Football Jig / Heavier Fluke rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Football Jig / Heavier Fluke rod

Post by Riverguy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:08 am

I'm looking for a rod for casting jigs and keel weighted caffeine shads into sparse cover. Dont want a broomstick, ideally something w/an XF(ish) tip that will drive a hook home on a long cast in shallow water. A crisp/fast tip isnt too heavy if that makes sense. Something under $200, in MH-H, XF or F, 7'3" +/- .

I'd found the one for the last 2 seasons, a discontinued Cabelas Arachnid 7'3" H XF Football Jig rod that was absolutely perfect. I absolutely loved that rod...Until a recent incident involving a long cast attempt on another rod & a Sammy :?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Football Jig / Heavier Fluke rod

Post by goldrod » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:27 am

There are alot of options. just depends on your brand loyalty or if you are willing to step outside of the box.
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Fri Oct 11, 2019 11:49 am

Riverguy wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 6:08 am
I'm looking for a rod for casting jigs and keel weighted caffeine shads into sparse cover. Dont want a broomstick, ideally something w/an XF(ish) tip that will drive a hook home on a long cast in shallow water. A crisp/fast tip isnt too heavy if that makes sense. Something under $200, in MH-H, XF or F, 7'3" +/- .

I'd found the one for the last 2 seasons, a discontinued Cabelas Arachnid 7'3" H XF Football Jig rod that was absolutely perfect. I absolutely loved that rod...Until a recent incident involving a long cast attempt on another rod & a Sammy :?
If it's dubbed an Arachnid, it's probably a Cabela's branded version of some Tatula variant.
This is the way.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:57 pm

when discounted the Kistler HE3 7'3H fits the bill. At full retail the value of this rod is great. it is listed as xfast but I'd say the tip is near perfect for any type of plastic fishing. I fish frogs on it most often but use it for 7 inch Senko's quite often.

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:06 pm

[/quote]

If it's dubbed an Arachnid, it's probably a Cabela's branded version of some Tatula variant.
[/quote]

I understand where you're coming from based off the reels being diawa made, but these rods just dont put off much of a daiwa vibe (though I'm admittedly not well versed in Daiwas upper end stuff). A big selling point on the archanids was "S.U.P.R." resin technology or something or other claiming the rods became more parabolic or something fighting a fish vs loading when casting- I dunno how much weight that held per say, or if Daiwa ever marketed something w/similar jargon... But after owning 5 of them there were 3 absolute Gems in the lineup, & rightfully so for an originally $200 store brand stick. I did notice that some of the other rods in the cabelas line up had similar weight ratings/lengths/palm swell reel seats, etc...I need to look, last I was in there the BPS rods had made themselves at home and I dont recall any Cabelas rods other than the fish eagles.

Riverguy
Angler
Angler

Post by Riverguy » Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:07 pm

DavidSA wrote:
Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:57 pm
when discounted the Kistler HE3 7'3H fits the bill. At full retail the value of this rod is great. it is listed as xfast but I'd say the tip is near perfect for any type of plastic fishing. I fish frogs on it most often but use it for 7 inch Senko's quite often.

That does look good! I've always been intrigued by kistler. Hows the balance/tip heaviness?

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:16 pm

Very good but not perfect. Balance point with Shimano met reel is 2.5 to 3 inches and n front of lockdown but

Rod weight is roughly 4.5oz

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:21 pm

I have the 73LMH H3. IMO the balance is quite poor, so the 73H can only be worse.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Post a picture or state where it balances.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:45 pm

It is at my parents house so I can't take a picture, but without a reel I measure it at around 10.5 inches from the middle of the reel seat. With a reel it was never even quite at the hook hanger, even with a heavier reel like the K. Other posters have commented on the balance similarly in other threads.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:00 am

I did not look relative to hook hanger but the 7'3H is 2.5 to 3 inches from lock down nut depending on where you want to measure my finger with a 6.2oz reel. For a longer rod without weight put into the handle this is very good based on my experience. I think the talk of balance takes away from how sensitive and good a hook set this rod has.

I've had bad bouts with tennis elbow and always wear braces when fishing now. If the balance of the rod had irritation affects on my forearm I'd be feeling it. My loved NRX894's have counter balance weights on them but I don't see any reason to need this on the slightly shorter kistler rod in question. Can't comment on other model Heliums because I don't own them. But for a football jig and heavy fluke rod the 7'3H is great. Mine is about 2 years old and I'm making the assumption the rod is still the same. If the HE3 has been updated then my comments may not be accurate any longer.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Fair enought but in the case of the 73LMH, I expected better balance for a 3.5 power rod at $300.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:53 pm

That's why I almost invariably have custom rods built for bottom-contact applications, if they need to be over 7'. I have counterbalances installed on all my customs. Sounds strange, but adding weight at the butt actually makes the rod feel lighter, plus the sensitivity is increased. I have a jacked-up right shoulder, so balance is now a necessity for me to enjoy fishing.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

russ57
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by russ57 » Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:16 pm

How did you pay for your customs?

MNBassin03
Angler
Angler

Post by MNBassin03 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:22 am

It's a bit more expensive, but the Tatula Elite M/MH Ehler Finesse Rod is very underrated. I'd highly recommend for both techniques you are looking for. It's also a great stick for fighting the fish, keeps them pinned. I own many top brands, NRX, Steez, Conquest and still own two of these and absolutely love them and use them more than all the others this year. Something about that rod in that lineup.