New Fenwick Techna

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

New Fenwick Techna

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:14 am

Just made it home and the new fenwick Techna rod was waiting for me as well as an Otomat

Before I get into it.. Id like to say Thanks to Brain at the Tackle Trap.. Customer Service seems to have different meaning to different people but I can say that I needed something ASAP and He went Above and Beyond to help me out and without getting into the specifics.. I would just like to say thanks.. I got it in time.. Thanks to Gary for helping me with that other issue.

About this new Techna, I have the medium version.. its part of an anniversary gift that below $200.
I love the "Feel" of this rod.. I am about to go play with it.. I've put my PXTR on it and need to spool it but I also put the SSSV on it..
The reel seat is A M A Z INGGGG.. Guides line up and its a relatively light stick.. I've got to clean up and get out and see what this stick is about.. I had an opportunity to buy some old ones but I passed..
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: New Fenwick Techna

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 pm

Did they order it in for you? I'd like to hear more about it after you've fished it.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:59 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:12 pm
Did they order it in for you? I'd like to hear more about it after you've fished it.

It was ordered from TWH and over nighted..
I have caught fish on it already on 8lb mono and 1/8 jig head shakey ned hybrid but tomorrow if I am hoping to go on the water.
Its not whippy and for now seems like exactly what I was hoping for. It balances well with my little pixtr. It doesn't even seem like its such a small reel with it.. if i were using braid or floro I know I could enhance the sensitivity but Im using mono to get a base line.. It loads well and seems like you could use the rod for a few techniques.. But the Jury is still out
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 pm

Oh. That's confusing because you mentioned Brian and the Tackletrap.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:35 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:03 pm
Oh. That's confusing because you mentioned Brian and the Tackletrap.
Ok I see

I had two thoughts I was expressing.
One was a “Thank You “ to Brian who helped me but that was separate from the Rod. It came from TWH and was an anniversary gift from my wife. We were supposed to keep the gifts at $200 or less. Sorry for the confusion

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am

What's your honest opinion of those guides?
This is the way.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 am

poisonokie wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am
There are 10 guides, the bottom two are double foot and the top eight are not but the top eight seem semi micro.
they smaller than normal but not micro. There appears to be a good bit of attention to detail, ie no slop at all on them.
Those are my observations from a cosmetic point of view. Performance wise I am still making my determination

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:47 am

goldrod wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:56 am
poisonokie wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 9:03 am
There are 10 guides, the bottom two are double foot and the top eight are not but the top eight seem semi micro.
they smaller than normal but not micro. There appears to be a good bit of attention to detail, ie no slop at all on them.
Those are my observations from a cosmetic point of view. Performance wise I am still making my determination
I'm glad to hear they implemented such a guide train. It's about time more companies get away from "regular" sized guides capable of casting 400# test.
This is the way.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 am

Happy anniversary goldrod!

Thanks for the update on the new Techna's. I've always been a fan of the original Techna series.

I was originally bummed on this new release, since Fenwick didn't mention the use of any of their Aramid Veil designs, like Timco/Fenwick offers. That's good to hear about the semi micro guides.

For $200 that 6'10" ML casting rod sounds very interesting.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:23 am

Schlag wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 am
Happy anniversary goldrod!

Thanks for the update on the new Techna's. I've always been a fan of the original Techna series.

I was originally bummed on this new release, since Fenwick didn't mention the use of any of their Aramid Veil designs, like Timco/Fenwick offers. That's good to hear about the semi micro guides.

For $200 that 6'10" ML casting rod sounds very interesting.

Thanks!!
I’ve been in the Kitchen lol

I’m familiar with the history of the techna design and this one is my very first one. I was looking at the ML as well but when I spoke with the rep I was questioning the backbone of the ML so he suggested the Med. and that’s the one I went with.