Deep cranking rod?

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Deep cranking rod?

Post by Matt_3479 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:21 pm

Looking at getting into deep cranking. Now that’s hunting seasons around fishing is going be a little slow for me but looking at getting it soon to make sure I have it for next season. Reel will be curado k or bantam mgl depending on budget. Never fished deep cranks so looking to try almost everything and anything! Looking at imx pro 906c, zodias 7’6” mh glass, or even considering a megabass launcher but due to length it’s bottom of the list but not completely thrown away as I have heard amazing things about it! Any recommendations

Winstondry
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Deep cranking rod?

Post by Winstondry » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:50 pm

I have the Megabass Launcher and was throwing this past weekend. First time for me to use it, and like it's name implies, it really launches baits. It's definitely the big brother to the Orochi XX Swingfire.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:13 pm

The Legend Glass 7'11 Heavy is a good deep crank rod. I have been able to work a variety of cranks from 8-30 feet. Loads nice and keeps fished pinned pretty well too.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 pm

I used to use an OG Tatula 721MHRB-Glass and honestly it worked almost as well as the Zillion 801MHRB-G, even though it was considerably shorter and rated for an ounce less, so IMO it's good you're not too hung up on length.
This is the way.

Matt_3479
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Matt_3479 » Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:27 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:56 pm
I used to use an OG Tatula 721MHRB-Glass and honestly it worked almost as well as the Zillion 801MHRB-G, even though it was considerably shorter and rated for an ounce less, so IMO it's good you're not too hung up on length.
I purchased on a whim a zillion 7’2” medium heavy regular and was told it would work great for deep cranks but at the time I was looking for a squarebill rod and sold it to a buddy and wish I never had now lol
Winstondry wrote:
Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:50 pm
I have the Megabass Launcher and was throwing this past weekend. First time for me to use it, and like it's name implies, it really launches baits. It's definitely the big brother to the Orochi XX Swingfire.
I’ve never had any megabass rods, almost everything is loomis. I know a gentleman that’s sponsored by loomis/shimano and get some good deals through him. He’s the one that runs the megabass launcher and said he’s been blown away with its performance!

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:10 pm

Matt_3479 wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:27 pm

I purchased on a whim a zillion 7’2” medium heavy regular and was told it would work great for deep cranks but at the time I was looking for a squarebill rod and sold it to a buddy and wish I never had now lol
Hey, what was that rod like? Based on the ratings and the way the 8 footer is constructed, I'm thinking the Zillion equivalent to the Tatula is actually the 721MRB-G.

The Tatula blank is clearly carbon only up to the first guide, then you can tell by the finish that it's glass composite above that.

The Zillion 801MHRB-G is a different beast altogether. It appears to be glass composite the entire length of the blank, it's really thick in the butt through the belly, it has a full grip, it only has one double-footed guide and the guides are smaller caliber, and it has an ACS reel seat. It's also only 7'11" long.
This is the way.