power fast action. the flexlite i have is most definitely a mh power rod. i would love to find one of the m power flexlites, but they don't seem to pop up very often.

sarcazmo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: tatula 701mrb?

Post by sarcazmo » Fri Aug 30, 2019 2:55 pm

Definitely a medium powered rod. I love this rod. I have 3. I use it for jerkbaits, spinnerbaits, and shallow cranks. Very versatile

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:28 am

I found that both of my original Tatula' s are more like between a mod-fast and fast taper and not as slow as the regular taper they denote it as. Like sarcazmo said, it's a really versatile rod.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:44 am

thanks for the replies folks. i'm looking for a new spinnerbait rod, not a crank rod. i like slower action rods for them, i feel like i stick them better.

i try to limit myself to 5 rods while i'm fishing, so this rod will be used for 1/8-1/4oz buzzbaits, topwater, and probably squarebills at times also. i'm a fairly large, clumbsy guy. i have a tracker pt175, so there's not really much room to have rods dedicated to every technique...i would end up breaking 2 or 3 per trip!

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:59 am

Jason Penn wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:44 am
thanks for the replies folks. i'm looking for a new spinnerbait rod, not a crank rod. i like slower action rods for them, i feel like i stick them better.

i try to limit myself to 5 rods while i'm fishing, so this rod will be used for 1/8-1/4oz buzzbaits, topwater, and probably squarebills at times also. i'm a fairly large, clumbsy guy. i have a tracker pt175, so there's not really much room to have rods dedicated to every technique...i would end up breaking 2 or 3 per trip!
Are you staying around 1/4 for spinnerbaits as well? If so, you'll want to go with the ML inside out the M, especially if you prefer a slower taper. I have the ML as well and that's better suited to lures in that weight range.

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:21 pm

no, mostly 1/2oz. occasionally i may throw 3/8.

for buzzbaits, i usually like the smaller sizes and put some plastic on it to help cast it, as well as keep it up

adam lancia
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by adam lancia » Mon Sep 02, 2019 1:24 am

Gotcha, then yeah, the M is the way to go.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:27 am

I got the M Fle-X-Lite and it is my longest lasting rod in my lineup. I caught so many 4+lb smallmouth with it.

I fish a variety of reaction baits with it; topwater, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, lipless cranks, squarebills...even Texas rigs a couple times. The M does cast very well and has the deep bend when hooked up yet, is crisp to work topwaters and jerkbaits. Its like 4.2oz too.

I too tried the 7ft M Tatula and, it isnt even close.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

Jason Penn
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Jason Penn » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:05 am

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2019 6:27 am
I got the M Fle-X-Lite and it is my longest lasting rod in my lineup. I caught so many 4+lb smallmouth with it.

I fish a variety of reaction baits with it; topwater, spinnerbaits, jerkbaits, lipless cranks, squarebills...even Texas rigs a couple times. The M does cast very well and has the deep bend when hooked up yet, is crisp to work topwaters and jerkbaits. Its like 4.2oz too.

I too tried the 7ft M Tatula and, it isnt even close.
i had the 7' m years ago, but had to sell it due to finances. if i would've known then what i know now....i may've chose to sell a kidney instead :lol:

PaBass75
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by PaBass75 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:15 pm

I love my flexlite! It's prolly my most used moving bait rod. I've been looking for a second one and came across the Steez xt 701mrb. It's a little softer than the flexlite but feels similar otherwise.