Tatula/cronos mlrb

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tatula/cronos mlrb

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 pm

1) I currently have a tael691mlrb Seth feider jerkbait rod but found another rod I like better for jerkbait. I am looking to throw 3/8-1/2 oz shallow cranks and square bills and I found an d video of Randy Howell in 2014 using the tatula tat701mlrb and a rapala dt6 to catch some big fish. Should the tael691mlrb be very similar to the 701mlrb besides being 3" shorter and having the split grip?

2) If the 701mlrb would be better for that I was wondering how similar the tatula elite and cronos are as I found a new cn701mlrb and I've wanted to try the cronos for a while (no point in buying it if it's very similar to the tael691mlrb).

3) Would a tat701mrb or cn701mrb be better for what I want?

Thanks (and yes I really need to Branch out from daiwa/megabass but I have the tael691mlrb already so I'm trying to ask about similar model rods).

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Tatula/cronos mlrb

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:33 pm

The handle lengths are the same ( cronos and tael691mlrb are split grip, tat701mlrb and the elite version are full grip) line and lure ratings are all the same, blank material for the cronos is hvf vs svf for the 3 tatulas. Without any hands on experience I'm going to guess there can't be a whole lot of difference in the action between the 4 rods and I should just use my tael691mlrb instead of buying a 701mlrb. I often read the cronos is lighter and more sensitive but I don't need that for this rod.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:55 pm

And just like that I was sucked right back in. $99 brand new and free shipping for a cronos cn701mlrb. I'll give it a shot.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:51 pm

Quiet in here....

Plus I thought your skins were in for the higher end JDM rods surprised to see you in the lower JDM arena :-k :lol:

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 pm

I had and regretfully sold the Cronos 701mlrb rod. It was great for small to mid-size cranks. I've been considering re-purchasing it myself.....but I would have to buy a reel, too. Heart-breaking, right?
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:54 pm

Cristo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:51 pm
Quiet in here....

Plus I thought your skins were in for the higher end JDM rods surprised to see you in the lower JDM arena :-k :lol:
Well my skins are in but my wallet isn't lol. I really really wanted to go for something different. Like one of the gamakatsu rods or evergreen rods but this one is just for light shallow cranks and I didn't feel like spending a lot on it. I need to do more research on the jdm rods and how and where to order them before I jump to the dark side.

I've got a lot of lower end gear right now and I'm planning on just using it and learning what I really like and want and then maybe getting just a few good jdm rods. I have 4 tatulas (one og, 3 elites), one second gen zillion rod, one cronos, one dobyns fury, one irod Genesis 2, 2 megabass (one levante and the jota sb). When I'm ready to move up I may end up letting a few of the tatulas go and either the fury or irod since I don't need both (frog rods). I'd like to have 5 or 6 setups I love and stick to those. Problem is I love all my reels and I wouldn't have a use for half of the if I did that.

That jota sb is my favorite right now and after reading goldrods lost about some of the jdm stuff I'm getting the itch.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 pm
I had and regretfully sold the Cronos 701mlrb rod. It was great for small to mid-size cranks. I've been considering re-purchasing it myself.....but I would have to buy a reel, too. Heart-breaking, right?
That is always the problem isn't it. That's how I end up with so much stuff. I keep saying I'm going to stop but then I find a reel or rod I "need".

Glad you liked the cronos for small to mid size cranks because I was worried about the ml being to much of a noodle. I probably shouldn't have bought it since I have the tael691mlrb and it probably could have done the exact same thing. It was listed as a jerkbait rod but it's only 3" shorter so I'm sure it isnt a whole lot different. I do that a lot.

The cronos for $99 was a good deal I thought

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:13 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:02 pm
hoohoorjoo wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:45 pm
That is always the problem isn't it. That's how I end up with so much stuff. I keep saying I'm going to stop but then I find a reel or rod I "need".

Glad you liked the cronos for small to mid size cranks because I was worried about the ml being to much of a noodle. I probably shouldn't have bought it since I have the tael691mlrb and it probably could have done the exact same thing. It was listed as a jerkbait rod but it's only 3" shorter so I'm sure it isnt a whole lot different. I do that a lot.

The cronos for $99 was a good deal I thought
Don't listen to Tim. He fell over the dark side of the cliff long, long ago haha. If you like Daiwa sticks (nothing wrong with that), maybe check out some of their JDM offerings. The recently acquired Heartland I showed you still makes my pants tighten every time I touch it.
I use to own a stable much too large to be practical. Once I finally figure out what I really need and like, I consolidated. It was like sell 3 combos and buy 1 - but totally worth it. I think I'm past my buy and try days, but every once in a while, something new and pretty pops up that I can't resist. I just try to make dang sure it's something I'm going to hang onto.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:20 pm

Which heartland did you get? I was looking through my texts but I don't see it. I have some of the point blank custom rods and a black and red rod next to your alphas air.

I need to get past my buy and try days as soon as possible. I'd like to narrow it down to a nice collection like yours and be done with it. I do like daiwa rods up until the tatula elites I've bought recently. The cronos, og tatula, and zillion rods were all great but there are a lot of little quality control issues with my elites.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:52 pm

Got the cronos today. Rod feels like it's going to be just what I wanted. Didn't realize it was rated 1/4-5/8 instead of 1/8-5/8 like the tatula elite and it does feel a little less like a noodle than the 691mlrb I have so I think it's going to workout great. Kind of feels more like a medium than a medium light (haven't fished with it yet though).

I gotta say the cronos, og tatula, and zillion all look like much better than the tatula elite and seem like they had better quality control.