Where have all the Full handle Rods Gone

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
E73Bass
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Where have all the Full handle Rods Gone

Post by E73Bass » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Fenwick has the first generation WC at a reduced price right now on their web page.

http://www.fenwickfishing.com/fenwick-f ... ifications

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:58 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 am
toddmc wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:42 am
Any technique that requires a longer handle tucked under your armpit is substantially more comfortable with a full grip. You'll notice that swimbait rods with longer handles rarely have a split grip. A split grip is okay for shorter handles where the rear handle is not tucked under your armpit (i.e. jerkbait/topwater).
All of my custom rods have full cork. I did buy a 7'11"H Powell split grip swimbait rod back in the day before a blank this size was available for a custom build. I quickly removed the knob on the split grip and replaced it with full cork. This is easy to do if you love a split grip rod production rod, minus the split.
With grips like these, that is a non-issue:

I can see that with this type:

I much prefer the former, regardless of technique.
Yes, if I had to fish a split grip, a lot of the Daiwa rods give you enough grip on the end to be comfortable. Also, the end of the grip has to be very smooth for me. The Zillion rods are solid. I fish a lot of the OG Zillion reels. So, I am trying to counterbalance the heavier reel with more weight on the rear handle by using full cork. I really like the seat and handle on the Destroyer that Cal posted.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:14 pm

Yeah, all those Destroyer grips are killer, full or split.
This is the way.

SteveSchmelzle
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by SteveSchmelzle » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:03 pm

JBcrankaddict wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am
I’ve always wondered why more companies don’t make both split and full grips available. It’s pretty obvious some people prefer one over the other so why keep limiting them to only one option?
same reason Shimano won't release all reels in left handed models.

manufacturers do their best to shape and curve customer demands (to increase their profits).

and many people are easily swayed by what they are told.

light rods and lighter reels, with higher gear ratio's, are automatically better.

When in fact, if you fish a lot, you quickly realize that isn't the case. But most anglers who buy these high end items will listen to what they are told, as they fish a dozen or so times a year.

edit: don't get me started on the EVA foam craze either. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
1-2%

Carlos Carrapiço
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Carlos Carrapiço » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:14 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:03 pm
edit: don't get me started on the EVA foam craze either. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Looking forward to hear you

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:46 pm

SteveSchmelzle wrote:

What's wrong with EVA? I admit some are better than others, but for the most part foam grips are light, durable, inexpensive, there's no filler to fall out, it provides a good grip even when it's wet or cold, it looks good...

I do wish they would advertise the type of foam used, so that if you like the softer stuff for moving baits vs the stiffer kind for contact baits, you know which kind you're getting.
This is the way.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:57 pm

poisonokie wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:46 pm
SteveSchmelzle wrote:

What's wrong with EVA? I admit some are better than others, but for the most part foam grips are light, durable, inexpensive, there's no filler to fall out, it provides a good grip even when it's wet or cold, it looks good...

I do wish they would advertise the type of foam used, so that if you like the softer stuff for moving baits vs the stiffer kind for contact baits, you know which kind you're getting.
It's subjective of course. I prefer it. As you said, dense, high quality. Manufacturers obviously use it to save money, though the majority of cork seen on production rods is garbage anyways. Cork gets dirty, requires maintenance, and just doesn't appeal to me like a tight, dense Eva does. I don't own a single stick with cork any longer. I like the stealth, sleek appearance.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:27 pm

^^^Ditto, I have a couple budget sticks with cork and 1 Expride, but much prefer EVA. All my custom sticks are EVA. It weighs more than cork, so it helps with the balance of the rod.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

domthewon
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by domthewon » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:07 pm

I bought into the hype a while back that cork handled rods are more sensitive than eva, but most of my recent purchases have been rods with eva. They are some of the most sensitive rods i own and I prefer them over cork as well. Full handled or split grip isn't important to me as long as the rod and reel balance well together.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:11 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:27 pm
^^^Ditto, I have a couple budget sticks with cork and 1 Expride, but much prefer EVA. All my custom sticks are EVA. It weighs more than cork, so it helps with the balance of the rod.
I didn't know EVA was heavier, but the maintenance associated with keeping cork nice sucks IMO. You don't hve to do anything to it ever, whereas cork gets gross after a couple trips unless it is treated.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm

Well, the good eva is heavier, anyway. The dense, firm stuff is what I ask for on a custom rod. Dont ever make the mistake of buying a rod with hypalon handles, though. That stuff gets brittle and stiff with regular sunlight exposure, and it will actually crack and chunk just like cork. The Dobyns Colt series has hypalon, iirc.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:21 pm

hoohoorjoo wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:59 pm
Well, the good eva is heavier, anyway. The dense, firm stuff is what I ask for on a custom rod. Dont ever make the mistake of buying a rod with hypalon handles, though. That stuff gets brittle and stiff with regular sunlight exposure, and it will actually crack and chunk just like cork. The Dobyns Colt series has hypalon, iirc.
Reminds me of that 1st Airrus rod... Whatever it was called.

MardukFIN
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by MardukFIN » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:13 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:57 pm
poisonokie wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:

It's subjective of course. I prefer it. As you said, dense, high quality. Manufacturers obviously use it to save money, though the majority of cork seen on production rods is garbage anyways. Cork gets dirty, requires maintenance, and just doesn't appeal to me like a tight, dense Eva does. I don't own a single stick with cork any longer. I like the stealth, sleek appearance.
Have you tried CFX carbon grips? Very good looking and even lighter than EVA!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:07 pm

MardukFIN wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:13 pm
Hogsticker2 wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:57 pm
poisonokie wrote:
SteveSchmelzle wrote:

Have you tried CFX carbon grips? Very good looking and even lighter than EVA!
I have indeed. I think I like the Batson Forecast carbon grips a touch better though.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:20 pm

that lipless crank is bigger then some of the fish I catch ;)