A Lesson Worth Sharing

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by GaterB » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:31 pm

This thread is fantastic =D>
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 pm

389Maverick wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:22 am
I’m kinda baffled, you can’t be mentioning premium and then turning a blind eye on price :-s
Also, I wouldn’t necessarily utilize “mass production” and then slip in Luxxe into the mix :shock:
I see lots of subjectivity in your post, which is perfectly fine, but a lot needs to be taken into account when it comes to rods. Rolled in house, offshore/OEM, components, blank material, warranty, availability.

I am affiliated with MB, and not afraid to admit, that some rod series within Megabass are far more sensitive than its previous or current offerings.
Wasn’t a fan of the X4 in terms of sensitivity, but great components and dependable blank make it a wonderful treble hook rod. Plenty of obscure JDM rods are out there, Yamaga, Zenaq, Seditions, Designo to name a few, some harder to source, some practically impossible, all subjective as to sensitivity, with fluctuating price points, and understanding your competition is always a good thing.

That being said, subjectivity taken into account, a good friend was able to handle a prototype Destroyer Laiha which is part of the MPW (Megabass Performance Works) program……and he was blown away!
I am speaking from the stance of my personal experience.. The conditions were horrible and in all honesty I would have thrown in the towel had it not been for my guest. I am not bashing any brand and I dont think i came across that way. So there is no ambiguity in this thread what i was trying to emphasize was that, in times past I was told to step out of my comfort zone and try Other JDM rods.. Up until this day I've not used any other JDM rod other than Megabass. I own several MB rods and they are ok depending on which I am using. I have a definite love and appreciation for the X7 line up and in times past I was very hesitant to buy any that were listed here because of warranty concerns. I eventually took a leap and felt like i should have jumped a long time ago..

When i comes to the rods that I were able to use while I was out, I was simply throughly impressed.. I never stated all the rods I had on deck or all the rods that I own.. I have far too many rods and would like to downsize.. I recall even starting a thread asking those who've been where I am to tell me how they narrowed down what to sell and what to keep.
I can't afford some of the enthusiast sticks that I have seen on here conversely I'd like to put my money towards the best I can afford. I'd like to get a megabass evolution stick , evergreen and daiwa racing condition and compare the brands from an unbiased perspective and not over hype a rod brand or brands because I can sell them to you or I am an affiliate with the company like I see on so many YouTube reviews.
That was my only objective with this post. i wasn't meant offend anyone or bash any brand. Sharing an experience that had me really reconsidering the direction of my future purchases.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:05 am

My advice is along these lines... I know some people with more than a hundred ~$200 rods that complain and are envious of rods $400+++. They say they can’t afford them. ?!?!!?? Concentrating on getting 5-10 combos (or less!) that cover all your bases. Really with the same $20,000 (!!!) worth of rods you could buy ANYTHING on the market and still have tons of money left over. No one “needs” 100+ rods unless they’re a collector.

Cutting down a collection of benchwarmers into a quiver of elite starting lineup is a good way to start upgrading to combos you dream of.

I personally don’t have any problem covering everything I want with only 5-6 combos.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 am

Cranky wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:05 am
My advice is along these lines... I know some people with more than a hundred ~$200 rods that complain and are envious of rods $400+++. They say they can’t afford them. ?!?!!?? Concentrating on getting 5-10 combos (or less!) that cover all your bases. Really with the same $20,000 (!!!) worth of rods you could buy ANYTHING on the market and still have tons of money left over. No one “needs” 100+ rods unless they’re a collector.

Cutting down a collection of benchwarmers into a quiver of elite starting lineup is a good way to start upgrading to combos you dream of.

I personally don’t have any problem covering everything I want with only 5-6 combos.

Yeah that’s the exit that I was fast approaching
I have two rod racks and wasn’t buying a third.
Consolidation to an elite rack.
Another option was custom sticks.
Of the sticks I own I have my custom sticks with me most
My Otterods aren’t just ascetically pleasing they perform.

The only issues I’ve seen is selling rods are a bit tougher than selling reels and shipping too. You have to cut your losses when selling rods. It’s a painful lesson but hopefully the next person won’t have to learn the way I did.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:02 am

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:36 pm

This is the way.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:31 pm

goldrod wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:00 am
Cranky wrote:

Yeah that’s the exit that I was fast approaching
I have two rod racks and wasn’t buying a third.
Consolidation to an elite rack.
Another option was custom sticks.
Of the sticks I own I have my custom sticks with me most
My Otterods aren’t just ascetically pleasing they perform.

The only issues I’ve seen is selling rods are a bit tougher than selling reels and shipping too. You have to cut your losses when selling rods. It’s a painful lesson but hopefully the next person won’t have to learn the way I did.
It's counter intuitive, but IMO once you start getting into buying, its cheaper to just buy a few Met/NRX or Conquest type combos then accumulating dozens of rods you don't even use, or like that much.

chriso916
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by chriso916 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:46 am

Welcome to team eg....functionality ✔️power✔️ looks💯
8 years later still enjoying the stallion and air driver
Now enjoying the kaleido series nothing comes close

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:51 pm

chriso916 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:46 am
Thanks Man..
I've been reading and doing some research on them. I have not clicked the buy button yet but Its coming
I had to narrow down what I really wanted in my line up. Definitely not looking for a reaction rod so i have been looking at some t rig type rods

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun Dec 22, 2019 6:53 am

chriso916 wrote:
Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:46 am
I’ve had my Spin Cobra since 2007 and my Pantera for about the same time. Tried a couple others but weren’t perfect fits.
EG produces some pretty decent sticks.

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:28 am

Love EG rods, take a look at the Rapid Gunner for t rigs. Easily one of my favorite rods of all time. Balance, performance, aesthetics, perfect reel seat for my hands, it’s got it all for me.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:35 am

Cranky wrote:

^^This has been my aim

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:53 am

At the time I was considering evergreen for bottom contact word was they were being made by daiwa and nrx was king of sensitivity so kinda dismissed them.

Just found those Luxxe rods you speak of.. I really like the lure rating on that Oltre 70H 3/16-1 1/4. That could be a problem.

I have 7 "high end combos" I like to bring 5 in the boat, depending on Lake and time of year a couple get left behind. It started with that search for one bottom contact rod and once I found how nice nice was I wanted an ideal rod for each application. I try not to let it get too out of hand, if I'm not totally satisfied with a rod i'll sell it and try st else.

new2BC4bass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by new2BC4bass » Tue Dec 24, 2019 6:48 pm

Cranky wrote:

I don't have a $200 (my cost) rod in my arsenal although several were over $200 if not purchased on sale or used. Nor do I have a 100 rods although I am getting close when you add my spinning rods into the mix. Even so I have enough combos that it has reached a point that some rods/reels aren't seeing any use, yet I am very hesitant to sell any. Adding my costs up of the rods and reels I own probably comes to around $15,000 over the past 10 years.

I have to agree that I would much rather have 10 high end combos and be able to use them all on a consistent basis instead of using what I have only once in awhile. Even so the thought of spending $400-$500 on a single rod or reel has me hyperventilating although I'd not blink spending that much on 3 or 4 rods (or reels).

Unfortunately selling what I have would probably wind up yielding a sizeable cash loss. Shipping rods is expensive. Plus I like most of what I have (rods and reels). How do I decide what to sell and what to keep? How did you do it?

I don't know if I have the intestinal fortitude to sell off 95% of my rods and reels. Even knowing they would be replaced by 5 or 6 fantastic combos.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by GaterB » Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Reels can be shipped for a reasonable cost. Rods do tend to cost a bit more to ship just due to the length and materials needed (PVC offers the best protection).

I too condensed my lineup recently. I accepted the fact that I’d be taking a cash loss in exchange for gaining combos that I would enjoy using more. For me, my gear directly correlates with the level of enjoyment I experience fishing. It was worth it to downsize my arsenal and upgrade my gear. Now it doesn’t matter which combo I grab, I know I’m going to enjoy using it. That was not always the case before.
A fish in the hand is worth two in the brush