Sensitive Moving Bait Rods

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Sensitive Moving Bait Rods

Post by goldrod » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:06 pm

Are not top water lures moving baits?
Where do you stand in terms of buying the most sensitive rod since not much sensitivity is needed as opposed to the ability of the rod to impart action on the lure with little to no effort, to cast accurately ( taking length into account of course) and the ability to keep the fish pinned and boated.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm

goldrod wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:06 pm
Where do you stand in terms of buying the most sensitive rod since not much sensitivity is needed as opposed to the ability of the rod to impart action on the lure with little to no effort, to cast accurately ( taking length into account of course) and the ability to keep the fish pinned and boated.
Kind of an apples to oranges situation here. Topwater baits are, most of the time, visible. Sensitivity is not need when you can literally see the strike. Chuckin' and windin' is generally taking place somewhere deeper than the above (pardon the pun) in the water column, where we rely on feel primarily as opposed to sight. Granted we need to feel the weight of the fish on a topwater strike to help ensure a positive hookset, but that is a bit different. Just my two pennies.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:13 am

Great thread, lots of interesting takes....I remember when it was faux pa for anything other than glass for "moving baits" because that thought train was anything at the time other than glass would pull the lure before positive hook up.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:40 am

Gone Phishin wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm
goldrod wrote:
Kind of an apples to oranges situation here. Topwater baits are, most of the time, visible. Sensitivity is not need when you can literally see the strike. Chuckin' and windin' is generally taking place somewhere deeper than the above (pardon the pun) in the water column, where we rely on feel primarily as opposed to sight. Granted we need to feel the weight of the fish on a topwater strike to help ensure a positive hookset, but that is a bit different. Just my two pennies.
And really even if you don't see the strike you'll hear it. Still, I think it's helpful to feel it as well, especially at night. Feedback is always valuable to me in a rod regardless of technique, but it's not the only thing that matters, especially in a moving bait rod.
This is the way.

Cristo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Cristo » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:45 am

Must have sensitivity to avoid these situations 8-)

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:16 pm

Gone Phishin wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:53 pm
goldrod wrote:
Great point!
I just I’d throw that out there and see what the thoughts were.
I have an Otomat and I think it was designed as a square bill rod but I’ve heard people use it for jerkbaits. I just use it for pop max With sunline mono
It doesn’t woow me in terms of sensitivity but I haven’t used it much either
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible