A Lesson Worth Sharing

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: A Lesson Worth Sharing

Post by Cranky » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:55 am

Agreed. I think most “modern” fishermen are wired to collect a pile of stuff and there’s been such a huge marketing push in the last 20 years into technique specific gear. That’s fine if that’s your deal but it doesn’t mean that’s how the real world works when you’re fishing one combo at a time. Let’s be honest, no one is going to prefer any specific one of a dozen medium spinning combos that are really all basically the same but branded “technique specific” $250 combos over something like a NRX852S with a Stella FJ (for a random example). Does that mean you need to spend $1500 on a single combo either? No!

There’s nothing wrong with ANY price range of gear and ppl sure seem to get hung up on stuff like that. I personally don’t get this new fishing culture where everyone “needs” dozens of combos. It just strikes me as a bit odd when I see guys with dozens of combos complain about how much money other ppl have into their gear when it’s really just a quality vs quantity debate.

Everyone’s budget is different, just trying to offer a little quality vs quantity perspective. Taking an honest assessment of your own collection might surprise you too.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:13 pm

Cranky
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Cranky » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:03 pm

:lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:59 am

Cristo wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:13 pm
I see woke people :lol:

Anyways i was looking through this tread as I have a RCS 20214 spool on its way that I found. As you know this spool fits in the Daiwa Z and I have seen some of them of late but the two tone Deps one I just can NOT. if it was one color I would but thats just me. I say that as I think about getting the one with the black racing stripes and having it painted pea green..lol

Anyhow something I think worth to be said after this years ICAST and my last custom rod. You may not always find what your looking for but you can always build what you want. Im only third custom rod and I can honestly say I have total confidence in them and the performance has been phenomenal. I have two rods on my wish list, one form evergreen and one from SRD and I think after that I will have a rod built just for Frogs.
I have a custom flip stick, a jerk bait rod, and jig rod so that really leaves the frog rod to get build as I dont do it myself.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Aug 06, 2021 11:34 am

Cranky wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:55 am
Agreed. I think most “modern” fishermen are wired to collect a pile of stuff and there’s been such a huge marketing push in the last 20 years into technique specific gear. That’s fine if that’s your deal but it doesn’t mean that’s how the real world works when you’re fishing one combo at a time. Let’s be honest, no one is going to prefer any specific one of a dozen medium spinning combos that are really all basically the same but branded “technique specific” $250 combos over something like a NRX852S with a Stella FJ (for a random example). Does that mean you need to spend $1500 on a single combo either? No!

There’s nothing wrong with ANY price range of gear and ppl sure seem to get hung up on stuff like that. I personally don’t get this new fishing culture where everyone “needs” dozens of combos. It just strikes me as a bit odd when I see guys with dozens of combos complain about how much money other ppl have into their gear when it’s really just a quality vs quantity debate.

Everyone’s budget is different, just trying to offer a little quality vs quantity perspective. Taking an honest assessment of your own collection might surprise you too.
I have that 20 combo mentality still, and it came from fishing tourneys 30 years ago. Old habits die hard I suppose. I have 18 combos at the moment.....and I no longer own a boat!
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

karirick
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by karirick » Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:52 pm

Cranky wrote:
Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:55 am

I turn 50 in October and after this upcoming Winter I hope to have 3-4 max combos total for Bass and Walley. 1 for Trout. 4 for Sturgeon and that's it.

I have an addictive personality (thankfully never a drug, gambling etc) and collected a lot of gear over the years with minimal fishing; lost thousands of dollars along the way selling/trading etc. Won't say its a regret; but thinning the herd alot and actually fishing my highest end stuff feels good so far this year and I hope feels even better in the future.

To each their own; but less is more is working for me.

Wish I could have done this 15-20 years ago.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:30 am

Precisely where I’m at as well sir.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:51 am

TravisNY wrote:
Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:30 am
Precisely where I’m at as well sir.
My applaud to you Sir,
Its not so easy for me because I was young and unlearned and they took my money..
but as I have gotten older and gotten understanding, I see behind the glitter. I am slowing thinning my line but have accepted that I'd rather fish some things than pay someone to get them off my hands. Id rather just have it on the rack because some people are relentless low balling insulting mud pigeons.. I recently sold two reels to a guy and honestly it hasn't settled with me.

I've been buying better quality stuff that I dont worry about breaking or warranties issues. For example
the shimano Poison Adrena rod is a good rod, with a Conquest 100 DC on it, its a very versatile stick ( speaking of the 7'2" heavy)
No its not a 1/2 oz jig rod for ME, but spinnerbaits, flukes, topwater , texas rigs, say jigs 3/8 and below, square bills and weightless lures i find it to be awesome. Its sensitivity is great but in my hands it is not as sensitive as a couple rods i own.
but it sure beats what I am reading about on some other threads. Quality over quality as someone shared with me and that doesnt mean that because its a $1000 rod its better or because its $100 its less, obviously to some degree on both.

One take away I have learned is what components does it have, what blank whats the carbon percentage, ALL QUESTION i never asked because I wasn't educated enough to know what they meant anyways...

I know some people are brand loyal and to whom they are loyal to, that company can do no wrong. but for me the days of sleepwalking to the tackle store with my wallet held out are over. I'd rather extended myself to a custom rod or a good JDM stick.
My problem was in the beginning i too was brand loyal and my optic view was narrow. Its life you live and learn.
I only wish I had learned sooner than later
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible