Football Jig / Heavier Fluke rod

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Football Jig / Heavier Fluke rod

Post by DavidSA » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 pm

the challenge with a custom is not only cost but sometimes blank availability. I am big fan of NRX rods because the blank is suburb for bottom bouncing and I can balance the rod any way I want; then change it on a dime. If I want.

NRX 893 for example
IMG_4214.jpg
IMG_4214.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 3506 times
IMG_4213.jpg
IMG_4213.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 3506 times

I don't recall what I have in the chair leg protector but I am certain it is either nothing or 1 quarter. The NRX 893 is like a 3.8oz nothing weight rod so if I removed the but cap it would balance maybe 3 inches in front of the lock down nut but still becaues it weights nothing, it would not be a problem. Many rods have bigger butts that won't accept a chair leg protector but NRX rods are golden. You can say it is ugly and I'm OK with that. I'm purely performance guy. My NRX 894 is actually butt heavy because I want the tip to be able to offset my 1/2 to 1oz rig at least in part when I pitch.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:26 pm

DavidSA wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:12 pm
the challenge with a custom is not only cost but sometimes blank availability...”
Totally agreed sir but would also add warranty into the mix. Though I’ve broken so very few rods in my lifetime that I barely remember those that I broke. I do like that piece of mind and am willing to pay for it. There was a time many years ago before split grips and no foregrip were “the thing” and rare that all of my rods were custom. Every one of them to achieve it. Those days for me have long passed.

I do like knowing that if I do break one (I fish on some of the most remote/tough on equipment rivers on the east coast) a replacement is on its way the same day. My choice. Been there on customs. Peoples opinions differ and that’s fine of course. Mileage varies

I think you’ve done very well on those sticks and obviously they’re top performers in your hands. That’s all that matters.
Team flannel, overtime and promotion.

DavidSA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by DavidSA » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:20 pm

yes warranty is a good add

I've broken 4 rods in my life. one was a mfg defect or shipping damage. The other three were likely something I did