Megabass Rod Question

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Megabass Rod Question

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm

For the owners of a SRD, what rod in the current line up is comparable ?

Does anyone own the poker and what do you like about it? How is it in terms of sensitivity?
Of the Poker and SRD, which is the better buy even though the SRD isn't currently available?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Megabass Rod Question

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:38 pm

And on the SRD, would you consider the Deep Crank Slow rolling a shorter version of it?
Has anyone flipped, pitched, punched with the SRD and lastly what reel do you have paired with it for whatever you do?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Fri Sep 13, 2019 5:16 am

I picked up an SRD this past spring as I was looking for a SB rod with the proportions of a “normal” bass rod.

The SRD is very much that, but I am honestly not 100% sure that I’m super in love with it. The shorter butt section comes with sharp decrease in casting distance for a rod that long and the rod itself is quite tip heavy, with the balance point being 4-6” in front of the locking nut with a Ryoga 1520 on it.

It is wonderfully sensitive for how powerful it is and it handles have a cover like a dream, but I definitely don’t enjoy using it for anything that is in a tip down retrieve with the reel. The Ryoga isn’t an ideal pitching reel by any means, but I did try a little pitching with a sv103 on it and the rod really doesn’t load much at all with anything under about 2 ounces. That combined with how tip heavy it is makes me not want to repeat the experiment.

Overall I still like the rod, but I’m starting to think that I just don’t throw heavy enough lures often enough to really justify keeping it around. I’m going to use it throughout the winter crawling 68 Specials across the bottom and unless that excels at that it will probably be on the chopping block come next spring.

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Fri Sep 13, 2019 7:26 am

goldrod wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 3:26 pm
Does anyone own the poker and what do you like about it? How is it in terms of sensitivity?
Of the Poker and SRD, which is the better buy even though the SRD isn't currently available?
Can't comment on the SRD, but I did own the Poker for about a year. I really liked the Poker, as much or more for it's asthetics as for it's functionality. I thought the rod loaded and cast really well with anything between 5/8th and 2.5 oz, especially for it's length. As for sensitivity, well..for a rod that is wrapped tip to stern, has eva grips and wieghs a tip forward 186 grams, it was better than respectable. It's marketed as a big jig/deep water rod, but it can do much more than that. I threw 6 inch huds on it, yo-yo'd TN 70's and 80's and of course big jigs. That said, I am not the most technique specific rod person.
Would never pay full price for it though, couldnt hardly resell my near perfect one for 50% retail...