High end frog rod: heavy-ish surface veg

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
FishNrace
Senior Angler
Senior Angler
Location: Canada - Fishing my life away any chance i get.....

Re: High end frog rod: heavy-ish surface veg

Post by FishNrace » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:43 pm

bronzefly wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:11 am
FishNrace wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 pm
Just saw the STZ751MHHFB-AGS on the daiwa site pop-up, available in red only. Wondering how this rod feels. I haven't seen daiwa rate a rod power as MHH before either....
It feels amazing! I was actually throwing a paddle tail Keitech in the grass this weekend on that rod, along with 1/2 and 3/4 oz jigs... There are some more details and pics on the Tackle Trap site about this rod. PM me for details 8-)
How does the tip of the new 751mhhf compare to the the existing STZ761HFB-AGS and STZ711MHXB-AGS? Is the 7.5 tip a true XF, Fast, or more give than a Fast? Thanks in advance.
And do you know if Daiwa is releasing more new ags rods in this lineup?

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:22 pm

Give Gary at the Tackle Trap a call-I had a great conversation with him about the rod a couple days ago.

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:35 pm

FishNrace wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:48 pm
Just saw the STZ751MHHFB-AGS on the daiwa site pop-up, available in red only. Wondering how this rod feels. I haven't seen daiwa rate a rod power as MHH before either....
The earlier TopGun Steez had a MH-H designation. 7'2" and specified as a frog rod. Used one for barra for a while. Great rod and worked well in heavyish cover.

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:36 am

I'm going to go 74 AGS it will pull double duty as a deep jig rod. If I get any other rod I'll just end up wanting that one. Thanks for all the great info as always TT!

jpmoney
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jpmoney » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:59 am

Obz wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:36 am
I'm going to go 74 AGS it will pull double duty as a deep jig rod. If I get any other rod I'll just end up wanting that one. Thanks for all the great info as always TT!
You’re gonna love that rod. It’s among my top favorites for heavy cover.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:27 am

Obz wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:36 am
Can’t go wrong with that one. Walks em great. It’s light and balances well with a lot of reels. Buy once cry once. Enjoy!

Obz
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Obz » Mon Dec 23, 2019 12:42 pm

Pulled the trigger with Gary at ttt. It's going to be a while before I can fish the rod on the water. I'll probably get some looks from the neighbors while throwing a frog in the snow next week.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:07 am

goldrod wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:00 pm
freelancer27 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:46 pm
I have the St Croix 7'4 Heavy. It is not a brromstick and has a fairly fast tip that should def allow you to walk a frog. I personally would not use it for that technique since the reel seat is not comfortable to me for that kind of downwards motion.

I use a Steez XBD frog rod for that technique. It is essence the same as the 7'4 XHeavy AGS. The AGS is a bit lighter due to the guies. Works well and has a lot of horse power to get them out of the thickest stuff.
I cannot agree more, the 7'4" heavy, is Not a good frog rod IMHO
Im awaiting the 7'2" poison adrena to compare to my XBD rod hopefully i will have more for you this weekend.

I think the poison 7'2 is a fantastic rod but I think you might be disappointed with it as a frog rod. More all around medium to light cover rod!

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:11 am

Always on the search for the best of technique rod!

I love my old fenwick elite tech froggin stik. 7'1" heavy with the perfect blend of tip and backbone for frogs! Casts distances great, easy walk the dog, shorter handle for ease of bait movement and roll casting.

My other go to is 7'5" heavy shimano zodias.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:40 am

Whats Evergreen JDM version of a frog rod? I thought they had an offering?
They are typically much more sensitive and allow for other techniques
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible