Bfs rod questions

A specialized forum to discuss anything and everything about your favorite or not so favorite fishing rods.
Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Bfs rod questions

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:32 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:00 pm
jvelth74 wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:45 am
LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:02 am
I've never seen a trout casting rod with BFS labeling on it. BFS is usually reserved for bass gear.
Kuying Teton SUL, UL (and L) are trout, or rainbow trout, stream fishing BFS rods. Those really are not intended for perch, walley (zander?) or pike. And because of that I can say that those are not for bass.
There are no BFS markings on the Teton. Tetons are more of a stream or area type trout rods. BFS rods differ from other light abs UL powered casting rods in that they have much more backbone and power than other UL casting rods. There is a reason why Majorcraft does not label their Fonetail trout rods as BFS but they do with their bass rods.
I generally agree with your statement. Still, some Major Craft Rods, eg N-One for saltwater, and the ABU KRX for salt carry the BF(S) label while having soft actions and not being intended for bass...
The fishing industry/world is not very strong on precise definitions...

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:23 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:32 pm
LowRange wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
I've never seen a trout casting rod with BFS labeling on it. BFS is usually reserved for bass gear.
Kuying Teton SUL, UL (and L) are trout, or rainbow trout, stream fishing BFS rods. Those really are not intended for perch, walley (zander?) or pike. And because of that I can say that those are not for bass.
There are no BFS markings on the Teton. Tetons are more of a stream or area type trout rods. BFS rods differ from other light abs UL powered casting rods in that they have much more backbone and power than other UL casting rods. There is a reason why Majorcraft does not label their Fonetail trout rods as BFS but they do with their bass rods.
I generally agree with your statement. Still, some Major Craft Rods, eg N-One for saltwater, and the ABU KRX for salt carry the BF(S) label while having soft actions and not being intended for bass...
It is an important distinction to make. I own my Volkey BFS UL because the original owner bought it assuming it would be an UL casting rod suitable for trout only to find out that it was WAY too stiff for his liking.

Dalleinf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Dalleinf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Among other unfortunate purchases, I have two Volkeys (L and ML BfS) that I intended to use for trout fishing :oops: :lol: They are way too fast action for that purpose. Still, I like the rods and have kept them for perch fishing, which I do not do very often.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:28 pm

Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:20 am
prybis wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:04 am
I know that BFS started off for bass fishing but has since been spun off for trout fishing. Now you can find Bass BFS rods and Trout BFS rods. The same came be said for the spools from my understanding. Instead of looking for a BFS rod try searching for the size and weight of the lure you are trying to cast.
Also, keep in mind that in general, if 2 rods have the same ratings, length and such but, one is labeled Bass and the other Trout (area or whatever), the trout will be a little softer in action.
Right, so I got the major craft msx UL bfs (regular fast) and if I went with the fine tail area UL (fast) the fine tail should be softer. Maybe closer to a UL spinning rod I might find at the store or something?

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:36 pm
Among other unfortunate purchases, I have two Volkeys (L and ML BfS) that I intended to use for trout fishing :oops: :lol: They are way too fast action for that purpose. Still, I like the rods and have kept them for perch fishing, which I do not do very often.
Seems like everyone liked the old volkeys so I guess it can't be that bad of a purchase. Well except you rarely use them I guess.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Dalleinf wrote:
LowRange wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Yeah it would be nice if they all had the same definitions of power and action. Maybe put accurate lure weight ratings on their rods.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:33 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:23 pm
Dalleinf wrote:
LowRange wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
It is an important distinction to make. I own my Volkey BFS UL because the original owner bought it assuming it would be an UL casting rod suitable for trout only to find out that it was WAY too stiff for his liking.
Sounds like it worked out for you. I was looking for one for a while before I gave up and bought the msx

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:35 pm

LowRange wrote:
jvelth74 wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Makes sense. I was definitely surprised by how much backbone the msx UL feels like it has (haven't actually used it yet. Waiting on a reel). It's so light and thin seems like it would be a noodle but it's definitely got a backbone.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:36 pm

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:35 pm

Makes sense. I was definitely surprised by how much backbone the msx UL feels like it has (haven't actually used it yet. Waiting on a reel). It's so light and thin seems like it would be a noodle but it's definitely got a backbone.
It's no noodle, but if you hook into to a big, angry bass you best keep your wits about you.
This is the way.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:28 pm
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
prybis wrote:
I know that BFS started off for bass fishing but has since been spun off for trout fishing. Now you can find Bass BFS rods and Trout BFS rods. The same came be said for the spools from my understanding. Instead of looking for a BFS rod try searching for the size and weight of the lure you are trying to cast.
Also, keep in mind that in general, if 2 rods have the same ratings, length and such but, one is labeled Bass and the other Trout (area or whatever), the trout will be a little softer in action.
Right, so I got the major craft msx UL bfs (regular fast) and if I went with the fine tail area UL (fast) the fine tail should be softer. Maybe closer to a UL spinning rod I might find at the store or something?
While I don't have the pleasure of owning a Finetail everything I know about the rods would indicate that it is completely different animal from a Majorcraft BFS anything. A Finetail would be an ideal rod for trout from what I gather. I don't own one but have enough info on it and confidence in MC to buy one with a very high degree of confidence that it would be an ideal trout rod.

Now, if I wanted to test the waters before purchase then a Kuying Teton is advisable. Tetons are VERY affordable and fit the bill for the most part in action and power for the role intended while offering good components at a great price. My 1st "Trout" rod was a Kuying and so was my 1st Seabass L powered rod. My 1st Ajing will most likely also be a Kuying. I have a lot or faith in that brand to give me an honest well built rod in the ball park of what is considered normal for that type of rod while still impressing me with the build quality and taper.

Even then. When it is time to upgrade then upgrade to a Majorcraft. Majorcraft rods are a cut above Kuying for sure. They can be an affordable enthusiast tier if they makes sense.

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:01 am

LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
prybis wrote:
While I don't have the pleasure of owning a Finetail everything I know about the rods would indicate that it is completely different animal from a Majorcraft BFS anything. A Finetail would be an ideal rod for trout from what I gather. I don't own one but have enough info on it and confidence in MC to buy one with a very high degree of confidence that it would be an ideal trout rod.

Now, if I wanted to test the waters before purchase then a Kuying Teton is advisable. Tetons are VERY affordable and fit the bill for the most part in action and power for the role intended while offering good components at a great price. My 1st "Trout" rod was a Kuying and so was my 1st Seabass L powered rod. My 1st Ajing will most likely also be a Kuying. I have a lot or faith in that brand to give me an honest well built rod in the ball park of what is considered normal for that type of rod while still impressing me with the build quality and taper.

Even then. When it is time to upgrade then upgrade to a Majorcraft. Majorcraft rods are a cut above Kuying for sure. They can be an affordable enthusiast tier if they makes sense.
Also you can buy 3 tetons for the price of one finetail lol (or close to it). I'm looking for a trout rod but wanted to try a casting rod. Who knows, I may hate it and go back to spinning. My favorite lake to fish is also stocked with trout and the lake it feeds (is more of a wide river) is almost all trout and I'd like to use it there as well as a river I camp at occasionally. There is the possibility of hooking up on a bass at the larger lake but my average bass there is 1-2lbs with the occasional 3lb (some smaller, and one time my son caught a 5lb). There are larger ones in there obviously and the lake record is around 16lb.

I haven't learned how to catch big fish yet so I think I'm safe lol

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:49 am

chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:01 am
LowRange wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:59 am
chrisg_sdcf wrote:
Hobie-Wan Kenobi wrote:
prybis wrote:

Also you can buy 3 tetons for the price of one finetail lol (or close to it). I'm looking for a trout rod but wanted to try a casting rod. Who knows, I may hate it and go back to spinning. My favorite lake to fish is also stocked with trout and the lake it feeds (is more of a wide river) is almost all trout and I'd like to use it there as well as a river I camp at occasionally. There is the possibility of hooking up on a bass at the larger lake but my average bass there is 1-2lbs with the occasional 3lb (some smaller, and one time my son caught a 5lb). There are larger ones in there obviously and the lake record is around 16lb.

I haven't learned how to catch big fish yet so I think I'm safe lol
You will be surprised how well UL casting rods can handle big fish. I have caught plenty of nice pike and bass on my lightest casting rod, which is a noodle
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

chrisg_sdcf
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by chrisg_sdcf » Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Well got the Finetail FAX-B642UL today. Haven't used it yet but it looks very nice. Definitely a noodle compared to the msx bfs ul rod. Seems like it's going to be a fun trout rod.

Major craft definitely makes a good looking rod.